Windscreen gap

Maddie

Hello, new user here, based in New Zealand with a 2008 VFR800.  I haven't had the bike long but I love it.

I was caught out in torrential rain the other day, and water poured through the gap between the fairing and base of the windscreen, wetting me and the instruments.  I have a phone on a RAM mount that also got saturated 😞 .

Has anyone experienced this and can suggest a solution?  I imagine blocking it would also deaden wind buffering too.

Thanks very much,

Maddie

• Member Contributer

AFAIK, when it rains hard, there's not much keeping things dry.  I believe that gap is designed to smooth the airflow, otherwise the dead space behind the screen would create a lot of turbulence for the rider and be very fatiguing.  There used to be a product made by a member called the "Bug Buster", but it's long gone and was a mesh product to keep out bugs, not water.  Maybe some type of water resistant foam could be shaped for a press fit that would plug it - then see what happens. 

May I ask what make of exhaust cans you have installed?  They look good. 

Hi, thanks for the reply, I was worried that a piece of the fairing was missing, I'm not one to ride in the rain usually but sometimes you get caught out, and it is winter here in NZ!  The exhaust are Delkevic and installed by the previous owner.  They have a great low rumble and when the VTEC kicks in they howl.  It brings a grin to my face every time 🙂  Some pictures are attached..

Cans (1).jpg

Cans (3).jpg

• Member Contributer

Without that hole, a "vacuum" will tug you forward.

Any electronics that are not water/shockproof have no place on a motorcycle imho...

• Member Contributer

It would be a simple matter to stuff a rag into that space to test the effect. Once again it reinforces my belief that Honda engineers really knew what they were doing designing all aspects of this wonderful machine. With the obvious exception of the electrical systems.

• Member Contributer

By the way, welcome to the asylum from The Land Of Interestion Weather. We'd love to see a picture of your complete machine to convince us you are not a figment of out imagination.

• 2 weeks later...

I like MaxSwell's idea of a rag to test closing that gap, but I'd try it with some foam padding.  Something you can compress into that slot at the bottom of the windshield if it starts raining, will stay in place wet or dry, and can be easily removed when unneeded.

You must get some pretty incredible rain in Oz, as I'm unsure I've ever experienced water coming up through that opening, and I've ridden through some pretty serious rain over the years.  😉

• Member Contributer

I wouldn't plug the gap, I'd make it bigger if it were possible (experience on other bikes).... airflow behind the windshield is a good thing for buffeting, etc.  You won't see much water go through there really.

On 8/9/2020 at 4:21 AM, TimC said:

I like MaxSwell's idea of a rag to test closing that gap, but I'd try it with some foam padding.  Something you can compress into that slot at the bottom of the windshield if it starts raining, will stay in place wet or dry, and can be easily removed when unneeded.

You must get some pretty incredible rain in Oz, as I'm unsure I've ever experienced water coming up through that opening, and I've ridden through some pretty serious rain over the years.  😉

It was a torrential downpour on what started out as a dry ride, totally unexepected, even with cordura "waterproof" gear on I ended up with a wet backside!

Also, New Zealand, not Oz 😛 

On 7/29/2020 at 8:28 AM, MaxSwell said:

By the way, welcome to the asylum from The Land Of Interestion Weather. We'd love to see a picture of your complete machine to convince us you are not a figment of out imagination.

Thanks for the welcome, I'm very real, and here are a few pics taken this past weekend just before heading out on a ride with my two sons on their bikes.  One rides a CBR600 and the other, a bike mechanic, rides a Ninja 250 that we swapped for 30 kms and it was like riding a toy.

20200809_100709.jpg

20200809_100632.jpg

20200809_100624 2.jpg

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Maddie said:

Thanks for the welcome, I'm very real, and here are a few pics taken this past weekend just before heading out on a ride with my two sons on their bikes.  One rides a CBR600 and the other, a bike mechanic, rides a Ninja 250 that we swapped for 30 kms and it was like riding a toy.

20200809_100709.jpg

20200809_100632.jpg

20200809_100624 2.jpg

Thanks for the pics Maddie. It's obvious you have great taste in mc's. That's a great set of "silencers" you've got there.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived