5th gen rear brake adapter - interest check

eyrwbvfr

Question

A year ago I went down the path of de-linking my VFR brake system.   The front brakes were pretty straight forward using the VTR setup.   However, in the rear, it was a bit more involved.  I didn't want to use the OEM caliper and modify it.  So, I designed an adapter that mounts on the existing hanger to mount a standard Brembo P32 caliper.   If you are planning to de-link your VFR800, 5th gen, this is a good solution for the rear brake.   It gets rid of the large OEM caliper.   This adapter bolts on to the stock hanger and will mount a Brembo P32 caliper in the same OEM underslung position.  The advantage of this adapter over a complete hanger is that disassembly of the hub and spindle is not necessary.   Well, also, it is simpler and therefore lower cost. 

You will need to make sure to source the correct version of the caliper as there are a few available. You must get the version where the bleed nipple is on the side closest to the mounting ears, same side of the banjo bolt.   I got the version where the bleed nipple was farther from the mounting ears.   It completely crashes the spokes and the tire valve.   As you can see in the attached pictures, the bleed nipple and banjo bolt are on the side opposite the wheel when mounted.   The P34 version is slightly bigger (34mm vs 32mm) and the pads may be too big for the rotor.   Also, make sure you have enough brake line length reach the caliper.  Bleeding will be no more difficult than the stock one.  Although, it may be easier to flush/bleed it before mounting. 

Anyway, this is just an interest check to see if it is worth making another batch of five or more.   Cost will be around the same of $125 plus shipping.    

Edit.  added the following:

DISCLAIMER:
* For off-road use only.
* You modify your bike at your own risk.
* You are responsible to decide if these components are good enough for the use or abuse you will subject them to.
* In using these components, you agree that I am in no way responsible or liable for anything that happens to or because of them.
* If you don't think they are up to the job, or if you don't think you can accept responsibility for mounting and using them, please return the item and I will issue you a prompt refund.
* When mounting, use thread lock and/or safety wire all fasteners.

20190604_191650.jpg

20190604_192133.jpg

brake adapter 1 small.jpg

brake adapter 2 small.jpg

• Answers 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived