Oil Leakage

Hello everyone, this is the first time I've intervened even though I've been following you for several months. I have a VFR 1200 FD from 2015 purchased used 4 years ago. To date I have covered a total of about 64,000 km with great satisfaction.
For some time, however, there is a very annoying defect that makes me angry!!!! 

has anyone had the bad experience of having a slight oozing of oil in the right side of the engine in the specific area above the oil filters? I identified the leak in a small cable with a 90 degree rubber fitting that enters the engine block. I'd like to try the repair myself but first I'd like to understand how (if you just need to replace that rubber fitting or something else). Just the idea of pulling down all the fairings makes me anxious.

I found some photos of the naked engine where you can see it well: the leakage happens in the rubber pipette with 90 degrees input in the engine, and more precisely in the area towards the outside of the round black rubber ring (looking frontally at the engine i.e. from the forks towards the rear). What do you think that cable is ? What sensor is there ? I couldn't find anything in the workshop manual, let alone details of that area. I highlighted the exact spot with the red darts.

On some fb groups of VFR owners have the same problem but many do nothing and keep the leak and the horrible smell of burning, some have changed the pipette (i.e. the whole sensor) and for the moment have no leak and still others have replaced the sensor but have returned to having the leak after about 20,000km. 

Is it nonsense to put high temperature sealant on the sensor pipette where it joins the metal? Is it a reliable job for you ? 

I'll leave a few photos to help you understand.

Thanks

perdita 1.jpg

perdita 2.jpg

perdita 3.jpg

• Member Contributer

That looks like the ignition pulse generator, typically a rubber grommet around the wire where it exits the crankcase.  Can show some weepage... to fix, have to remove engine cover carefully, may be able to preserve the gasket, but better to have a new gasket.  At the grommet, typical thing is to smear some RTV gasket maker on it and re-install the cover.  If you opt for no new gasket, be prepared to wipe down both surfaces with isopropanol, smear RTV on the remaining gasket and mating surfaces, reinstall the cover.  Again, safe bet is to get a new gasket.

The other option of course, if it's only a bit of weepage, can you live with it as is and just wipe it off periodically.  There is no oil pressure behind it, but crankcase pressure builds at times.... check your air cleaner for possible clogged vent hose that routes crankcase pressure up there to be burned off... may see a bit of oil around it, all normal, just ensure it's not clogged.

• Member Contributer

There is no gasket on this cover, Just RTV.  Remove it and reseal it with RTV, especially around the crank postion sensor where it leaves the case.  Job Done.

• Member Contributer

No, but I've replaced the Clutch cover after a drop on my 1200F, and used the recommended RTV as specified by Honda in the workshop manual. It doesnt leak. Make sure you use a long reach socket on the retaining bolts. A standard socket will mark the paintwork, some of the bolts are in a tight place

Archived