combined brake system

• Member Contributer

I'm a big fan of the LBS system on fifth gens. Motorcycle Consumer Reports (RIP) used to publish a used bike value list. At the end of the articles it published a list of best-in-category items. For braking from 60 mph to 0 mph the '98 VFR800fi tied for 6th best, stopping in 108.6 feet. Most mc reviews state 120+ feet is considered excellent stopping power. 

I have great confidence in my fifth's brakes and would not change them.

• Member Contributer

Old discussion we have hashed several times..... but really its not a question of what is better, its more of what is personal taste and preference..... 

Beers on me guys.... :beer:

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, mello dude said:

Old discussion we have hashed several times..... but really its not a question of what is better, its more of what is personal taste and preference..... 

I'll be right over! :pinocchio: (I'll raise my next one to you m d)

• Member Contributer

Depends if you want to do fat burnouts without shredding the rear brake ;D

• Member Contributer

I’ve always viewed linked brakes as a ‘solution in search of a problem’, but since I have only just recently got a 5th Gen VFR I thought I’d get familiar with it before I started changing things. To pass safety inspection to license it I had to do the steering head bearings so I ordered the All Balls tapered roller kit and some EBC HH pads and fork oil while I was at it. Just the absurd amount of lines, hoses and fittings put me off, but when I tried to pull the left caliper off to clean and relube the slider pins it seemed impossible to do without disconnecting a line. It was around 40C in my garage so I might have been delirious, but if there was a way I couldn’t see it. Since the right wasn’t bad the left one was left as found and just got new pads.

I’ve still got to do the rear pads and just want to ride it for the summer, but a fork swap and LBS delete is moving up the list fast. I think if you vary your use conditions, like carry a passenger occasionally, loaded up for touring, empty for short trips, rain or shine etc. it might shine more by making the brakes more consistent, but I always ride solo, never carry luggage and generally max out at sporty day trips so the benefits are lost on me for the added complexity and weight.

It’s funny that I rode a ‘90 VFR750 years ago and my first impression was ‘I want brakes like that on my RZ350’. It now has R6 inverted forks and radial calipers. Now I finally have a VFR and I want it to have brakes like my RZ350. 🙄

On 7/9/2020 at 5:07 AM, mello dude said:

Sorry to keep on. And It might seem really simple to work out for some people but I'm trying to find out about compatibility with front forks without having to buy ones to try to them find out they don't fit. I know that the vfr forks are 41mm. And the cbr f series fit but If I change the triple trees aswell does any honda fit the same measurements on the vfr. Thanks in advance 

• Member Contributer

The clamps are fairly integral to the frame, in that you have to consider steering stops, steering lock, stem dimensions > bearing dimensions > head tube dimensions compatibility, along with offset and spacing numbers. It’s so much easier to stick with the original clamps and fiddle with what fits into them.

You can fit 6th Gen clamps, with a minor adjustment to the steering lock location, which will allow 43mm fork options. 

21 minutes ago, ducnut said:

The clamps are fairly integral to the frame, in that you have to consider steering stops, steering lock, stem dimensions > bearing dimensions > head tube dimensions compatibility, along with offset and spacing numbers. It’s so much easier to stick with the original clamps and fiddle with what fits into them.

You can fit 6th Gen clamps, with a minor adjustment to the steering lock location, which will allow 43mm fork options. 

Thanks. Didnt think about steering lock. Will Have to just keep to vfr triple trees. And the 41mm forks. Don't suppose if you know if the fireblade 900 brake calipers will fit f4i of f3 forks do u? These have 2 pistons on each side of the disk so not sure about wheel clearance. 

• Member Contributer

If F4i forks...you need 6th gen triples and bars, and its a near drop in....... brakes...954..F4i, RC51... someone will have to confirm CBR600RR....

Then.....stock wheels, rotors and spacers......and F4i fender.

If VFR upper tubes with VTR Lowers......stock 5th gen triples and bars (or 4th gen, 41mm)... brakes VTR Calipers, no mods.... brakes very minor grinding on lower bracket boss...954,. F4i,. RC51 and again not sure about CBR600RR.

Grab master cylinder to match calipers.....

Sticky wicket..... fender... you'll have to figure a mount if the stock fender is used... I used to sell them, but they would be far too expensive nowadays for any one......

Don't forget to mod the rear too...

:beer:

• 6 months later...

So... Just an update on the situation. I have now stripped my bike completely and have the engine out. Unfortunately I found some water in no 4 cylinder, when turning over engine the find tdc it squirted out the exhaust port 😑 This is a concern! Next problem is when putting oil into cylinders to lubricate them after displacing water, I found the head gasket on the back was leaking. Next step is take the heads off and inspect cylinder/pistons for rust and or pitting. Any advice would be gladly received

Archived