Cooling fan motor switch

Jurassic

I'm the recent proud owner of a '99VFR, it's running great, but I'm perplexed by a on/off toggle switch that has been mounted on the left hand side of the meter panel. It appears that the output from the cooling fan motor switch has had an additional wire added which is connected to this toggle switch with the other side of the switch going to earth on the frame. It seems that there is an opportunity to earth the cooling fan motor switch. Any ideas

P6190289-2.jpg

P6190291-2.jpg

P6190288-2.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yes - engIne cool, turn the key on and see if one of the switch positions turns on the fan.  The switch should provide an alternate path to ground besides the thermo switch. It could have been installed due to a faulty thermo switch or low coolant level making thermo switch inoperable. When the coolant temp gets to  220, place the switch in the off position to verify thermo switch operation.

It looks like your switch might have 3 positions (on - off - on).  If so, one additional  function can be added. I have the additional function on my 6th gen.  Send a PM if interested. 

you'd be surprised how much better the 5th Gen radiators can dump heat to the atmosphere WHEN THEY'RE CLEAN. 

many, if not most, 5th Gen owners never think to clean the 20+ years of accumulated road grime off of the radiator cooling fins.  a can of spray-on foaming air conditioner coil cleaner will remove the build-up.  after cleaning the radiators are able to reject a lot more heat into the airflow around them.

Been out on first ride today, coolant temp. didn't get above about 80, air temp was fairly warm about 17. Is coolant temp. likely to reach 220 so I can test function? The switch is just on/off, and as suggested switches the cooling fan on. When would I need to use this? Thanks for your responses.

• Member Contributer

I use mine when weather is hot and I'm coming up to where I  know I'll be moving slowly.  45k or under,  more or less 30 mph.  That gets me "ahead of the game", keeps temps down before system gets heat saturated. I usually do that at around 200 degs.  The flip side is using a 3 way switch. Once the fan is on and you get rolling at a good clip,  since the fan  pushes air the opposite direction vs the natural flow across the left rad,  the air movement stalls and the temp builds despite being at highway speeds. Mine is also set up to force the fan off,  so in those situations it cools down more quickly.  You have to keep on top of it though and remember to turn the fan back to auto operation or it will overheat at the next stop light.  Since doing this mod I've had no issues with overheating. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 6/19/2020 at 7:41 PM, GreginDenver said:

you'd be surprised how much better the 5th Gen radiators can dump heat to the atmosphere WHEN THEY'RE CLEAN. 

many, if not most, 5th Gen owners never think to clean the 20+ years of accumulated road grime off of the radiator cooling fins.  a can of spray-on foaming air conditioner coil cleaner will remove the build-up.  after cleaning the radiators are able to reject a lot more heat into the airflow around them.

Great tip. Another COVID quarantine maintenance item to add to my list!

On 6/20/2020 at 4:41 AM, GreginDenver said:

Was about to install ip67 fans. They are great for the electrical system but expensive for my country. Just cleaned the radiators and replaced with the proper coolant. She stays cool now unless stuck in 2nd gear, at low speeds, for long distances. 

• Member Contributer
On 6/20/2020 at 3:12 PM, Cogswell said:

I use mine when weather is hot and I'm coming up to where I  know I'll be moving slowly.  45k or under,  more or less 30 mph.  That gets me "ahead of the game", keeps temps down before system gets heat saturated. I usually do that at around 200 degs.  The flip side is using a 3 way switch. Once the fan is on and you get rolling at a good clip,  since the fan  pushes air the opposite direction vs the natural flow across the left rad,  the air movement stalls and the temp builds despite being at highway speeds. Mine is also set up to force the fan off,  so in those situations it cools down more quickly.  You have to keep on top of it though and remember to turn the fan back to auto operation or it will overheat at the next stop light.  Since doing this mod I've had no issues with overheating. 

I’m surprised you don’t just install a VTR fan blade, which blows outward. 

Honda part #19020-MBB-003

Archived