My first VFR!

rtho782

Can anyone identify this strange noise while the ignition is on?

It sounds like the bike is making little quiet "vroom vroooom" noises to itself.

Just spoke to my mate (and also opposite neighbour) who has a VFR12F manual himself.. he saw your video and in 2secs confirmed his bike also makes whirring noises ignition on / pre-start. He has had his bike for several years and done more than 20k miles in that time.
My mate says “it’s the magneto”

...I was surprised to learn that a X-Men character was inside every VFR12F engine, but there you go, learn somethin new every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bike really seems very close to vertical when on it's sidestand, I'm not sure if it's just me but I feel like if I put it on anything but 100% flat ground it's practically ready to fall over in a stuff breeze. It's definitely much closer to vertical than my old bike.

I'm 99% sure it hasn't been lowered, certainly the front forks haven't but I guess maybe I wouldn't be able to easily see on the back spring.

Anyone else experienced this?

• Member Contributer

Bring it on over here and check it against mine if you like.

Just ran outside to see if I could hear the same noise (I can) then realised I was hours behind and you already had your answer. Mine makes the same noise!

If you want a set of (brand new) helibars, I might know someone who has a set going cheap (er) than new price. 

Glad to know you got her home (mostly) ok, don't worry, we've all let a bike go at some point (some of us with the Mrs on the back 😱). 

:beer:

I've ordered the helibars already, and apparently the DCT ones are different to the non-DCT, but thanks 🙂

I only noticed the noise as I had the ignition on so the 12v socket came on to use the compressor to check the tyre pressures, and I was like "hmm, why does it sound like there is a tiny motorbike inside my motorbike?"

If it is lowered, it's lowered, I would not consider changing the suspension geometry like that myself, I'd rather live with 1 foot on the ground, but I don't think I'd choose to make it taller, and it doesn't SEEM lower than the ones I remember sitting on years ago.

I have spied an adjustable aluminium kickstand that says it is compatible with the vfr12, and is rated to 500kg, might pick one up.

All my toys will start arriving tomorrow!! 😄

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Marsman99 said:

That's the fuel pump.  Perfectly normal.

Don't think it's the Fuel Pump. The VFR1200 appears to be the same as 5th, 6th and 8gen in that at switch on the Fuel Pump relay is energized On by the ECM for about 2secs then shuts off.

The big difference with the VFR1200 is the TBW system (Throttle By Wire). Perhaps it's the Throttle Valve Motor doing its thing! It's a typical noise you hear on modern day cars. My Mazda 3 makes this noise, (although it's a constant high pitch noise) for 30secs after engine switch off and it's definitely coming from the Throttle Body Motor, strange, but completly normal. It probably makes the same noise with engine running but you just don't hear it over the engine noise.

Don't think it's the Fuel Pump. The VFR1200 appears to be the same as 5th, 6th and 8gen in that at switch on the Fuel Pump relay is energized On by the ECM for about 2secs then shuts off.
The big difference with the VFR1200 is the TBW system (Throttle By Wire). Perhaps it's the Throttle Valve Motor doing its thing! It's a typical noise you hear on modern day cars. My Mazda 3 makes this noise, (although it's a constant high pitch noise) for 30secs after engine switch off and it's definitely coming from the Throttle Body Motor, strange, but completly normal. It probably makes the same noise with engine running but you just don't hear it over the engine noise.

+1 vote re: not fuel pump

The sound is far more like capacitor(s) charging / discharging in an effort to maintain steady state in prep for ‘engine fire’... and that electrical feed will all be coming from the magneto.

First bike related toys arrived today, a pair of Sena 50S intercoms for me and the wife. The plan is to go out together a lot more on the new bike so I figured we needed proper intercoms 🙂

811772386_2020-06-2212_46_52.thumb.jpg.c13f4fb92b0a317a30bbf6a05b03c6c3.jpg

I got one of the technicians from my local honda dealership to take a quick look at it for me today and he is confident it hasn't been lowered. I'm still not 100% happy with how upright it (at least sometimes) is on the sidestand, I guess it could be the suspension preload but it's hard to adjust that without it on it's centrestand and I'm currently a bit paranoid about putting it back on the centre stand!!!

I will do that eventually, but I might still order the adjustable sidestand and then I can just make it lean over more which should make me feel safer leaving it. I was thinking something like this:

https://www.motea.com/en/motorcycle-side-stand-height-adjustable-aluminium-kickstand-tourtecs-black-189221-0?b=985

Experimented with the topbox, no way in hell both helmets are going in it, and whoever said one of the panniers fits a helmet must have had the world smallest head!

I think I'm going to end up fitting my Givi E55 Maxia topbox to it.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, rtho782 said:

I got one of the technicians from my local honda dealership to take a quick look at it for me today and he is confident it hasn't been lowered. I'm still not 100% happy with how upright it (at least sometimes) is on the sidestand, I guess it could be the suspension preload but it's hard to adjust that without it on it's centrestand and I'm currently a bit paranoid about putting it back on the centre stand!!!

I will do that eventually, but I might still order the adjustable sidestand and then I can just make it lean over more which should make me feel safer leaving it. I was thinking something like this:

https://www.motea.com/en/motorcycle-side-stand-height-adjustable-aluminium-kickstand-tourtecs-black-189221-0?b=985

M8, before you go off and potentially waste time & money, why not just compare it to another 1200? It could easily be just your interpretation.

