Help needed ! Rear brake pistons

Kev655

Hi all,

Hoping somebody can help me, I took apart my rear calliper today and noticed the 3 pistons were covered in surface rust so I removed all 3 and gave them a quick once over with the wire wheel. They came up perfectly but when I try to put the pistons back in pistons 1 and 3 go in perfectly but piston 2 just comes back out everytime I push it back in. I read somewhere that this can be caused by failure of a small seal on the inlet banjo bolt on the SMC on the front left calliper. Can anybody advise do I need to replace this seal/ any photos etc of what to do 

All help is greatly appreciated

2002 has linked brakes.   Two separate brake lines, two separate and independent brake systems to the rear caliper.  You're going to need to release the pressure and bleed the system behind the proportioning valve.

• Member Contributer

Go to the downloads section and get yourself the service manual. The linked brakes require a specific sequence of bleeding to get them right. The centre rear piston is driven by the secondary master cylinder on the left fork leg. 

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/files/file/150-service-manual-6th-gen-2002-vtec-with-bookmarks-new-cover-ocr/&do=download&csrfKey=ff6a503879d0fa7205f52b366c20587e

Archived