5th gen rear brake adapter - interest check

eyrwbvfr

Question

A year ago I went down the path of de-linking my VFR brake system.   The front brakes were pretty straight forward using the VTR setup.   However, in the rear, it was a bit more involved.  I didn't want to use the OEM caliper and modify it.  So, I designed an adapter that mounts on the existing hanger to mount a standard Brembo P32 caliper.   If you are planning to de-link your VFR800, 5th gen, this is a good solution for the rear brake.   It gets rid of the large OEM caliper.   This adapter bolts on to the stock hanger and will mount a Brembo P32 caliper in the same OEM underslung position.  The advantage of this adapter over a complete hanger is that disassembly of the hub and spindle is not necessary.   Well, also, it is simpler and therefore lower cost. 

You will need to make sure to source the correct version of the caliper as there are a few available. You must get the version where the bleed nipple is on the side closest to the mounting ears, same side of the banjo bolt.   I got the version where the bleed nipple was farther from the mounting ears.   It completely crashes the spokes and the tire valve.   As you can see in the attached pictures, the bleed nipple and banjo bolt are on the side opposite the wheel when mounted.   The P34 version is slightly bigger (34mm vs 32mm) and the pads may be too big for the rotor.   Also, make sure you have enough brake line length reach the caliper.  Bleeding will be no more difficult than the stock one.  Although, it may be easier to flush/bleed it before mounting. 

Anyway, this is just an interest check to see if it is worth making another batch of five or more.   Cost will be around the same of $125 plus shipping.    

Edit.  added the following:

DISCLAIMER:
* For off-road use only.
* You modify your bike at your own risk.
* You are responsible to decide if these components are good enough for the use or abuse you will subject them to.
* In using these components, you agree that I am in no way responsible or liable for anything that happens to or because of them.
* If you don't think they are up to the job, or if you don't think you can accept responsibility for mounting and using them, please return the item and I will issue you a prompt refund.
* When mounting, use thread lock and/or safety wire all fasteners.

20190604_191650.jpg

20190604_192133.jpg

brake adapter 1 small.jpg

brake adapter 2 small.jpg

• Answers 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Member Contributer

Brilliant! I was going to do exactly this for this same caliper. I am already using the same one on my RZ350 after the suspension swap. I’m in for one for sure.

I believe this version would work nicely also, side entry fittings on the correct side. They have 32 and 34mm.

https://www.oppracing.com/product_display/13263-brembo-oe-brake-caliper-p34-left-black-w-07bb2050/

Cool!  Yes I believe so.  One of the buyers of the first batch used this version.   I would recommend this now since you will have much more clearance.   It clears on mine but only a few mm's.

I can only verify the 32mm.  One buyer who used the 34mm had to cut down the corners of the pads.  I am making some minor changes to have more clearance and to move the caliper a bit to have more pad contact (and wheel clearance).   After a few hundreds on my bike, the pads have a very small area of non-contact on the very outer edge.  I have to eliminate that for obvious reasons.

• Member Contributer

I would go with the 32, I only added the link above to 34 because there were no pictures of the 32. The hidden added benefit of the side entry fitting and bleeder is no chance of smacking them with the wheel when removing/replacing it. Good that you are making the change to remove pad overhang. I used a 32 from a Ducati Monster on my other bike with a Brembo 11mm master cylinder and it has plenty of power without being grabby. Lever geometry will obviously also play a part in the overall feel/effort equation. Thanks again for doing this!

Oo, I can see this on my Viffer,  Ola-la.  Guess I best start looking for a caliber. Curious question before hand,  Does Nissin have a caliber that works for this set up?  Asking as that's what's up front  😉  

congratulations on a job well done.  i also wished you used the nissin rear caliper from a rc51.  it would of cost a lot less.  

• Member Contributer

The RC51 Nissin is a single piston caliper so it needs to slide in the bracket, so not a bolt on conversion. Underslung caliper upgrade kits for the RC51 actually use this Brembo caliper.

16 hours ago, VFR750F3 said:

congratulations on a job well done.  i also wished you used the nissin rear caliper from a rc51.  it would of cost a lot less.  

Thanks, it was a fun & enjoyable project!

11 hours ago, Dangeruss said:

The RC51 Nissin is a single piston caliper so it needs to slide in the bracket, so not a bolt on conversion. Underslung caliper upgrade kits for the RC51 actually use this Brembo caliper.

Correct, that caliper is fixed and not self adjusting. The dual piston is floating, self adjusting and is more forgiving for position (left-right).  I will check later to see what size master I used.

After closer inspection and measuring of my pads, I found the caliper is correctly located as designed.   The pad overhang is due to the pad being oversized.  The piston is 32mm but the pad is 34mm and the rotor is only 30mm.   So, 4mm of the pad is overhanging.  I either move the caliper down 4mm, which grinds the non-machined part of the rotor or simply cut 4mm off the pads.  Since the pads are consumable parts and I don't want to damage the rotor, I'll just Dremel off 4mm.

