Non-motorcycle options

While I hope to be on two wheels for years to come, I've sometimes wondered what I might do if I couldn't ride a motorcycle anymore, like if I had a problem with my balance.

I can't see myself on a traditional trike, like a Goldwing or Harley trike, but I can see myself on a Can-Am Spyder.  I wouldn't want the big touring version with all the hard bags, and while they've released a stripped down roadster version that looks very cool and a bit smaller overall, I'd probably go with the standard model with the passenger seat (in case my wife ever wanted to actually try riding with me) and which I could sling a set of soft-bags over for trips.

How about you?  What would you ride instead if you couldn't be on two wheels?

• Member Contributer

I never paid the Spyder much heed, niche item, sort of a snowmobile for the road. I saw one parked while at a cruise night a few years back and went for a closer look. It belonged to a gentleman in his '80s who had ridden his whole life and his wife was with him through much of it. She was there as well and he said he reached the point you describe where he started to feel he was putting her at risk, just with slower reactions and declining strength to catch a tip over etc. The Spyder was a new lease on life for both of them and allowed them to continue their favourite shared past time. He figured he could ride that until he could no longer walk. They were an inspiring pair, really enjoyed meeting them, and I certainly view the Spyders differently since.

• Member Contributer

Can Am would definately be of interest, but so would Miata, and Slingshot.... 

But I am waaaaay far from that, 2 wheels is life.. :beer:

• Member Contributer

I have a family member that recently suffered severe vertigo.  Through observation, I realized that if that happened to me my riding days would abruptly end as there's no telling when or if it could strike again.  Even a mild case would result in a crash.   When I've seen  CanAm's, it's seemed to me that they share disadvantages with motorcycles (little crash protection), with none of the advantages - small footprint, the ability to lean, takes up little garage space, etc, and none of the advantages of a car - carrying capacity, weather protection, climate control, possibly longer range, etc.  I figure that if I can / want to ride, then I'm going to ride.  If I can't do that, then my next option would still be a Honda, but it would be an S2000.  Or possibly an old hotrod I could take to car shows.  I don't think I would get much out of riding (or is it driving - or both?) a CanAm. 

• Member Contributer

I would probably go the route of a convertible or maybe euthanasia if I couldn't ride anymore. The trikes like the Can-Am would be a close second depending on *why* I couldn't ride anymore.

21 hours ago, jstehman said:

My therapist would have me so medicated that I'd probably have to take public transportation lol emoji1787.png

Slingshot looks kinda cool though

For me, riding *is* my therapy!  I'd go nuts if I couldn't ride.

As for the Slingshot, I just can't get into them for some reason.  I think they look cool, and I'm finally starting to see a few out on the roads, but it's just not for me.

10 hours ago, Cogswell said:

I have a family member that recently suffered severe vertigo.  Through observation, I realized that if that happened to me my riding days would abruptly end as there's no telling when or if it could strike again.  Even a mild case would result in a crash.   When I've seen  CanAm's, it's seemed to me that they share disadvantages with motorcycles (little crash protection), with none of the advantages - small footprint, the ability to lean, takes up little garage space, etc, and none of the advantages of a car - carrying capacity, weather protection, climate control, possibly longer range, etc.  I figure that if I can / want to ride, then I'm going to ride.  If I can't do that, then my next option would still be a Honda, but it would be an S2000.  Or possibly an old hotrod I could take to car shows.  I don't think I would get much out of riding (or is it driving - or both?) a CanAm. 

Good points about motorcycle vs. Spyder.  But I think if I couldn't ride a bike but could ride a Spyder, at least I'd have much of the sensation of riding a motorcycle.

Also, I'm a little spoiled, because my daily driver is an ND Miata.  The top is down every chance I get.  I just love that open cockpit feeling.  So maybe I would dig the Slingshot, but the Miata is at least a little more practical.

"For me, riding *is* my therapy!  I'd go nuts if I couldn't ride."

Exactly

But I think that nothing will really substitute for the exhilaration and freedom of being on two wheels.

For me, if I couldn't ride I would move on to something else instead of trying to replicate that feeling.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, TimC said:

How about you?  What would you ride instead if you couldn't be on two wheels?

A hearse....

:goofy:

I figure that I have another ten good years maybe. I've already decided that it will be an old pickup with modern running gear and A/C. I've always wanted something that will melt tires at will. One day I will have it. I'll try to remember to come back and post it on VFRD but you know, I'll be OLD and may forget.

• Member Contributer
40 minutes ago, Sweeper said:

I'll be OLD and may forget.

We know where you live.......

• Member Contributer

For me there would be no replacement or substitute. So I guess I'd just walk.

In a small way I'm nearly there. I realized at the end of 2018 my arthritis was too painful for continued long-distance riding. So I got my self a Siberian Husky puppy. She keeps me moving.

And when I get my rollerblades I'll have replaced my hydrocarbon power with animal power. And my ATGATT gear will come in handy because I've never been on rollerblades. And I have old downhill skis for winter, her specialty. :pinocchio:  

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, MaxSwell said:

And when I get my rollerblades I'll have replaced my hydrocarbon power with animal power. And my ATGATT gear will come in handy because I've never been on rollerblades. And I have old downhill skis for winter, her specialty. :pinocchio:  

Rollerblades + husky would be an awesome combination, but not significantly safer than motorcycles. I have had experience of rollerblades plus a border collie that I think may have been a sled-dog in a previous life, and that was exciting! 

