Paint touch-up possible?

I'm tempted to leave this one alone, but asking anyway: I bought the bike with heavy scratches, highsided at low speeds, both sides. Since they guy I bought it from is a friend, I just told him to repair it to a functional state and leave the scratches alone. Now I have to deal with them šŸ™‚

Ā 

It's a candy red, possibly "Bourgogne" (R-107C-U).

Anyway, I know a perfect touchup is not possible andĀ I'm not willing to buy new fairingsĀ for cosmetic blemishes.Ā Painting everything is out of the question, as I would need to do the 3 cases as well, and they wouldn't match with something else if I have to sell them (for example).

Ā 

I used a touch-up marker on my car (which has an even harder color to match, 20 layers or something) and was ok with the result, better than the bare plastic color. Did anyone else try this and has any suggestions?

Ā 

I'm just tempted to buy two of those one of those touch-up markers and blend the color a bit so it's closer to deep red. Perhaps I can also work some of that paint into the long scratches and buff the excess off.

Ā 

EDIT: found a thread with the color codesĀ https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/83335-red-vfr1200-paint-codes-10-plate/

Ā 

Ā 

0Aq1G1i.png

Ā 

y4xyGZL.png

Ā 

DM3p1hM.png

Ā 

N1i11ra.png

Ā 

Ā 

OK, this is silly, don't know how to delete a screenshot uploaded by mistake

image.thumb.png.a4140ce2ecffa8424063483a4118f22b.png

Ā 

Ā 

• Member Contributer

You could get away with a paint pen on the frame but the panels will look a mess

Ā 

The paint code will be on the bike, spray cans of Honda paint arenā€™t difficult to find

Ā 

This looks like your colour ā€œHonda R342C Candy Prominence Redā€ Ā Ā https://www.colorrite.com/product/honda-r342c-candy-prominence-red-2286.cfm

• Member Contributer

Those usually pop up on ebay for around 75-100 per side. Considering they are 800-900 from Honda, that would be your best bet.

Wow, I did not go they can go so cheap, I haven't looked out for them in years though.

I ordered a cheap touch-up kit with 20ml with R432C a couple of days ago, it should arrive tomorrow. Looking more carefully today and studying some youtube videos, I have my doubts that I will be able to improve anything. I mostly just want to make them slightly less visible from far away. I might try to fill the thin deep scratches with a syringe or a toothpick. I doubt the large areas can be improved, they will probably look somebody put nail polish on them. Maybe I can lower the contrast and get rid of the black and grey showing up.

I have very similar scrapes on my fairing. A tipover at the top of my very steep driveway resulted in a 15 foot slide on concrete. When I eventually get a touring bike and put the big Viffer back to pure sportbike, I'll probablyĀ  get a set of aftermarket injection molded fairing and get them custom wrapped or painted (I'm thinking Repsol livery). For now, aĀ little Bondo body filler before you paint may help the larger areas. On the passenger grab rails, I just used a black Sharpie; like you said, just less noticeable from afar...Ā 

Well, I played a bit with the paint, it came in 3 parts. I managed to put the first layer (base coat / primer) in 2-3 layers and below are the results. From my tests on a piece of plastic, the clear coat is required, otherwise the paint can easily come off with some solvent (mild acetone). I'm afraid that the clear coat will ruin everything, because right now it looks almost perfect. Be aware that the pictures don't show exactly the reality, a movie would capture the flaws more easily.

Ā 

Ā 

image.thumb.png.96badb7b5ea66836cdb4514e372f4fdb.png

Ā 

image.thumb.png.f92150dc89a442127272e4733b48019e.pngimage.thumb.png.0b4ad2b61d89d2daccaa1d325eacccdd.png

Ā 

c6LHZZskvKaVFsbYz5GlJn3jvsCQ1gXx_h8rBZ3JoMBdQiZH6FSypUru96FJ5kEtPI0dUSarDPPSjz7OMkqfrVznXIJWZtk-o0G2Zni9FZ5VxWuvhqp-sTfNfSEu3MyB6RL5TYHkP7jo_sOD5_WeH91UTScmFbKFpwdWssO5oITAsw4lyi-5ykIq0uipQMkPaXcWsjXHBN7MyJJbwjJehfV_4NWnvt3yRnhtfWf6f8HirfGQ3fsO3igUsiI5C-8lJqLCsnxZECLLX37s1WF4L5UO6htvPe77X-_mlKfrvGm5HJO0i2lOT6J4LZ5GoFkElTeCrYBc-8sPElr8bx9PYjXcd9QYi65lWk9gaChVq_Wz_v8v0ToVqvbVjCba0iW32-uP6rIE5EVC0NsJu-pulLl9klIgUMh7VxeZizQYV-COR8WCgXD-MMP0wszKei3oWMky-A4e1Y_cWtd03QNMvQEOH8P5Ntwgx5j_InlRQ14a65IfiQf1eMsVv4kpodo5sE7LIbPHVs_3Cg1rRWGGqmRIDdx8MiXcr2vFXkf3EKPV3RVb5rIL7j1oMt7NFAnrbHsfnEn88aWsPHVw-0NFiCnEyuj9Wl8omxkc07JQarENIFqNv8SoI2UCHE2WrFqt1j-FgGOfTwODNK9gqgVk1VNQmayGw4Aw0Zlt9EjW_HPrw_Ld6rgXWDJt4KeIwA=w1288-h966-no?authuser=0

Ā 

image.thumb.png.16a8f497b26740cd22f099d6454421c4.png

• Member Contributer

Acetone is a solvent for the plastics so be very carefulĀ 

Ā 

Wash clean with water or ISO

Just to be clear, I did not test acetone on the motorcycle, just on some random plastic piece to see how the paint lays down and how it looks. I'm washing the surfaces to be painted with soap+water and then isopropyl, before laying down the paint.

On the test piece, acetone was starting to remove the base coats (both of them) but did not touch the clear coat (lacquer?).

• 5 months later...

Has any of you guys been able to track down the color code for the engineĀ on the VFR 1200? Mine has some small damage to it that i'd like to try and fix, seems to be the same color as the back end of the final drive, which by chance also has a knick on mine.
Any idea what the correct color is? Or one that gets close at least šŸ˜›Ā 

Archived