Clutch Judder

Dangeruss

• Member Contributer

‘98 5th Gen, 54000km (~32000mi.). As far as I am aware the clutch has never been serviced. It works fine and doesn’t slip, but I have noticed when pulling away from a stop more aggressively that there’s a judder or oscillation in the clutch take up. Engine revs don’t vary with it but it feels like springs compressing and extending for 3 or 4 cycles. I notice in the parts fiche there appear to be springs in the primary drive gear, and I guess the Cush drive is another possible cause. Is this normal behaviour on these or has anyone else experienced it and identified a cause? I don’t think the mileage would lead to anything being totally shagged out.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Primary subjet would be chain and sprockets for me.

The service limits for the plates and springs are in the shop manual.

If someone has opened her up and put in the judder spring (part #6) the wrong way round though....

image.thumb.png.a880c4e1670e7726f576db5443093a77.png

• Member Contributer

Sorry Dutchy, I should have mentioned, chain and sprockets were just done, no change to these symptoms. The previous owner also used standard Honda oil and I just changed to Castrol Synthetic motorcycle oil, also with no change, although maybe shifting is a bit smoother. I was planning to have a deeper dive over the winter and check all parts, I'll pay attention to the orientation. Posts about other bikes that have had that removed are similar symptoms to what I have.

Archived