I used a drill bit to check clearance while the caliper was still mounted.  0.150" is just under 4mm.

20200810_065819.thumb.jpg.116d0aedda71cbef699a110d0f3a2a83.jpg20200810_065913.thumb.jpg.16eb5569f6bfd0993d3f138a54cd9bbc.jpg20200810_065616.thumb.jpg.8fc097d93a4696a21091c94ad1a99007.jpg20200810_065734.thumb.jpg.950bbbb4252ab1e2e9ea3b34ebf41ba2.jpg

Well, this is UBER helpful! I just posted a bit ago, asking about swapping to an earlier single banjo Honda/Nissin caliper in order to de-link the brakes for a front end swap. I was trying to keep it simple(and cheap), so figure some used parts from a 20-30 year old donor should be an easy find, and fairly cheap. Almost any of that stuff needs to be rebuilt, unless it comes from a runner, but that doesn't add much cost.

This is much more straightforward, at the expense of more dollars ... but as a bonus, you get the cool "Brembo" factor to boot! And if I use one of my front ends, it has a full Brembo setup on it already, so would match front to rear. The other is an early GSXR front end, which I'm more likely to use ... off my semi retired race bike, but it merely has Nissin units, but all works REALLY well ... brakes and forks!

Thanks for the info ... so are you gauging interest for another run of these, or taking deposits or whatever? I may have to just suck it up, and get one, and source out that Brembo stuff. $250-300 is more than I wanted to do, but it would be DONE!! And COOL at that!!

Yes, this is interest check.   So far:

1. @Dangeruss
2. @RVFR
3. @Tirso

Please respond if this not correct or if you want to add your name to the list (copy and paste forward).   If we hit 5, deposits for half will be needed to start it off.

• Member Contributer

Yes, this is interest check.   So far:

1. @Dangeruss
2. @RVFR
3. @Tirso

4. @Slo1

Please respond if this not correct or if you want to add your name to the list (copy and paste forward).   If we hit 5, deposits for half will be needed to start it off.

Yeah, I'm likely interested, but still in a bit of the research phase. Seems like most of the earlier stuff is overslung, so that requires taking apart the hub etc for the hanger/bracket for the caliper ... not that I am not up to it, but if it can be avoided, that would be preferred.

So not on the list ... yet! But will likely be by the end of the week. That "cool factor" of the custom bracket and Brembo caliper has me "needing" those goodies. Unless I find an easier solution fairly quick, I will be adding my name, and then we'll prob be just about at the deposit phase for you to make a batch?

Thanks for the info again ... will keep in touch.

As far as calipers to buy, many Ducatis used these as OEM.  Just make sure to get the correct version as noted in the original posting.  If you're not sure, just upload the link and I'll tell you if it's good to go.

1 hour ago, eyrwbvfr said:

As far as calipers to buy, many Ducatis used these as OEM.  Just make sure to get the correct version as noted in the original posting.  If you're not sure, just upload the link and I'll tell you if it's good to go.

Without rehashing everything, sounds like the P32 is the better one to find ... so no issues with the pads and needing to trim etc. And if I'm not mistaken, the banjo and the bleeders are threaded the same, so in theory, you could mount the line to either side? To the engine side, or towards the rear side. Not sure there'd be any issues swapping them, but any reason you ran the line to the front, or simply stuck the banjo in the open hole? Also, forgot to mention ... I got a Gen 6 ... any issues or differences there I need to know of? I think the rear brakes didn't change any, but haven't really checked yet?

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, MJH said:

Yeah, I'm likely interested, but still in a bit of the research phase. Seems like most of the earlier stuff is overslung, so that requires taking apart the hub etc for the hanger/bracket for the caliper ... not that I am not up to it, but if it can be avoided, that would be preferred.

So not on the list ... yet! But will likely be by the end of the week. That "cool factor" of the custom bracket and Brembo caliper has me "needing" those goodies. Unless I find an easier solution fairly quick, I will be adding my name, and then we'll prob be just about at the deposit phase for you to make a batch?

Thanks for the info again ... will keep in touch.

Nothing easier than retaining the stock rear caliper, drilling a hole into the outer pistons’ transfer passage for the center piston, plugging the center banjo port, and swapping the master cylinder for a 14mm version off a Honda sportbike. 

4 hours ago, MJH said:

Without rehashing everything, sounds like the P32 is the better one to find ... so no issues with the pads and needing to trim etc. And if I'm not mistaken, the banjo and the bleeders are threaded the same, so in theory, you could mount the line to either side? To the engine side, or towards the rear side. Not sure there'd be any issues swapping them, but any reason you ran the line to the front, or simply stuck the banjo in the open hole? Also, forgot to mention ... I got a Gen 6 ... any issues or differences there I need to know of? I think the rear brakes didn't change any, but haven't really checked yet?

