94 VFR400 Front Suspension knock

corexero

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Very excited to be able to join the forums and a great group.

I purchased a 1994 Honda VFR 400 NC30 today (this is what I was told the model is), with an odo reading of 21k-odd km. 

From what I've seen she hasn't been taken great care of and I am expecting replacement of nearly every washer, bolt, seal and deep clean and to do suitable adjustments throughout.

Good price for a Project and it'll will keep me busy for some time.

I need some assistance please with the front shocks please... As this feels like the only legitimate "dangerous" aspect of the bike. 

When driving up the driveway, over speed humps or pressing the front brakes it makes a very clear "knock" at the front.

Basically whenever mass gets transferred to the front. 

From what I've seen online this could be head bearings, shocks needing a service, wheel bearings etc. 

I've uploaded a video if you please wouldn't mind in telling me what is causing that knock and what you can see or hear from the video as to what the actual fault can be. Then, how do I go about fixing it?

Please let me know if you need more information. 

I will be asking kindly for your assistance throughout as I need to get her back to standard and then refurbish her as good as possible.

Thanks in advance.

It's great to be a member of the Community.

IMG-20200714-WA0038.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hi, welcome!

I've viewed the video, but I can't really hear what's happening.  I think you may need to simply start taking things apart--if you can get the front wheel off the ground you can check the front wheel bearings and the steering stem bearings at the same time (push, pull, wiggle...).  If that seems okay, and you can find nothing wrong, at least you're all set to remove the forks and open them up!  Good luck.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

here are the parts fiches for the 1994 VFR400RR (other are on that site too)

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/400-MOTO/RVF/1994/RVF400RR/16520

front fork

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/400-MOTO/RVF/1994/RVF400RR/Frame/FRONT-FORK/96604/F_08/2/16520

Check  if all the parts in the drawing are inside :goofy:

The initial VFR400 ran 1986-1992 perhaps yours is a late registration

So start with what JZH wrote, replace the fork oil for sure

My '97 VFR750 would very rarely give a single  "klunk" under braking , which is atrributed to the spacer/disc on top of the spring.

@Dutchy Thank you very much for the detailed response. I am sure this will help me a ton. 

Still trying to figure out the actual heritage of the bike 😄 so not sure about the actual year. Was told she's a 94 😄 

Going to lift her up tonight and get to the front wheel to investigate more. 

Thanks again and be blessed

• Member Contributer

Looking at the fork tops, I think it's an '89 (K-model) as the first year NC30s came with damper rod forks, before Honda changed to a cartridge style with rebound adjustment on the fork tops. 

http://www.akhara.com/nc30/nc30parts/index.htm

• Member Contributer

STEERING HEAD BEARINGS

Whether you employ ball or taper bearings the first sign that your
steering head bearings are loose will be felt through the bars as a
pronounce clunk during hard braking...

Then again if your steering head bearings are too tight the bike will
weave and not seek it own center...

To achieve perfect torque first raise the front wheel off the
ground... next tighten the steering head bearings until the bars
lock... and finally back off the nut until the bars free wheel with a
slight drag... with this method you find that sweat spot and avoid
over tightening and under tightening even if you upgrade to taper
roller bearings...

• Member Contributer
On 7/14/2020 at 6:54 PM, corexero said:

@Dutchy Thank you very much for the detailed response. I am sure this will help me a ton. 

Still trying to figure out the actual heritage of the bike 😄 so not sure about the actual year. Was told she's a 94 😄 

Going to lift her up tonight and get to the front wheel to investigate more. 

Thanks again and be blessed

I have several NCs.  There are two main ways to help identify these bikes: the Frame Number and the Paint Code sticker under the seat.  However, if anyone has swapped parts around, all bets are off!  Some bikes still have a barcode sticker under the rear number plate, too.  If you tell us what numbers you've got, I can help narrow it down for you.  I have all of the Honda Parts Catalogues for these bikes.  (Registration paperwork is notoriously unreliable, unless that is the original paperwork from Japan.)

Ciao,

JZH

Hi Guys.

Thanks again for all the advice and assistance.

Got the forks open, changed the oil and replaced the seals... Cleaned everything up and replaced a majority of bolts and nuts, as it was an odd mix everywhere on the bike.

The knock is now gone and braking feels a ton safer. I will say that it still does not seem "ideal" but there is already a major improvement.

As for the year. From what the guys have shared and what I have investigated it seems that the girl is a 89' model.

Thanks again so much for all the kindness and help. Truly appreciated

Archived