Current state of things [emoji23]

Sarah

Lost power Sunday and had to have my dad come rescue me. First time in 20 years that a Honda has left me stranded.

I am working through the charging system with the guidance of a friend across the country (and a local buddy that talked me through using a volt meter) - and have parts ordered to do the repairs. I just thought it was kind of amusing that the first job I had to do on this thing was a stator and R/R replacement.

I know I have to close the problem loop and reassess before I pin that as the root cause - but it seems to be from the AC readings I was getting on the volt meter.

Parts are ordered and I’m ready to get dirty :)

e07cf3aebebe49c4c14d8b7859412e0a.jpg

Yikes.  Talk about fried.  I had a couple problematic fuel cutoff relays that had to be replaced, but at least I was close to home.  The one time my VFR truly stranded me was when the stator fried.  I was in the Middle-Of-Nowhere, KY, when it happened, and if I remember correctly the bike had about 59,000 miles on it at the time.

Hope you get it sorted out quickly!  🙂 

Looking at that picture and knowing that its a 6th gen, I'd replace the stator and r/r. Its the safest and easiest way to have peace of mind.....for a little while. Too bad it didn't die at a VFRD event where there is always a group ready to jump in and get dirty.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum Sarah from Richfield, MN. Sorry about your ride's problems. We'd love to see a picture of the rest of your machine so we can be sure you are not a figment of our imaginations. If you need service for your bike I can highly recommend Honda Town 612-722-1110. Tell them Terry Gale sent you. (Ignore the snarky response. hehe) They have taken great care of me for exactly the same issue.

Good luck and safe riding.  

Thanks all!
I was just laughing because the charging system is a known issue with this gen - and it happens to be the first thing I have to learn how to fix

I am definitely tackling this issue myself. I’ve got parts ordered and a couple of really awesome guys just a phone call away if I get stuck.

After taking the fairings off though - I think the rest of it will be easy. The design engineers at Honda must laugh when they imagine us fighting with those darn things.

I am gonna need a bigger tool box...

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Sweeper said:

Looking at that picture and knowing that its a 6th gen, I'd replace the stator and r/r. Its the safest and easiest way to have peace of mind.....for a little while. Too bad it didn't die at a VFRD event where there is always a group ready to jump in and get dirty.

In that top photo, the tape wrapped conduit / wiring appears to be a VFRness.  Maybe while doing this do away with all that and go the 847 route.

Watching the stator wrestling match at Custer X2, I decided to do away with that connector and all the consternation caused by trying to drag it across all the hoses and wiring in the "V".  Some sadist at Honda really had it in for us when they came up with that!   :dry:

In that top photo, the tape wrapped conduit / wiring appears to be a VFRness.  Maybe while doing this do away with all that and go the 847 route.

Watching the stator wrestling match at Custer X2, I decided to do away with that connector and all the consternation caused by trying to drag it across all the hoses and wiring in the "V".  Some sadist at Honda really had it in for us when they came up with that!   :dry:

It is a VFRness.

It isn’t in the budget to go to the 847 yet - but it is a future endeavor. That little thing is so clean, I started drooling.

For now - I’m headed for a stock r/r with a voltmeter on the instrument panel so I can monitor things. I am also going to run through every connection and ground to make sure they are solid and protected from corrosion - which means I need to correct a fuel leak from cracked washers under the tank while she’s torn down too.

I’ve got orientation - this is my first attempt at actually fixing something on my own ride.

• Member Contributer

Sarah,  Best wishes on your new adventure for the charging system.  If you get stuck, you have this group of crazies to help. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ae775ee9a3559fa2218975e5b8e53f60.jpg
And now that it’s winter in this State, I finally have all the work done and she’s up again.

Stator/rr replacement, hard wired voltmeter, fixed the fuel leak, and changed the oil.

Life is good.

Archived