I've designed it around the P32 so I can't verify any other caliper.  The pad material (not the backing plate) have to be trimmed to remove the overhang shown in the pics above.  It's a couple minutes with a Dremel.   Not hard.   I didn't realize the overhang until it had about 3000 miles of wear.

I didn't know they are threaded the same.  I will probably swap them now.  I have it off anyway. 

I'm not sure if it will fit your Gen 6.  I can 3D print one for you to try it if you have the Brembo.

20200811_220930.jpg

12 minutes ago, ducnut said:

Nothing easier than retaining the stock rear caliper, drilling a hole into the outer pistons’ transfer passage for the center piston, plugging the center banjo port, and swapping the master cylinder for a 14mm version off a Honda sportbike. 

Well yeah, there's that option that's well known.  I wanted to get a smaller caliper and remove the bulky OEM caliper.   

I have the 5/8" master on both my bikes with the same rear caliper.  The other one is a Hawk with a full hanger kit.

5 hours ago, eyrwbvfr said:

I've designed it around the P32 so I can't verify any other caliper.  The pad material (not the backing plate) have to be trimmed to remove the overhang shown in the pics above.  It's a couple minutes with a Dremel.   Not hard.   I didn't realize the overhang until it had about 3000 miles of wear.

I didn't know they are threaded the same.  I will probably swap them now.  I have it off anyway. 

I'm not sure if it will fit your Gen 6.  I can 3D print one for you to try it if you have the Brembo.

I'll prob start looking around online, and a few local salvage places for a P32. Are they stamped or have some sort of identification marks to find one? Salvage yards tend to have them 1 of 2 ways ... on a bike they don't want to take off of, or in a pile or box or bin you just need to go through? Can you tell me the caliper spacing from mounting bolt to mounting bolt C/L? or just measure or look at your specs on your bracket for the caliper mounting bolt spread?

I'm not positive they are threaded the same, but I remember someone else mentioning that in another thread related to something else. It was on a P32 with the side mount, versus the top mounted banjo/bleeder ... not that I imagine it would change just because of the fitting locations? Of course, none of this is confirmed, but since yours is off and easily accessible, you can either confirm or debunk this?

It'll be at least the end of the week before I do anything else with it ... all back together, and heading to the Sierras tomorrow! I have a line on a Hawk parts bike too, that I plan to meet with the guy on Sunday about. That's likely to become an entirely different project, but it all came about because of the caliper/hanger search.

You see how it's so easy to keep adding bikes to the stable?? I always insist on selling a bike before buying another ... but that never seems to happen, in that order ... if at all!! DOH!!

The caliper spacing is 84mm.   

Here is an application list and link for a side mount P32, which is the safest bet.

https://amsducati.com/brembo-p32-rear-brake-caliper

Year Make Model
1997-98 Ducati ST2
1999-02 Ducati Supersport 750
2001-02 Ducati Supersport 750 S
1999-02 Ducati Supersport 900
2002 Ducati

Supersport 900 S

Yes, I was able to swap the line and bleeder late last night.   Thanks for the tip!

A tip for bleeding, use thread tape to avoid air leaks.

And I understand your bike dilemma!   I was like that but now I've pretty much settled on a VFR, Hawk and a CB-1.  Perfectly happy - for now!   One of each motor (v4, v2 and I4).  Very little redundancy too.  The VFR is most used for work duty and the others are for play.

• Member Contributer

For reference, the only physical difference between 32 and 34 is the piston diameter, so it bears considering which master cylinder you will use for the preferred result. The pad swept width is the same for both. Note in the attached drawings they show the bleeder on the right, which will be the front in this installation. In both drawings they show the 'Left' mount caliper, 'Right' has the bleeder and fitting reversed (note that some of the pictures on OPP's website are not correct for left/right per the drawings). Where it lists Mount Side under 'Configuration' SX is Left and DX is Right (from Italian, Sinistra and Destra).

If you set the outboard edge of the pad to the OD of the rotor then it gives the option to A) remove material from the inboard side of the pad (maybe easier/cleaner than the outboard side) or B) get a new rotor and run with unmodified pads (my preferred option). Everybody tell your friends, I'd rather not buy 2 to make this happen. 😉

From OPP's website;

P32;

https://www.oppracing.com/images/cmsuploads/Brembo/OEM_Schematics/oppracing 20-6950-12_22 brembo.pdf

P34;

https://www.oppracing.com/images/cmsuploads/Brembo/OEM_Schematics/oppracing 20-6951-12_22 brembo.pdf

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, eyrwbvfr said:

Well yeah, there's that option that's well known.  I wanted to get a smaller caliper and remove the bulky OEM caliper.   

I have the 5/8" master on both my bikes with the same rear caliper.  The other one is a Hawk with a full hanger kit.

I quoted MJH, because he mentioned finding an easier solution, so I listed the easier solution. 🤷‍♂️

14 minutes ago, ducnut said:

I quoted MJH, because he mentioned finding an easier solution, so I listed the easier solution. 🤷‍♂️

No worries!  It's all good info and gives us options. 

Archived