New rider

Rayzrider

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The starter relay has crossed connections the damned terminals aren't drilled correctly there reverse 1mm out or align with the holes I'm nearly going to just cut and do tripple bypass fck fck 

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, Rayzrider said:

God help me Dutchy have you a clue why I can't connect the starter relay honestly I don't understand it 

Ray.

You have the Service Manual and a drawing of the Starter Circuit which was posted some time back, also the advice given at the time seemed to be ignored, you boast about your electrical ability and come back with demands, questions and statements, in a language that most of the time, makes no sense at all. Perhaps some photos would have helped us to understand what you're carrying on about!

Hope This Helps.

The Starter Relay is not a multi pole relay you make it out to be. It's main purpose is simply to power the Starter Motor, PROVIDED certain safety interlocks are met. It just so happens to also be an ideal connection point for a Main Fuse!

So........

- Assume you have purchased the correct Starter Relay for your bike??? Does it look like the attached photo? If you do have the correct relay then it should simply Plug and Play!

- The Starter Relay can be very easily tested both in OR out of the bike! Refer Service Manual.

- The MAIN positive lead from the Battery MUST connect to the main terminal of the Starter that has Continuity to the 30amp fuse on the Relay (see attached drawing). If you've somehow connected it back the front there will be no power available to energise the Relay, or the rest of your bike!

- The other connections (3 wires in the red plug) being a RED wire, that needs to be connected to that 30amp Fuse on the relay (Main Fuse A). This is the main 12v supply up to the Ignition Switch. The Yellow/Red is the Positive 12v (via interlocks eg Kill Switch, Starter Switch) for the Relay coil and the Green/Red is the Ground side for the Relay coil (also via interlocks being, neutral switch, side stand and clutch switch). Make sure you haven't somehow rotated the red plug 180deg when fitting.

The other 30amp fuse, Main Fuse B with the Red/White wire is for all the EFI system power.

So although the relay has 4 spade connections ONLY 3 are used. There are the two relay coil connections and there are two connections to the load side of the 30amp Fuse A, which only one is used being the RED wire.

So....... If you have not blown either of the two Main 30amp Fuses or sub fuses! And you have a known good fully charged battery, and you now have the Relay connected properly, and your Kill Switch is in RUN, bike in Neutral, Ignition to ON, then pressing the starter button should at least crank the engine over.

Good Luck hope you get your bike sorted. PLEASE be far more clear and detailed about your issues so we can at least understand them.

And when all else fails do as Dutchy suggested RTFM (Read The F...ing Manual).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer
On 8/20/2020 at 2:41 AM, VFR78 said:

Fantastic Grum, you should start asking for money!

I judge Grum as one of the best informed contributors on the site. And one of the most helpful and patient. And he freely gives his advice on some of the topics I fine most difficult. These observations are coming from someone (me) who considers electrickery FM - Frickin' Majik.

He's one of my VFRD Heros.

Thank you Grum for all your contributions. You Rock!

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

I judge Grum as one of the best informed contributor on the site. And one of the most helpful and patient. And he freely gives his advice on some of the topics I fine most difficult. These observations are coming from someone (me) who considers electrickery FM - Frickin' Majik.

He's one of my VFRD Heros.

Thank you Grum for all your contributions. You Rock!

Hey MaxSwell, think you've been drinkin way too much of that Moonshine!:blush:. Thank you Sir.

The beauty of VFRD - two way street. I've learned a lot from the many VFRD members, so it's nice to give back. Knowledge is useless unless it's freely shared IMO.

Nothing worse than knowing of a sick VFR stuck in its garage, it's a joy to help (if I can) get it going again.

Now where is that XXXL helmet I'm going to need!! :cool:

Cheers.:beer:

I have connect the starter relay now as soon as I connect the battery it by passes the ignition key the starter switches all light up starts when I press the starter and doesn't stop until I disable the battery 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Rayzrider said:

I have connect the starter relay now as soon as I connect the battery it by passes the ignition key the starter switches all light up starts when I press the starter and doesn't stop until I disable the battery 

???

Try this.

Disconnect the Main Lead (Starter Motor side) from the Starter Relay the big lead that goes to the Starter Motor. Move the lead away from the Starter Relay! REFER THE POSTED DRAWING

With your battery connected. Ignition to ON, bike in Neutral, Kill Switch to RUN, do you hear the Starter Relay click On and Off every time you press and release the Starter Switch?

