Thanks from Oz plus a quiz

JohnF

• Member Contributer

Just wanted to thank all those who post and upload manuals, diagrams, pics etc. You made my double chain tensioner replacement today a super easy task, even had time to replace the plugs. As I'm just a backyard mechanic I wanted to post a puzzle to other part timers with a picture of a bolt I was left with in my parts coSpare bolt??ntainer after re-assembling the bike ( I bloody hate when that happens!). I had already started the bike with the fairing off to listen to the smooth engine sound minus the rattle so the bolt isn't critical to keeping fluids in the motor. I wasn't game to start it again and was going to post the question here but the embarrassment drove me to scour the workshop manual supplied from this very site to identify it's source. So if anyone wants to hazard a guess I'll let you know when you've got it. No real mechanics please, let us rookies have a go. I know I'll never forget this bolt again!

Thanks again & stay upright,

Cheer, JohnF

IMG_5192.jpg

• Member Contributer

Reckon it's a bolt from one of the front Ignition coils.............Do I win?????:woohoo:

And I'm "no real mechanic" either!:wacko:

Welcome to the madhouse JohnF. Is that Eatons Hill north of Brisbane? Nice part of Aus. Ya better post a picture of your bike, we all like to drool over or pick at your ride! :biggrin:

Cheers. :beer:

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, JohnF said:

Just wanted to thank all those who post and upload manuals, diagrams, pics etc. You made my double chain tensioner replacement today a super easy task, even had time to replace the plugs. As I'm just a backyard mechanic I wanted to post a puzzle to other part timers with a picture of a bolt I was left with in my parts coSpare bolt??ntainer after re-assembling the bike ( I bloody hate when that happens!). I had already started the bike with the fairing off to listen to the smooth engine sound minus the rattle so the bolt isn't critical to keeping fluids in the motor. I wasn't game to start it again and was going to post the question here but the embarrassment drove me to scour the workshop manual supplied from this very site to identify it's source. So if anyone wants to hazard a guess I'll let you know when you've got it. No real mechanics please, let us rookies have a go. I know I'll never forget this bolt again!

Thanks again & stay upright,

Cheer, JohnF

IMG_5192.jpg

Presuming you have a 6th gen,  when you raise the tank there is a cable attached to the under side of the tank at the front,  the other end of which attaches to the frame.  That looks like it could be one of the two bolts that hold that cable. 

BTW,  the coil packs are retained by bolts the are an internal allen drive and have a shiny finish,  so no worries on those. 

• Member Contributer

Bolt that holds the chainguard near rear sprocket.

• Member Contributer
39 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

Bolt that holds the chainguard near rear sprocket.

It's similar - same concept with the shoulder, however on 6th gens those are an internal allen hex drive vs an external drive hex bolt. 

image.png.7c602ea10c23f5a8bd435c79fca29e92.png

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Presuming you have a 6th gen,  when you raise the tank there is a cable attached to the under side of the tank at the front,  the other end of which attaches to the frame.  That looks like it could be one of the two bolts that hold that cable. 

BTW,  the coil packs are retained by bolts the are an internal allen drive and have a shiny finish,  so no worries on those. 

Think you're on the money Cogswell, with the tank wire securing bolt. However the service manual shows hex bolts for the front ignition coils and Allen key bolts for the two rear coils! My 8gen definetly has hex bolts on the front coils.

Cheers.

image.png

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Grum said:

Think you're on the money Cogswell, with the tank wire securing bolt. However the service manual shows hex bolts for the front ignition coils and Allen key bolts for the two rear coils! My 8gen definetly has hex bolts on the front coils.

Cheers.

Thank you Grum. I succumbed to a moment of brain fade :wacko: - I stand corrected!   Hopefully the bolt ID is now sorted!

Cheers

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Thank you Grum. I succumbed to a moment of brain fade :wacko: - I stand corrected!   Hopefully the bolt ID is now sorted!

Cheers

No probs Cogswell. My own brain fade was to think the bolt was from one of the Ignition Coils and I realise now it most certainly is not!

Hope there's a special prize for the quiz, maybe you've won yourself a new VFR!!:cool:

Cheers, keep COVID safe and healthy. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Seems it was a bit too easy for you guys, Cogswell smashed it straight away with special mentions to Grum and jstehman for their confirmation. It was indeed the bolt for the fuel tank cable, was super relieved when I figured this one out. Soz guys, I don't have a prize for the quiz, take heart in the knowledge that you'll never make the mistake i made though. Love the site and the help available.

Hi Grum, Yeah we are northside of Bris and it's not too bad up here, how's your lock-down going down Vic?

Archived