Eighth gen headlight

• Member Contributer

Can anyone tell me what the material used on the headlight lens is? Was going to remount my AMHP headlight protector for my upcoming ride but someone told me I shouldn’t need it as most modern headlight lenses are not made from glass but the same type of material used in aircraft windscreens? I had assumed the headlight lenses were glass. Don’t like the look of the headlight protector so I will be happy if I don’t need it.

• Member Contributer
On 12 July 2020 at 4:58 PM, Philois1984 said:

Can anyone tell me what the material used on the headlight lens is? Was going to remount my AMHP headlight protector for my upcoming ride but someone told me I shouldn’t need it as most modern headlight lenses are not made from glass but the same type of material used in aircraft windscreens? I had assumed the headlight lenses were glass. Don’t like the look of the headlight protector so I will be happy if I don’t need it.

Definetly feels and sounds like plastic so it's probably polycarbonate, very tough stuff. You'd be pretty unlucky to damage one, haven't heard of that happening on an 8gen, though I guess it could happen. You'll be right!!:cool:

Enjoy your trip.

Cheers.:beer:

Post Edit - Front clear housing is made from a strong, high impact resistant plastic called PBT+PET. Even better the Polycarbonate.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Grum certainly looking forward to it, this time next week should have another six hundred kilometres on the clock.

• Member Contributer

Mines definitely glass and has got protection on it 

They're over £1100 new

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Thumbs said:

Mines definitely glass and has got protection on it 

They're over £1100 new

Hey Thumbs are you sure about that? Specs I've found on the whole headlight assembly shows it's all fancy plastics, including the inner lens, reflector and clear front outer. No glass and that saves weight.

• Member Contributer
51 minutes ago, fatshoutybloke said:

Well it certainly feels like glass to me! I too have spent £20 on protectors, on the sites I've seen in UK they're over £1200 for the unit and it would only take one stone...

2020-04-10_headlight_protectors_replaced.jpg

The stuff they are made of has probably greater impact resistance than glass. Lot of automotive headlight assemblies are no longer made of glass. If you give the front section a tap it definetly has that plastic sound to it unlike a bit of a ring you get with glass. Also makes for good weight saving being plastic.

Here's the back of an 8gen headlight assembly (From a crashed bike). If you zoom in you'll see it specifies the various plastics used for the assembly,  External = PBT+PET Reflector = PC  Lens = PC and Housing = PP-1030. 

Cheers.

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, fink said:

Ventura shield  headlight cover which came as part of the protection kit. 

Have you got a link to that Fink?

All I can find is some film 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 2:17 PM, fatshoutybloke said:

Well it certainly feels like glass to me! I too have spent £20 on protectors, on the sites I've seen in UK they're over £1200 for the unit and it would only take one stone...

O.M.G you've ruined that bike !

That looks horrendous, sorry.

How do these designers get away with thinking that will look ok ?

• Member Contributer
On 7/15/2020 at 9:30 PM, fink said:

Ventura shield  headlight cover which came as part of the protection kit. 

It looks like a film that goes over the headlight, is that correct?

The protectors I’ve got are solid curve acrylic about 3mm thick

• Member Contributer

I'd suggest the cover destroys the aerodynamics of the front end. Probably decreases the machines fuel mileage and add wind noise. My highest mileage fifth gen, at 105,000+ miles on her when KIA'd by a deer, had no visible damage until the deer turned it into bits and pieces. A big waste of money IMHO.

• Member Contributer

I don't think glass has been used for vehicular headlights since they stopped using standard round and rectangular lamps. The production costs for those fancy shapes in glass, plus as mentioned already the weight preclude it. My RZ350 has a rectangular glass headlight and it's the same one it left Japan with 35 years ago.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Thumbs said:

It looks like a film that goes over the headlight, is that correct?

The protectors I’ve got are solid curve acrylic about 3mm thick

Yes it’s a film, the same form that protects the bodywork.

I'd go with 3M Scotchguard or XPEL film to cover the lenses. The XPEL is easier to apply and tends to yellow less. It does a remarkable job of protection as well. Unless you're constantly on gravel roads with your VFR it's unlikely you'll ever break the polycarbonate lenses on the bike. We have lots of spring gravel left over from the winter and I can't think of anyone I know that has had a broken lens.

You could film over the whole bike (I've done that on my Africa Twin).

https://thetankslapper.biz/film/

https://thetankslapper.biz/vfr800f-total-protection-kit/

Archived