Main Fuse A - Starter Relay Wiring Mod for 5 & 6gens.

Grum

• Member Contributer

Had a thought about using the 4th unused connection/terminal on the Starter Relay to Main Fuse A.

This mod will share the load current through TWO terminals not just one and hopefully never cause the burning, high resistance connections so many owners have experienced.

- Firstly Remove Main Fuse A.

- Make up a lead with similar gauge as the existing Red wire, and crimp a spade connector to the end, the same type as per the existing ones, insert the lead into the spare hole of the Red connector. Splice/solder the other end onto the existing Red wire and insulate it. A good spray of CRC-2-26 electrical lubricant or equivalent into the connections would also help.

- Re-Install Main Fuse A.

Check out the two drawings attached. If you're not up to doing the mod yourself, any good auto electrician could do it for you.

Sorry I no longer have a 6gen so can't provide better how to do it info or photos of the mod coz I've not done it!

Cheers.:beer:

Wiring as is.

Starter_Wiring_Mod1.png

Wiring After Mod.

Starter_Wirind_Mod.png

The 4 Connections at the Starter Relay. NOTE - The two terminals closest to the 30a Main fuse left and right are the relay coil connections Yellow/Red and Green/Red wires. The two others are connected to the Main Fuse. Red/Wire.

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Good idea.  Might I also suggest just taking the R/R portion of the wiring directly to battery and getting rid of the R/R load on the starter relay altogether.  If you do that, fuse it with a 30A fuse or breaker.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, raYzerman said:

Good idea.  Might I also suggest just taking the R/R portion of the wiring directly to battery and getting rid of the R/R load on the starter relay altogether.  If you do that, fuse it with a 30A fuse or breaker.

Hi raYzerman.

R/R has no load on the starter relay, and connects to battery via Fuse B 30 amp. By having the R/R output directly connected to the battery via another 30amp fuse or breaker, would just mean that in the event of an R/R short it would take out its own fuse and not effect the bike operation until your battery finally discharges.

Am I understanding you correctly? Is there some other advantage I'm not seeing here with what your proposing?

I guess that would be a good thing to do when replacing or upgrading the R/R.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

I'll withdraw my suggestion...... got confused with another wiring issue and typed too hastily.... you are correct, no R/R load on the starter relay at all. 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, raYzerman said:

I'll withdraw my suggestion...... got confused with another wiring issue and typed too hastily.... you are correct, no R/R load on the starter relay at all. 

Not a problem my friend, with my ageing brain I do that plenty of times! :wacko:

Cheers.:fing02:

Archived