Burned something in fuel pump cirquit

Vitalii

Hello everyone!

I decided to make a little cleanup to my bike and now need some help with it.

I found that connections on the right side (see picture) were oxidized and the connector itself was in bad condition. Found on internet that this connector should be soldered (as a wiring improvenet tip) - and decided to make the connection without the plastic part.

The problem is, I did not disconnect the battery, and managed to short green and red wires. It sparked for a second, then stopped. After that, when I turned on the bike, the fuel pump did not produce its sound. Self-check passed fine, startor works as well. FI indicator blinks only when startor rotates.

Could you suggest what were the wires I shorted and what may have burned out? I'm going to take a look at the pump itself today, what is a safe way to check whether it's alive?

I thought first on FCR relay, switched it with the headlight relay. Did not change anything, I assume FCR is fine.

IMG_20200626_081524.jpg

• Member Contributer

Think you should check MAIN FUSE B 30amp. Located next to your Starter Relay.

Shorting the Red and Green on those wires will certainly take out that Fuse. This kills the power to your Fuel Pump and main power to the ECM etc. Hopefully replacing the Fuse should have you up and running again, no problems with your Fuel Pump. Good Luck.

Let's know how you go.

image.png

image.png

10 hours ago, Grum said:

Think you should check MAIN FUSE B 30amp. Located next to your Starter Relay.

Well, the fuse was indeed blown, but replacing has no any (visible) effect. What else I could check?

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Vitalii said:

Well, the fuse was indeed blown, but replacing has no any (visible) effect. What else I could check?

Is your Battery charged?

With Ignition to ON and the Red Kill Switch to ON(RUN). Do you hear the Fuel Pump prime for 2 seconds?

Do you have a multimeter?

14 hours ago, Grum said:

Is your Battery charged?

Ok, I charged the battery, it did not change anything... The battery is new, I've been using it for a month.

No, I can't hear the Fuel Pump Prime

Yes, I have a multimeter

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, Vitalii said:

Ok, I charged the battery, it did not change anything... The battery is new, I've been using it for a month.

No, I can't hear the Fuel Pump Prime

Yes, I have a multimeter

On the top of the fuses there are two small metal test points. You need to measure the voltage at Main Fuse B. You should see 12v at BOTH test points on that fuse. Black meter lead to Battery Negative, Red lead to probe the fuse test points.

What do you measure? Get back to me as soon as possible so we can move on.

29 minutes ago, Grum said:

On the top of the fuses there are two small metal test points. You need to measure the voltage at Main Fuse B. You should see 12v at BOTH test points on that fuse. Black meter lead to Battery Negative, Red lead to probe the fuse test points.

What do you measure? Get back to me as soon as possible so we can move on.

Ok, I got 13v on both

IMG_20200627_152143.jpg

• Member Contributer
25 minutes ago, Vitalii said:

Ok, I got 13v on both

Ok. On your picture notice the single wire connector below your fuse, unplug the connector make sure you have 12v on one of the connections. Is the wiring to that connector good? The fuse and wire connector look burnt and not in a good state.

Also please confirm you have the Kill Switch in the RUN position.?

Yes, there is 12v on the single wire. Wiring is good, the circuit between the fuse and red-white wire is short. Also I have 12v between the wires I have initially shorted.

Yes, kill switch is in the RUN.

• Member Contributer

25 minutes ago, Vitalii said:

Yes, there is 12v on the single wire. Wiring is good, the circuit between the fuse and red-white wire is short. Also I have 12v between the wires I have initially shorted.

Yes, kill switch is in the RUN.

Reconnect the single wire plug.

Now we need to make sure the 12v at your fuse is getting to the Engine Stop Relay.

Locate the ESR and remove the relay there is a Black/Pink wire you can see this goes from the relay to bottom wire of the 18P plug, then becomes a Red/White wire which goes back to your Main Fuse B. Can you see this on the drawing attached and the drawing on my first post?

You must have 12v at the Black/Pink wire at the ESR, probe the relay socket for that wire. Also with Ignition to ON you should see 12v on the Black wire of the relay socket as well. What do you measure?

I also assume you have the FCR inserted, Yes?

Have you got the full wiring diagram of your bike?

image.png

40 minutes ago, Grum said:

Now we need to make sure the 12v at your fuse is getting to the Engine Stop Relay.

Here I have 12v between black-pink and black. When ignition is on, this voltage drops to zero, voltage between black-white and black goes to 12.

Yes, FCR is at place

IMG_20200627_164841.jpg

• Member Contributer

You need to keep your meter black lead on Ground Battery Negative terminal.

Red lead on the Black/ Pink you should see 12v.  Ignition to On you should see 12v on the Black wire as well. Recheck this.

5 minutes ago, Vitalii said:

voltage between black-white and black goes to 12.

Negative twelve, sorry. I guess black-white is ground...

Checked again, it's right. With ignition off only black-pink has 12v, with ignition on both black and black-pink has 12v

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, Vitalii said:

Negative twelve, sorry. I guess black-white is ground...

Checked again, it's right. With ignition off only black-pink has 12v, with ignition on both black and black-pink has 12v

Re insert the ESR. Turn On Ignition. Listen closely do you hear the ESR click to energise?

If not replace it with your HiBeam relay.

12 minutes ago, Grum said:

Re insert the ESR. Turn On Ignition. Listen closely do you hear the ESR click to energise?

If not replace it with you HiBeam relay.

Hmm, it won't click, even when replaced with hibeam relay. The relays are good though: I can hear them both clicking when they are at hi-beam's place

• Member Contributer
On 6/28/2020 at 12:25 AM, Vitalii said:

Hmm, it won't click, even when replaced with hibeam relay. The relays are good though: I can hear them both clicking when they are at hi-beam's place

Is your Bank Angle Sensor plugged in?

It has a 3P Green plug. Locate the BAS and check its wiring. It provides the ESR relay coil with a Ground on the Red/Orange wire to energise it.

Yeah 😃 the wiring was fine, but the sensor was disconnected. I may have unplugged it when was taking off the front plastic. 

I'm on the road again!

Thank you for your help!

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, Vitalii said:

Yeah 😃 the wiring was fine, but the sensor was disconnected. I may have unplugged it when was taking off the front plastic. 

I'm on the road again!

Thank you for your help!

Congratulations at last. :fing02: . So a Blown Main Fuse B and an unplugged Bank Angle Sensor!  That will definitely kill your bike.

Glad you have it sorted. It's 1am here, time for bed.

Cheers.:beer:

Archived