I sorry for taking so long to get to the problem the 4pin relay control wires are mixed up 

What colour wire is the power to ignition switch its continually connects to the battery 

I bought the relay on ebay it mentions that it fits a huge variety of bikes Inc vfr800fi 1999 

• Member Contributer

I sorry for taking so long to get to the problem the 4pin relay control wires are mixed up 

What colour wire is the power to ignition switch its continually connects to the battery 

I bought the relay on ebay it mentions that it fits a huge variety of bikes Inc vfr800fi 1999 

Come on Ray...I've already given you the full details of the wiring to the Relay!

Scroll back to my post for last Thursday, the big post with picture of the relay and the wiring schematic.

Again.....looking at the drawing... What do you see... A RED wire that goes through the 30amp fuse then to the Main Positive contact of the Relay then back directly to the Battery positive. It is a Hot 12v feed to your Ignition Switch. It is NOT switched by the Starter Relay. When you turn your Ignition to ON it transfers the RED wire power to a RED/BLACK wire that feeds 12v to your bikes systems via the Sub Fuses, you'll need to look at a full wiring diagram to see this!

It sounds clear to me you have modified the wiring to the Starter Relay....WHY? As mentioned, if you have the correct item it should simply be a Plug and Play situation, it's a very simple task to replace a Starter Relay. Somehow you've made an absolute mess of it.

Did you functionally Test the original Starter Relay you removed? If so what was wrong with it?

Seriously Ray, messing around with a VFR's electrics without knowing what you're doing will only dig a deep hole for yourself.

If you don't understand how the Starting System works, and our suggestions don't make sense to you, then recommend you get your bike to the nearest reputable Honda Motorcycle Service Centre and have it professionally sorted.

Once again Good Luck.

Hi the original stater relay didn't direct a full 12v to the starter it just clicked and it pulled heaps of amp but not a sound from the starter. 

At least now I'm getting power to the starter motor 

The nice bike mechanic down the road is going to lend me a spare one just to see f I gets it back to normal. 

• Member Contributer
On 8/22/2020 at 7:26 PM, Grum said:

Hey MaxSwell, think you've been drinkin way too much of that Moonshine!:blush:. Thank you Sir.

The beauty of VFRD - two way street. I've learned a lot from the many VFRD members, so it's nice to give back. Knowledge is useless unless it's freely shared IMO.

Nothing worse than knowing of a sick VFR stuck in its garage, it's a joy to help (if I can) get it going again.

Now where is that XXXL helmet I'm going to need!! :cool:

Cheers.:beer:

I plead guilty to that moonshine accusation; I'll take this opportunity to plug for my local brewery Summit and their Extra Pale Ale. A couple of these a day keeps the head shrinkers at bay. :beer::beer:

(Not to be mixed with the other solution to the COVID blues: VFR riding!:wheel:)

• Member Contributer

Hey OK 3 wires red to ignition key how is it by passing the switch and I'm going to put a switch on the red wire below the battery that's the only thing I can do 

Is that OK 

???

NO.

Your bike was NOT doing this prior to you modifying the wiring or whatever you did when replacing the Starter Relay.

Perhaps your Ignition Switch has shorted. Check it.

You can simply measure voltage at sub Fuses C, D and G. With your Ignition Switch to OFF and battery all connected you should NOT measure 12v at these fuses. Black meter lead to battery Neg and Red meter lead to the small metal Test points on the tops of the fuses.

If you have voltage at Fuses C, D and G with ignition OFF, then your Ignition Switch is faulty OR your wiring is not correct?

The Ignition Switch and its wiring, can also be very easily checked for continuity by unplugging the Red Starter Relay connector. Have one Meter lead on the RED wire and the other Meter lead on any of fuses C, D or G. With your Meter on Buzzer mode or low Ohms scale. You should have continuity with Ignition Switch to ON and NO continuity when Ignition Switch to OFF.

Hi there I didn't touch anything but the relay unit 

Something has shorted I know that's why I'm putting a fuse on the red wire 

I can't work on the bike I'm in a apartment with uncovered parking area. 

OK just let my predicament pass I'll ask for more help many thanks 

Your help has been opened my lack of knowledge 

• Member Contributer

Hi there I didn't touch anything but the relay unit 

Something has shorted I know that's why I'm putting a fuse on the red wire 

I can't work on the bike I'm in a apartment with uncovered parking area. 

OK just let my predicament pass I'll ask for more help many thanks 

Your help has been opened my lack of knowledge 

The RED wire already has a Fuse! Fuse A 30 amp!

So if you aren't even going to check for a faulty Ignition Switch(or its wiring) as explained, then you need to do as previously suggested.......Take your bike to a reputable Motorcycle Workshop and get it sorted.

We've given you every guidance possible via a keyboard, Service Manual, Drawings, Explanations, What to test and how. Sorry, but we can't perform miracles!

Maybe someone else can help you, but frankly, I'm done!

Good Luck!

Archived