Newb to vfrdiscussion/ shock issue

RC51guy

Hi V4 lovers, dropped in to pick some brains here. I do some suspension and minor repairs out of my garage. Background about 52 years riding and 40 some years working at various dealerships here on the west coast and also Wash DC, Maryland, northern Virginia area. After retiring from working for someone decided to do my own thing. I’ve worked as a mechanic, parts man and service writer while in the motorcycle biz. My 2 car garage is setup with air lines, hydraulic lift and lots of light. I have a lot of suspension tools as my friends and their friends have me busy with race tech and ohlins installs but mostly fork seal repairs. I’ve had cartridge forks apart and twin chamber forks apart and refurbished them so am a little familiar with shocks and forks. Currently working a 2006 VFR800 non abs model. Have install DMr’s complete cartridge mod to forks along with fresh seals and bushings. This is second time for this as I just did a 05 model last month. Problem is Jamie @ DMr tells me it’s an easy shock install. When I did the 05 bike had to turn the fitting on the shock down to clear the proportion control valve bracket. There was a brass fitting which set the braided line to the reservoir at around 30 degree angle from the shock body. After turning it to point down around 30 degrees from the plane of the shock. Somewhat compromised the reservoir mount as too much line used going down instead of sideways to the frame. But it was workable. Now doing a 06 model and same problem only this fitting comes straight out the shock inline with the pivot bolt at the mounting points. Any one had experience with this. Suggestions. If mods viewing and need me post somewhere else let me know or move if you like. Thanks everyone.

Archived