Is this a burnt out socket?

Ryan

I would say at least one of those connectors inside that block are corroded.

Is the plastic block melted?

I would check the connectors from the main harness to the keyed ignition, main fuse b next to the battery, and the stator to regulator for heat stress and/or corrosion also. That's where mine failed anyway.

The charging system connectors seem to be the weak point on the VFR

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Just looks possibly a bit corroded as stated above but not burnt out. If you see charred or brown heat deformation that's burnt.

Thanks for reply guys.

Nothing is melted, but I did smell a plastic smell from underneath shortly after my battery died. Thought it was the battery and replaced that but it wasn't. Should have checked

I'm hoping its not the altenator, I believe that can be pricey!

• Member Contributer

Solve this problem for Good. Possibly!

Had a thought about using that spare 4th connection/terminal on the Starter Relay. it appears to share it with the RED wire, being two connection to the Main Fuse A.

- Make up a lead with Red wire the same gauge as the existing Red wire, and crimp a spade connector to the end the same type as the existing ones and insert the lead into the spare hole of the Red connector. Splice/solder the other end onto the existing Red wire and insulate it. A good spray of CRC-2-26 electrical lubricant or equivalent into the connections would also help.

This mod will share the load current through TWO terminals not just one and hopefully never cause burning, high resistance connections so many owners have experienced.

Check out the two drawings attached. If you're not up to doing the mod yourself, any good auto electrician could do it for you.

Cheers.:beer:

Wiring as is.

Starter_Wiring_Mod1.png

Wiring After Mod.

Starter_Wirind_Mod.png

The 4 Connections at the Starter Relay.

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Hi Ryan.

Here's what a burnt one can look like. Your's appears to be a typical moisture ingress scenario. Are able to clean up the connector with some good electrical lubricant like CRC-2-26 or equivalent and perhaps with a fine screwdriver close up the spade connector slightly ensuring good contact with the starter relay, then you should be fine. OR try the mod suggested above.

image.jpeg

Archived