Headlight options

dbandler

I need to replace one of of my headlights and thought it might be worth replacing both with something aftermarket that is a bit brighter.  Anything particular that folks on VFRD recommend?

• Member Contributer

A reflector headlight design doesn't really lend itself to upgrading, but many people are happy with slightly brighter H4 halogens.  You can make it worse.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

I've tried several brands but mostly halogens.  That said, the brightest bulbs tend to not last very long-don't know if it's the higher heat generated in the headlight housing or if the electrical system doesn't mesh well with them.  I bought a very expensive pair of Sylvania bulbs and they lasted maybe 1 month.  I'd go rather pedestrian Sylvania halogens-they seem to have a brighter output and moderate lifespan.

• Member Contributer

@dbandler 

What is your aim?  Better visibility riding at night on roads without streetlights??

Or the hope other motorists will notice you?

• Member Contributer

I installed F2 LED's, as I've done on my other bikes.  They are the closest to halogen in the aim department (filament placement), much brighter but not blinding to anyone as long as not aimed too high.  Look for the yellow box with F2 on it, there are other LED's out there not as good.   Shop around, I've bought them for as low as $40.

When you install, trim 1/8" off the ID of the rubber (forward edge) so the "bulb" portion seats easier.  Also have to cut the two lower tabs off the adapters since Honda uses a unique bulb.  Leave the wider upper tab intact.  Note install the LED's with the little reflectors pointing up.  They are for the low beam.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-9003-F2-LED-Headlight-72W-12000LM-Cree-Chips-White-6K-Driving-Front-H-L-Bulbs/223491975158?hash=item340928e7f6:g:k6MAAOSw43JbyYPU

18 hours ago, Dutchy said:

@dbandler 

What is your aim?  Better visibility riding at night on roads without streetlights??

Or the hope other motorists will notice you?

Mainly just looking for something a bit brighter, sounds like a slightly brighter H4 halogen is the right choice for longevity.  Thanks for all the responses!

And... Don't be like me... instead of blundering along trying to pull the socket off of the back of the bulb without really knowing/remembering how to release it from the bulb.  It's better to refer to the Honda VFR800 Service Manual, page 19-6, for the step-by-step how-to on removing and replacing headlight bulbs on the bike.

Honda H4 bulbs are non-standard so you may need to modify what you get.  Higher wattage tungsten bulbs will probably require upgraded wiring also.  LED is an option, may or may not be brighter but they do not use much current.  I am using the LED style with the copper braid heat sinks,  I had to trim the mounting ears to get them to fit.  I am happy with the results but I was mainly after lower current drain.

http://dastern.torque.net/Mods/H4mod.html

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, JoelF said:

Honda H4 bulbs are non-standard so you may need to modify what you get. 

Honda in the USA yes, but for the EU market Honda fitted standard H4 sockets.

• Member Contributer

I love my LED lights. I can tell I'm much more conspicuous, whether coming up to traffic from behind or facing traffic. I do not get flashed by oncomming traffic. And the brights! Amazing coverage; and quite white. I've also mounted fork LEDs (short distance ahead and broad side to side). I used to hate the unlit inside of corners at night. Now I can see the inside of a curve twenty meters to the side. The "L" brackets I had made by a local shop allow my to adjust up and down and side to side.

New fork driving lights .JPG

• Member Contributer

Hey MaxSwell. Those lights are so bloody bright they've turned the ground to white! What is that stuff? :wacko: 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Grum said:

Hey MaxSwell. Those lights are so bloody bright they've turned the ground to white! What is that stuff? :wacko: 

If MaxSwell lives in Colombia,

my bet is that the white stuff is coke..... :goofy:

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Grum said:

Dutchy is close. Here we use decorative cotton to give the illusion that it's cold here. Keeps out the riffraff. :pinocchio:

• Member Contributer

Out on the highway... late at night...

inky blackness is stealing your sight...

you got halogen head lights and they ain't bright...

your motorcycling by pale moon light ....

I replaced my PIAA 60/55 watt Xenon gas Super White bulbs that glow in the 4200
Kelin range with Speed Metal's 25 watt Cree LED H4 with a working high
and low beam...

$69 each at Cycle Gear...
http://www.cyclegear.com/SPEEDMETAL-LED-Conversion-Kit

CreeLED (3).JPG
CreeLED (2).JPG
CreeLED (1).JPG

• Member Contributer

Making it brighter is easy; making it better is not.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, JZH said:

Making it brighter is easy; making it better is not.

Ciao,

JZH

I'm riding so bright I got to wear shades!!!

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, BusyLittleShop said:

I'm riding so bright I got wear shades!!!

Perfect!

Bought a 'cheaper' pair from einparts here in Europe. 130zl = $42 for the pair. They're bright and don't get into other drivers' eyes since there is an appropriate cut off built in.  Getting it right and bright is pretty easy to do these days. 

Archived