1st VFR

PedalHead

Hi,

Looking at buying a VFR 800 moving up from a 2008 GSX650F, just wondering if there's anything I need to be aware of. There's two in local dealers, 2017 with 15000 miles on the clock and a 2018 with 9500,. The latter is £500 more, the former has a quickshifter. I'm told the 16k service is a big one.

Thanks for any advice, Dave

• Member Contributer

The quickshifter is *fun* but it also only works if you're wide open throttle and nearly redlined. Otherwise its herky jerky. I don't regret getting the Q/S on mine, its fun.

When I had my 16k mile service done it turned out to be an expensive oil change and inspection. If you do all your own basic maintenance (oil, coolant, brakes) it can be skipped, although at 16k you should be changing the fork oil.

I had my valves inspected at 38k and two of the valves were just slightly out of spec. YMMV.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, lazyeye said:

The quickshifter is *fun* but it also only works if you're wide open throttle and nearly redlined. Otherwise its herky jerky. I don't regret getting the Q/S on mine, its fun.

I use my Q/S anything above 2,500 no problem ....they’re about £200 bought from Japan inc Customs duty & VAT

My 16,000 mile service was £800 including brake pads, fluids changed, air filter, etc ....  inc VAT, from Fowler’s in Bristol 

Thats the service were the VTEC valve clearances are checked and that’s all camshafts out and back in ...twice at least 

All other things being equal I’d go for the 2018 if only for resale and get yourself a Q/S

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 4:57 PM, Thumbs said:

I use my Q/S anything above 2,500 no problem ....they’re about £200 bought from Japan inc Customs duty & VAT

My 16,000 mile service was £800 including brake pads, fluids changed, air filter, etc ....  inc VAT, from Fowler’s in Bristol 

Thats the service were the VTEC valve clearances are checked and that’s all camshafts out and back in ...twice at least 

All other things being equal I’d go for the 2018 if only for resale and get yourself a Q/S

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-2020-NEW-GENUINE-HONDA-QUICKSHIFTER-VFR800F-8U70-MJM-D11-RRP-190/293499331661?hash=item4455ec644d:g:1TEAAOSwqvxeT7X1

On 7/23/2020 at 4:57 PM, Thumbs said:

On 7/22/2020 at 4:26 PM, PedalHead said:

Hi,

Looking at buying a VFR 800 moving up from a 2008 GSX650F, just wondering if there's anything I need to be aware of. There's two in local dealers, 2017 with 15000 miles on the clock and a 2018 with 9500,. The latter is £500 more, the former has a quickshifter. I'm told the 16k service is a big one.

Thanks for any advice, Dave

Never pay what they are asking!  Make sure those prices are fair before moving forward.  Nobody is buying vfr's, so you shouldn't buy one if it's not a sweetheart deal.

Archived