Remember: pictures or it didn't happen.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Terry said:

Rollerblades + husky would be an awesome combination, but not significantly safer than motorcycles. I have had experience of rollerblades plus a border collie that I think may have been a sled-dog in a previous life, and that was exciting! 

Remember: pictures or it didn't happen.

That's why I would not do it without my leather suit and helmet. At one and a half yr. old she is not totally under control. 🙂

• Member Contributer

My best use of motorcycle protective gear in a non-motorcycle application was the luge at Rotorua. Rode down with my mates, and took a ride while wearing leathers and boots; a good thing too as there was a highly competitive spirit in place and I got shunted off the track at high speed, fairly sure I would have broken an ankle if not for my boots.  This video is not mine but gives an idea; Kind of like riding a plastic tray down a mountain. 

https://youtu.be/rS-qG2hqrHo

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Terry said:

My best use of motorcycle protective gear in a non-motorcycle application was the luge at Rotorua. Rode down with my mates, and took a ride while wearing leathers and boots; a good thing too as there was a highly competitive spirit in place and I got shunted off the track at high speed, fairly sure I would have broken an ankle if not for my boots.  This video is not mine but gives an idea; Kind of like riding a plastic tray down a mountain. 

https://youtu.be/rS-qG2hqrHo

Interesting to watch them lean in to and look through the curve like on a bike.  At least initially I would probably have to overcome the instinct to counter steer.  It looks like a lot of fun!

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Terry said:

That looks like great fun. And reminds me a little of the go cart racing at T-Mac. I also noticed the similarities with mc riding.

• Member Contributer

I think for the right price tilting motor works will turn your bike into a self standing 3 wheeler. Not cheap, but rides more like a bike than a Can-Am.........

On 7/25/2020 at 8:28 PM, Cogswell said:

Interesting to watch them lean in to and look through the curve like on a bike.  At least initially I would probably have to overcome the instinct to counter steer.  It looks like a lot of fun!

I agree.  A couple VFRD friends did test rides on CanAm Spyders several years ago, and said it was hard to remember at first to turn in the direction they wanted to go, rather than countersteer.  I wish I'd done the test ride with them back then.

I think what makes countersteering a bit more intuitive is that by pushing the bar away from yourself, you're creating a little more room for your upper body to lean in that direction, plus straightening that arm out a bit, allowing for easier application of force.  I think it would be harder to apply the force while pulling the bar inward, especially if you're also trying to lean in that direction.

• Member Contributer

I’m much closer to this reality than I’d like. At 52, I’ve developed a progressive and degenerative neuro condition, which is having its way with me. At some point, the strength and balance required to manage a tall, heavy motorcycle like my ADV bike will become too much. I’m currently going through everything on it, so it’s closer to being ready for sale. That’ll leave a VFR and SV, which are much easier for me to manage. My next trip into my local dealer probably should include a closer look at a CanAm. 

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, ducnut said:

I’m much closer to this reality than I’d like. At 52, I’ve developed a progressive and degenerative neuro condition, which is having its way with me. At some point, the strength and balance required to manage a tall, heavy motorcycle like my ADV bike will become too much. I’m currently going through everything on it, so it’s closer to being ready for sale. That’ll leave a VFR and SV, which are much easier for me to manage. My next trip into my local dealer probably should include a closer look at a CanAm. 

Sorry to hear about that Ducnut. Enjoy your freedom while you can, I think we all take good health too much for granted.

for a smaller, lighter bike the '88-'90 VTR 250 is great, feels just a bit heavier than a bicycle and handles nice. this 250 is not slow, 13,000 redline.

aug_1_2020_015.thumb.JPG.3c00a2e20d4e59e08f5b32258c8dc28f.JPG

aug_1_2020_019.thumb.JPG.8dda6f90087d5394ec59e73156a96989.JPG

july2020_025.thumb.JPG.9cc70d2b253098c47a454cc9dcf6afe6.JPG

On 7/31/2020 at 6:25 PM, ducnut said:

Sorry to hear about your condition.  But at least you're still able to manage the smaller bikes.  And if at some point you need to go lower to stay on two wheels, there are many nice bikes while lower seat positions.  But I think the CanAms are definitely worth looking at.  And the good news is now that they've been out for several years there are some nice, low mileage examples out there for sale!

• Member Contributer
On 1 August 2020 at 8:25 AM, ducnut said:

Good luck with everything ducnut. I agree with Terry, we can want for every bike in the world but our best possession in life is good health. Grab the CanAm sell the SV if needed, but hang on tightly to that beautiful 5th gen. Glad we have your expertise and advice to tap into on this forum.

• Member Contributer

Thank you. 

Yeah, I’ve always blown-off all the cliches the old folks have repeated for years and pushed on through. But, this deal is something else. I spent every weekday going into one of USA’s premier research hospitals, for an entire month. There were all manner of illnesses/conditions, of all age groups. The worst of the worst are in these places; many hanging onto their last days. That experience really drove home the idea: without one’s health, one has nothing. The old folks have been right, all along.  

Archived