8th Gen comfort for 6"4 gangly guy

Brad71

Hi All

i last owned a 6 gen in 2011 and am looking at getting back on the vfr 8th Gen. As they are no longer sold, it is hard to hop on one to check it out. I'm 6"4 all arms and legs, i don't remember ever having comfort issues on the 6th gen but the reviews say the 8th gen is more cramped. i am a healthy 48 year old body wise no aches or pains yet lol. but i do consider comfort to be important factor going forward as this will be my last bike for a long time i am envisioning.   
my question is - is it much different to the 6th gen and what is cost of bar risers and lowering kit if needed.

thanks
Brad

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, HareBrain said:

Hopefully someone nearer your height will come along, but in case it helps, I'm 6'2 and near your age and find the 8 gen very comfortable without risers or lowering.

+1

I’m 6’4”, weigh 210lbs, so gangly with 36” in seems, long legs and arms. I’m 56 yrs old. I’ve owned a 5th gen, 7th gen and now an 8th gen. I find the 8th very similar to the 5th in terms of riding position. On my 5th a bought a sargent seat, the stock seat on the 8th is much more comfortable and I’m happy with it. I’ve tried the seat in he higher position and put it back to the low position, mostly because of looks. I am a flexible guy and despite long legs I don’t have any issues with knees etc. I’ve installed a vario touring blade which has taken enough wind off of me to cause me to feel my wrists (arthritis), so I’ve now bought helibars risers. Coming today. I’ll let you know how they work out if you wish.

• Member Contributer
On 6/28/2020 at 12:47 AM, Brad71 said:

Hi All

i last owned a 6 gen in 2011 and am looking at getting back on the vfr 8th Gen. As they are no longer sold, it is hard to hop on one to check it out. I'm 6"4 all arms and legs, i don't remember ever having comfort issues on the 6th gen but the reviews say the 8th gen is more cramped. i am a healthy 48 year old body wise no aches or pains yet lol. but i do consider comfort to be important factor going forward as this will be my last bike for a long time i am envisioning.   
my question is - is it much different to the 6th gen and what is cost of bar risers and lowering kit if needed.

thanks
Brad

This site should be able to help you.  It shows that the two are very similar, but not identical.   I'm not your height, but do find that 1" lower on the pegs on my 6g is a big help to being on it all day. 

https://cycle-ergo.com/

• Member Contributer
On 28 June 2020 at 5:47 PM, Brad71 said:

Hi All

thanks
Brad

Hi Brad. 

Other than what's been mentioned there's not much difference in the way of body fit between a 6 or 8gen. So why not track one down, and purchase it based on how a Test Ride goes and price of course, no real obligation anyhow?

The 8gen is lighter and has a nice slimmer frontal look due to the Side Radiators being move to the front. I remember my first ride impressions was that it felt a lot more nimble in turns giving greater turn confidence and the silky smooth gearbox. Fuel economy is improved and all the electrical bugs of the previous generation VFR's have been sorted. So overall it's an incredibly reliable bike, with Honda's typical excellent build quality, so after having three 6gens which were fantastic, my 2014 8gen is even better.

As far as I'm aware the last of them, the 2017 model only difference is a triangular rather than round shaped exhaust, a 12v accessory outlet, blackened frame with non black front forks.

Colour options for Australia from 2014 were Red, Black and White. With the 2017 colours Silver or Red

Sorry - no idea on bar risers and lowering kit prices.

Check out this low k's 2017 Silver Model in NSW.

http://www.bikesales.com.au/bikes/details/2017-Honda-VFR800F/SSE-AD-6680439

Good Luck whichever way you go.

• Member Contributer

By "lowering kit" I'm assuming that's the steps/pegs and if so then if you still need some height you can shim the rear shock.

thanks guys ill try track one down. Grum i did contact the owner he didn't accept my offer unfortunately i only had 10k and he wasn't budging lol. thanks for replies 

• Member Contributer

Brad71,

I am 225mm shorter than you. My VFR has the seat set on low, to make it possible to flat foot when stopped. The knee bend is comfortable enough to allow 7 hour days on the road, if riding interesting roads, when you tend to be moving about on the bike, but not great on freeways.

Lifting the seat gives an extra 20 odd mm of leg room, but I doubt that would help you too much. Foot peg lowering kits are also available which would probably give you another 15 to 20mm, without any real issues with lean angles, unless your last name is Rossi. I think they look a bit dodgy!

Helibar or Honda bar risers are available for a couple of hundred dollars but again only lift the bars about 20mm.  I am a lot closer to 70 than 65, but find the standard height comfortable enough for long tours (Sydney/Perth/Sydney - 2017).

The VFR is perfect for the vertically challenged, like me, but maybe not you. Unless yoga and tai chi are your other hobbies!

Having said all that, the VFR is a cracker and some guys ride them for close to 200,000kms, without major issues. Picking one up for under $10K, with under 30,000kms should be easy enough to do, and get you plenty of years service. A 2015/2016 should be as good as new. I would make sure the valve clearance has been checked (others might disagree) if it’s done those kms.

Where in nsw are you Brad. Maybe there is someone in your neck of the woods who would be willing to let you sit on their bike, try it for size?

Archived