Unhappy 1st time VFR Owner - No power to fuel pump

AndyE

• Member Contributer

Love that blue color.  IIRC that connector is on the left side.  With the gold calipers that bike looks to have ABS.  If so, the front ABS pump is mounted to the frame above the rad - there should be several bolts retaining it, any one of which could serve as an earth connection.  There's also the cable between the frame and tank - that's another bolt that might also be convenient. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Love that blue color.  IIRC that connector is on the left side.  With the gold calipers that bike looks to have ABS.  If so, the front ABS pump is mounted to the frame above the rad - there should be several bolts retaining it, any one of which could serve as an earth connection.  There's also the cable between the frame and tank - that's another bolt that might also be convenient. 

Good eye and great info!

Thank you sir!

I agree on the color, fantastic!!!

• Member Contributer

Quick update.

Just picked her up from my mates garage with a clean bill of health, woop!  The tech guy has bypassed that blue connector for the fuel pump, but I think over time I'll do the others too as was suggested.

The V4 certainly sounds the part, and although I'd read many people find the vtec intrusive, I cant say I find it a problem...I dont tend to sit around 7k rpm, I'm either changing up before then, or I'm on the throttle and wanting more power anyway..🤔

Happier times...cheers all.

Andy

Oh, and the ground to the frame fix has already been done so hopefully any problems with that have already been prevented...fingers crossed.

• Member Contributer

I have never been concerned about the VTEC, tho I think it returns little to nothing vs the cost and complexity of the inevitable tensioner replacements and insane amount of work to do a valve adjustment.  The big thing for me is the lack of the gear driven cam whine.  :sad:

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, AndyE said:

Quick update.

Just picked her up from my mates garage with a clean bill of health, woop!  The tech guy has bypassed that blue connector for the fuel pump, but I think over time I'll do the others too as was suggested.

The V4 certainly sounds the part, and although I'd read many people find the vtec intrusive, I cant say I find it a problem...I dont tend to sit around 7k rpm, I'm either changing up before then, or I'm on the throttle and wanting more power anyway..🤔

Happier times...cheers all.

Andy

Oh, and the ground to the frame fix has already been done so hopefully any problems with that have already been prevented...fingers crossed.

Hi Andy.

Glad you have it sorted. But just a word of caution, almost all that power that went through the Blue connector to the ESR (via your burnt high resistance joint for the Black/Pink wire) goes back out again through the Blue connector on the Black/White wire, (with the exception of the fuel pump) the same issue could happen with this wire, a Vitally Important Wire for all the other EFI stuff, be worth having a very good look at the joint for this wire, it needs to be given the same priority as the previous wire fault you had. Just a thought!

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Grum,

The plan is to enjoy the ride outs with a mate I can trust 'not to go all Rossi on me' over the summer, and then use the winter months to tinker and make good.  

I'll be looking to remove that connector altogether if I can!

Cheers

Andy

Archived