Upside Down Rear Shock

• Member Contributer

(4th gen 97 vfr)I was looking for a replacement for my 929 cbr shock i was running it stock no re valve it was a bit soft to have it re valved would have cost me the price of a aftermarket shock so i started looking about on the net most replacement shocks are really expensive so i looked at YSS there are all over ebay could not bring myself to buy one as they come from Thailand so i stumbled on a company called (the shock factory) they are in france where i live for 395 euros this is the best priced semi decent shock i could find they asked me my weight and would i use language also was it for solo use or with a passenger after i gave them my details they started to make it.Three days later it arrived wow that was a quick turn around ok time to put this on my bike well this is when the problem started it seemed to me that they pressed the bushes into the shock the wrong way round as the top of shock would not fit the top mount on the vfr the top bush was to fat if i turned the shock upside down it fitted hmmmmm i emailed the company the owner who is english replied no this is the correct way you see it is really hard to adjust the shock for the vfr he said there is not a lot of space i installed the shock upside down as he told me knowing that this is really not a good idea and guess what you may be able to adjust the rebound knob ok but if you want to adjust the ride height using the c spanner forget it you would have to take the shock out of the bike what a joke.Going to test the shock tomorrow to see how it performs one last thing the boss of the company also said to me if i want i can press out the bushes yes thats me wtf???? and put the sock the other way up in my opinion is how this shock should be.

IMG_20200702_182414143.jpg

IMG_20200702_182755710.jpg

IMG_20200703_210121652.jpg

IMG_20200703_210340784.jpg

• Member Contributer

This is a 1st.... An USD rear shock... That rebound knob now collects all the road dirt....

So an Englishman in France knows better than Honda?  :laugh:

One does not adjust ride height with the C spanner, but the preload.

To adjust ride height the shock needs to come out yes. Not a major job (with my VF on an ABBA stand). The lower point rotates in/out.

IMG_20200628_112755.thumb.jpg.f51d98cad7fe5f60d41814be260101a2.jpg

One fine YSS

IMG_20200628_115723.thumb.jpg.60ce650f26f0e08545da1c8a3b09c30b.jpg

~5 years old, 40,000km

Loosen lock nut, then adjust height. Know that the ProLink system "multiplies" the +/- mm set on the shock to the height of the rear wheel

IMG-20200628-WA0005.thumb.jpeg.6c0ff634ca5f34e705bf78398455ae3d.jpeg

YSS is produced in Thailand yes. In a modern factory. One of their consultants is a well respected suspension guru (and ex-racer) from the Netherlands. He is in Thailand regularly.

He built my shock in his shop in the Netherlands with parts manufactured in Thailand.

Archived