My first VFR!

rtho782

• Member Contributer

The lower mounting plates are different shapes, though the mounting lugs look to be the same spacing. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the givi rack for the vfr1200f is a horrible one that replaces the stock 'arms' with the givi type ones that have a tendancy to rust and generally look crap, hence wanting to use the existing arms. I think I'm just going to clamp one of the generic monkey plates to the existing rack.

In other news, the r&g radiator guard arrived, however this required removal of the left fairing and I cannot get it to go back on properly no matter what I do.

Not quite sure what to do now, I don't want to ride it like this in case I rip the fairing off, so I guess this weekend is out now and I have to try to get it to a dealer or something next week 😭

Think I've sorted it.

A couple of the tiny plastic clips holding that top section of inner fairing to the outer fairing had snapped, not sure if that was me or it was already liked that, but a slight application of araldite rapid has hopefully fixed it.

There is no actual need for me to remove the inner bit from the outer bit so I'm happy with that.

Newest toys...

R&G kickstand extender thing, easier than carrying a puck as it stays on, and came in handy parked on grass today while my friend hunted for random cans in the nearby bin to rest his fjr1300 on!

R&G radiator guard, I always thought these were a little pointless, but having had a hole in the rad on my last bike convinced me otherwise!

My first decent ride with the wife as pillion, to Mersea Island, also my first time with all the luggage on. Unlike the last bike, it really doesn't struggle with the extra weight at all, I adore this bike.

IMG_20200627_185122.jpg

IMG_20200627_185131.jpg

FB_IMG_1593281129326.jpg

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, rtho782 said:

I adore this bike.

Welcome to the club :beer:

The Givi E251 topplate turned up (the generic one) and I mounted it to the Honda bracket, and put my old topbox on. Seems pretty solid, if I shake it the bike moves not the box, box definitely isn't as pretty, but it actually fits both helmets in at 55L vs 45L for the Honda one.

A friend of mine is having his FJR1300 boxes resprayed to match his bike, so I might do that.

Pretty incredible to think that's like 5 extra 2L coke bottles of space.....

2020-06-30_15_57_21.jpg

2020-06-30_15_56_51.jpg

2020-06-30_15_56_42.jpg

2020-06-30_15_56_33.jpg

Thanks, I can't find the terminals I want so I think I'll just cut the existing ones off and put my own on.

Powerbronze rear hugger turned up today, hopefully this keeps some mess off the back end.

I was mooching at @Skids signature and looking at MCT, it seems they are in Stowmarket which is only 20 minutes from me and even less from work so might see what they can do for me!

Edit: I may have it booked in with MCT (sshhhhh don't tell the wife!!) although their next appointment wasn't until September!!

2020-07-03_10_21_54.jpg

• Member Contributer

Highly recommended. Had my first Crossrunner upgraded there too and the new one will be visiting sometime as well.

What options did you go for?

Full MCT rebuild on the front forks and the wilbers shock, the guy was saying that the preload siezes in the OEM shock (which I think perhaps is why I seem to be struggling to harden mine up, I think initially it was very soft which was why I thought it had been lowered).

Unfortunately it's not booked in until Sept 24th as he is very busy!

• Member Contributer

He's always busy.

Sounds like the same work I had done on mine.

You won't regret it, transforms the bike.

https://www.ledperf.co.uk/honda-vfr-1200-xenon-hid-conversion-kit-p-17912.html Looking at HID kits, if I go for this one it will be the 55W kit, because you know, if I'm going bright I might as well go all the bright.

Anyone have any more specific recommendations? The company you used in your 2015 post don't seem to exist anymore Skids.

• Member Contributer

The issue, at least for me, with HiD Xenon is locating the ballast somewhere. It wont fit inside the headlamp unit which means you have to cut the existing headlamp wires and pass the ballast through the waterproof rubber gaiter. Then there is also precious little space to mount the ballast. I'm not 100% happy with where mine is but it's been there several years and seems to be working. It was a tortuous ordeal, involved pulling the front fairing off completely to access the headlamp unit fully, but there may be an easier way now as I fitted this back in the early days.

Modern LED are much easier. The one I recently fitted to the high beam was a simple swap, no external ballast, just plug in and go. I don't know if they're putting out enough illumination yet for night riding nor if the beam pattern is affected by the change in bulb type, but I'll take a look at the beam pattern as winter approaches. And the beauty of LED is no warm up time, it's an instantaneous ON, which is perfect for the high beam flash. For the low beam, HiD is ok as it warms up when you turn the ignition on, after that, it's on permanently but again, beam pattern may be an issue. Fortunately, it wasn't for me.

Interesting, thanks for that. 

The issue with LEDs seems to be that there are so many different ones to choose from and it's hard to know which are actually good and which are marketing lies, but I will look at them instead.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, rtho782 said:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/sabsteef/posts/?ref=page_internal  This guy seems to be able to do ECU flash remotely if you hook up a laptop meaning I don't have to pull the ECU out and send it to the US....

Yes, someone else mentioned this fella a few weeks ago but I couldn't find the thread.

Will be interesting to read the experience of someone on here who decides to give him a try (as long as they remember that the restrictions are in the first 3 gears, not 2).

• Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, rtho782 said:

It seems like this ECU dump/write software is used:

https://github.com/hendriono/HondaECU

And then TunerPro to edit the ROM:

http://www.tunerpro.net

I might be able to do this myself....

All way beyond my capabilities.

Givi screen fitted, which should keep the wind off me a bit more from all the reviews I have read.

Getting the little centre upper cowl bit back on properly is an ass, it wants to lift slightly on the bottom, but I got it in the end.

Edit: Just took it for a short loop around the A14 to test it, it definitely does it's job well, however it is.... easy to lose track of your speed shall we say!!

2020-07-05_11_13_41.jpg

10 hours ago, rtho782 said:

Just booked it in for it's 24,000 mile service.... I knew this was a big one but £650!! fml 😞

Major maintenance can be expensive, but take care of it and a VFR will run forever.  🙂 

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, rtho782 said:

Just booked it in for it's 24,000 mile service.... I knew this was a big one but £650!! fml 😞

What exactly does the 24,000 mile service entail?

I find most dealerships, both cars and bikes, like to charge for them to "inspect" things, which some techs just do a cursory glance. 

5 hours ago, slowbird said:

What exactly does the 24,000 mile service entail?

I find most dealerships, both cars and bikes, like to charge for them to "inspect" things, which some techs just do a cursory glance. 

Basically all the things, but for example it's the first time the final drive oil is changed, and the coolant.

image.thumb.png.19d6572a8f252745a166d955038c58a3.png

Archived