I also must have missed your centrestand issue; for me, the 1200 is the easiest bike ever to put on and take off the centrestand. Certainly much easier than the 800. What's the problem?

19 minutes ago, Skids said:

M8, before you go off and potentially waste time & money, why not just compare it to another 1200? It could easily be just your interpretation.

I also must have missed your centrestand issue; for me, the 1200 is the easiest bike ever to put on and take off the centrestand. Certainly much easier than the 800. What's the problem?

On the way home I put it on the centrestand to get the maximum fuel in the tank, and dropped the bike getting it off the stand, to be fair I've not had a bike with a centrestand before, so not used to it.

I was just trying to pull it forward with the sidestand down, then lean it down onto the sidestand, but as it went forward the sidestand hit my leg and went up, so I pushed the bike away from me a bit to compensate for having previously been pulling it towards me, and it went over away from me.

I've since looked at videos etc and I think next time I'll roll it off the centrestand while sat on it, or roll it forwards while stood on the centrestand lever so that I can then lower it down slowly, but I'm a bit wary about practising without someone there.

• Member Contributer

Oh well....that’s out of the way .....

45 minutes ago, rtho782 said:

I've since looked at videos etc and I think next time I'll roll it off the centrestand while sat on it, or roll it forwards while stood on the centrestand lever so that I can then lower it down slowly, but I'm a bit wary about practising without someone there.

Sorry that happened to you.  😞

I've often been nervous trying to get my 6th gen onto and off of its centerstand.  I used to only get it down from there while sitting on the bike and rocking it forward.  Just in the last year or so I finally got comfortable pushing it off the stand while standing next to the bike.

Anyway, everyone drops their bike once in a while, including me.  Once or twice while moving it, and once or twice while on it.  Not the end of the world.  After the first time though, I bought a set of frame sliders.  Worth every penny.

6 minutes ago, TimC said:

Sorry that happened to you.  😞

I've often been nervous trying to get my 6th gen onto and off of its centerstand.  I used to only get it down from there while sitting on the bike and rocking it forward.  Just in the last year or so I finally got comfortable pushing it off the stand while standing next to the bike.

Anyway, everyone drops their bike once in a while, including me.  Once or twice while moving it, and once or twice while on it.  Not the end of the world.  After the first time though, I bought a set of frame sliders.  Worth every penny.

Yeah, the crash bungs kept the damage to an absolute minimum 🙂

I had the same issue when first using the center stand.   Frame savers did save my right side fairing when I over leaned the bike away from me, while placing on the center stand. 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, rtho782 said:

RAM mount arrived, I don't yet have anything to mount to it!!

2020-06-23_11_41_05.jpg

Telferizer?

Baglux tank cover (for my existing tank bag) has arrived, don't really like the look of it so it will stay on only when I'm using the tank bag.

Garmin Zumo XT Satnav also arrived!!

I was wondering where to take 12v from, but it was so easy to tuck the wire into the plastic surrounding the tank and wire it into the battery itself I've just done that for now. Obviously this means it's always powered, and the little 5v transformer in the wire will have some parasitic battery drain, but it will do for now. I need to find a convenient switched 12v source really.

2020-06-25_16_15_05.jpg

Does anyone know if the Givi Monokey adaptor for the VFR1200X Crosstourer will fit?

https://media.givi.it/XN-Prodotti/istruzioni/SRA1110.pdf

The original Honda 45L carriers look very very similar....

VFR1200FGenuine Honda VFR1200F 2012 Arrier Brkt Kit Part 1: 08L73MGED40 ...

VFR1200X TOP BOX BRACKET for Honda CROSSTOURER 1200 2013 # HONDA ...

I need to put my Givi E55 topbox on because the honda one is too small for both helmets.

• Member Contributer

I can't imagine they're different but cannot say for sure.

I can't imagine they're different but cannot say for sure.

Yeah +1 vote, and it’s worth noting that those schematics don’t illustrate to scale, so while they may appear the same shape some components may be larger or smaller.

...still, if it were me in your boots OP, and presented with the same info and decision, I think I would be tempted to take a leap of faith. Same brand, overlap in terms of production, a lot of cross-over for various bits n pieces / accessories, schematics for this accessory is virtually a Siamese sister.. the risk of incompatibility seems low to me. But it’s you who has to stump up the cash.

Sorry if I missed it, but why are you having to consider a VFR1200X top box mount? Is the F version out of stock or somethin?

Loving how quickly yours is coming on seen as you’ve only had her all of what, 5mins?!

It’s looking the biz mate (tank bag aside ). I’m guessing you’ve pulled out a map and started pencilling out a potential route by now!

NC500 could be a good choice while international travel is, well, rather tricky shall we say.

I was supposed to be on my way to Holland this weekend on my VFR for Moto GP Assen, which obvs ain’t happenin ..had days off work booked for it.

Hope I get a refund on the ticket

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, RedlineDrifter said:

Yeah +1 vote, and it’s worth noting that those schematics don’t illustrate to scale, so while they may appear the same shape some components may be larger or smaller.

Just be a case of checking Part No's to see if they're the same!

Archived