Dead Battery - Good volts but fails CCA Test.

Grum

• Member Contributer

Hi All.

Had some cranking issues with my 8gen of late. Felt it was time to say goodbye to my 6 year old original battery. Had the battery tested at my local Auto Parts store.

I posted this for info and as an example to show that good terminal voltage might indicate a State of Charge, but not a State of Capacity, the ability of the battery to deliver plenty of amps for cranking. As you can see the Yuasa YTZ12S has a Cold Cranking Amps rating of 210cca the battery tested poorly at only 99cca with a good voltage of 12.65v, even after giving it a good charge out of the bike the day before.

The test result, as expected, was REPLACE BATTERY.

Cheers:fing02:

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Gday Grum,

My battery has just gone 3yrs old but having some issues. Starts fine 1st time every morning but for a while now when stopped to get fuel etc when restarting its cranks really slow and takes a couple of cranks to just fire. I,m thinking battery but strange as fine when cold.

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, PetePower said:

Gday Grum,

My battery has just gone 3yrs old but having some issues. Starts fine 1st time every morning but for a while now when stopped to get fuel etc when restarting its cranks really slow and takes a couple of cranks to just fire. I,m thinking battery but strange as fine when cold.

Yeah agree, strange its fine when cold! Did you replace the original with the OEM Yuasa brand? If in doubt take your battery down to Autobahn as I did and have it tested. But it does sound like a battery issue your experiencing. OR you have loose battery terminals, worth a check.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, PetePower said:

Yeah, replaced with OEM Yuasa replacement. Might take it to battery world tomoz on way home. If it starts in the morning hehehe.

Stay safe Grum, sad to see the current trend in VIC.

Thanks Pete.

Check those terminals are tight, the Yuasa is a top battery, surprised it may have died in 3 years. Any long periods without riding or charging?

Yeah this COVID stuff sucks, my Red Lady is itching for a ride!:wheel:

• Member Contributer

Before replacing battery, check your charging voltage. If it's fine overnight, you may not be charging well enough while riding.

• Member Contributer

Weakest link in the whole electrical system is the battery...

Smart money is on the new light weight Lithium Iron battery like Shorai or Anti Gravity...

DSCN2018.JPG

12 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Before replacing battery, check your charging voltage. If it's fine overnight, you may not be charging well enough while riding.

If this is the case then why does it start easily when cold in the morning. It doesn't get charged overnight. I ride every day approximately 24kms each way in morning and afternoon, starts no problems when cold. It only seems to be a problem when warm. We are currently only having max 15degC days in Adelaide with 2-7degC in the mornings. Eng temp 105degC when sitting at lights.

I am going to a battery place this afternoon to get it checked.

Just seems weird fine when cold no good when warm!!

I do like the thought of Lithium, will have to price and see if worth it.

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, PetePower said:

If this is the case then why does it start easily when cold in the morning. It doesn't get charged overnight. I ride every day approximately 24kms each way in morning and afternoon, starts no problems when cold. It only seems to be a problem when warm. We are currently only having max 15degC days in Adelaide with 2-7degC in the mornings. Eng temp 105degC when sitting at lights.

I am going to a battery place this afternoon to get it checked.

Just seems weird fine when cold no good when warm!!

I do like the thought of Lithium, will have to price and see if worth it.

Hi Pete.

Be interested in your Battery Test results. Wonder if you might be seeing signs of a Starter Motor or Starter Relay issue? Would still pay to check the charge volts anyway. I can assure you the 8gen has an excellent and stable R/R. Mine seems to sit at a very constant 14.5v.

Keep us posted.

Cheers.:fing02:

• Member Contributer

My experience on both cars and bikes has been that the battery is likely to fail more often hot than cold. This happened to my old Honda Accord being driven by my wife with our two very small kids on board. She needed to park close to a mall entrance to collect a purchase and the only nearbly spot was a handicapped park. After stopping the car, she had second thoughts and (you guessed it) the car would not re-start. It started just fine that morning. My VFR was the same, it would start fine cold but you could hear it struggling to turn the engine over just 30 minutes later and the clock would reset (and no, I had no charging issue). 

Apparently 25C is an optimum temperature for a battery and they lose power above or below that. I'd expect the battery sitting over the rear headers in slow traffic to get a bit warmer than that. 

Put the battery on my Ctek charger recond cycle last night and took it to Battery World today.

SOC- 12.59v

Rated 210EN

Measured 122EN

State of Health 58%

State of Charge 79%

Result - Bad & Replace.

They didn't have stock of a Yuasa YTZ12S being 11.6ah and 210CCA .

But did have a YTZ14S Same physical size but 11.8ah and 230CCA.

So might get one of them..

• Member Contributer

Shouldn't a "good" battery be 12.7v or higher?

I think I'm done with AGM batteries.  I've eventually killed every single one I've ever owned--and that's with hooking them up to a smart charger/maintainer.  I'm planning to buy a single, large capacity Lithium battery which will physically fit into all of my bikes (from 250cc to 800cc).  After all, I can only ride one at a time anyway...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Hi Pete.

Definetly go with the 14S it's exactly the same dimensions as the 12S but with the greater cranking ability. The Yusa is expensive and there are many cheaper equivalents to the YTZ14S, and of course there is the Lithium Ion option, the choice is yours. Surprised you only got 3 years out of the YTZ12S that's pretty disappointing from a genuine Yuasa.

Good Luck.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, JZH said:

Shouldn't a "good" battery be 12.7v or higher?

I think I'm done with AGM batteries.  I've eventually killed every single one I've ever owned--and that's with hooking them up to a smart charger/maintainer.  I'm planning to buy a single, large capacity Lithium battery which will physically fit into all of my bikes (from 250cc to 800cc).  After all, I can only ride one at a time anyway...

Ciao,

JZH

Yeah 12.7 or higher is desired.

I've had a mixed bag with AGM more + than not, so will prob go again. In your circumstances Lithium is ideal,

• Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, PetePower said:

New Yuasa YTZ14S fitted, problem solved.

Excellent, the extra grunt from the 14S should be a benifit. Hope you get far greater than the 3 years from your previous. If you have a votltmeter its only a 2 second check to verify your charging voltage, the 8gen has a stable 14.5 charge voltage.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2020 at 4:19 PM, Grum said:

Excellent, the extra grunt from the 14S should be a benifit. Hope you get far greater than the 3 years from your previous. If you have a votltmeter its only a 2 second check to verify your charging voltage, the 8gen has a stable 14.5 charge voltage.

Cheers.

Yes I checked charging voltage before removing old battery and 14.5 on the meter. She starts like a good thing now.

I'm really loving those heated grips this winter, makes you wonder how you got by without them.

Archived