My first VFR!

rtho782

I've been riding since 2011, and within 6 months had written off my ER6f on the motorway, and went with a Yamaha XJ6 Diversion F, as it was all I could insure at the time (For about £1200 a year!!).

9 years and many happy miles on it later, it's time for my dream bike, the one I sat on and loved in the showroom back when I passed my test, but thought I'd never be able to afford or insure....

So, I've just put a deposit down on a VFR1200FD, DCT, 23k miles, 2014, so the model with TCS etc. It looks pretty tidy to my untrained eye (and due to COVID and distance I haven't physically seen it yet), but I thought I'd share with you lot the pics I have so far, because, you know, I'm so excited I'm boring all my friends and family about it!!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been riding since 2011, and within 6 months had written off my ER6f on the motorway, and went with a Yamaha XJ6 Diversion F, as it was all I could insure at the time (For about £1200 a year!!).

9 years and many happy miles on it later, it's time for my dream bike, the one I sat on and loved in the showroom back when I passed my test, but thought I'd never be able to afford or insure....

So, I've just put a deposit down on a VFR1200FD, DCT, 23k miles, 2014, so the model with TCS etc. It looks pretty tidy to my untrained eye (and due to COVID and distance I haven't physically seen it yet), but I thought I'd share with you lot the pics I have so far, because, you know, I'm so excited I'm boring all my friends and family about it!!

imageproxy.php?img=&key=7efb97be9d19f7a0737d0938b42b793bdaefab1b1fabd2d1b9b8d41e017d2450imageproxy.php?img=&key=7efb97be9d19f7a0737d0938b42b793bdaefab1b1fabd2d1b9b8d41e017d2450imageproxy.php?img=&key=7efb97be9d19f7a0737d0938b42b793bdaefab1b1fabd2d1b9b8d41e017d2450imageproxy.php?img=&key=7efb97be9d19f7a0737d0938b42b793bdaefab1b1fabd2d1b9b8d41e017d2450imageproxy.php?img=&key=7efb97be9d19f7a0737d0938b42b793bdaefab1b1fabd2d1b9b8d41e017d2450imageproxy.php?img=&key=7efb97be9d19f7a0737d0938b42b793bdaefab1b1fabd2d1b9b8d41e017d2450imageproxy.php?img=&key=7efb97be9d19f7a0737d0938b42b793bdaefab1b1fabd2d1b9b8d41e017d2450
IMG_0336.thumb.jpg.b6f6bc182544f9be09525dcbd009d2f8.jpg
IMG_0340.thumb.jpg.2147fc29ddea409367de2aefb8722a18.jpg
IMG_0339.thumb.jpg.9fa7ff42429360ba7ff7d4b0dfe3883f.jpg
IMG_0338.thumb.jpg.16a53f1701a790dfff84cddabefe761c.jpg

Welcome to the club brother

Congratulations matey! Lovely looking example, and pretty rare in grey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on your (pending) VFR, and welcome to VFRD!!  I'm digging the color, and it looks like the bike already has a few nice farkles!  🙂 

I've spotted heated grips, although they aren't the honda ones, a centre stand, the full luggage, an extended screen that looks like the honda one to me, the R&G Sliders, and I think a non-standard seat, but I can't identify where it is from, and obviously the exhaust.

It had only just come in to the dealership, but as part of their inspection they have replaced the head bearings (hopefully nothing I should worry about?), and just now waiting for it to be PDI'd before it is delivered to me.

I'm only short, so I might end up looking at helibars, as it will be more laid down than I'm used to on the XJ6 (FZ6R for US people). The height shouldn't be an issue, back in 2011 I sat on many of these wishing I could have one, and it's only 0.2" higher than my XJ6. I feel like I wouldn't mind going back to the stock exhaust but I think finding one of those would be a nightmare.

First things will be looking for and if not found fitting an accessory socket, and probably a GPS, as I want to tour Europe on this with the wife (seeing as she consented to the purchase!) I am keeping my old Givi E55 Maxia topbox just in case the 45L honda one is too small (despite being pretty).

I've spotted heated grips, although they aren't the honda ones, a centre stand, the full luggage, an extended screen that looks like the honda one to me, the R&G Sliders, and I think a non-standard seat, but I can't identify where it is from, and obviously the exhaust.

It had only just come in to the dealership, but as part of their inspection they have replaced the head bearings (hopefully nothing I should worry about?), and just now waiting for it to be PDI'd before it is delivered to me.

I'm only short, so I might end up looking at helibars, as it will be more laid down than I'm used to on the XJ6 (FZ6R for US people). The height shouldn't be an issue, back in 2011 I sat on many of these wishing I could have one, and it's only 0.2" higher than my XJ6. I feel like I wouldn't mind going back to the stock exhaust but I think finding one of those would be a nightmare.

First things will be looking for and if not found fitting an accessory socket, and probably a GPS, as I want to tour Europe on this with the wife (seeing as she consented to the purchase!) I am keeping my old Givi E55 Maxia topbox just in case the 45L honda one is too small (despite being pretty).

My untrained eye spots the OE top box as being the larger 45ltr rather than the smaller 31ltr. I have a 45ltr one and found it to be utterly Tardis like!

Re: seat, I think that might be a stock seat with a cover over it. I’ve seen those covers on eBay and have my eye on the market as I’m actually on the look out for a seat upgrade myself. I really want a Sargent seat (sadly only offered as an in-house retrim at Sargent HQ in the US) but reckon I’ll have to settle for a local retrimming business.

Re: exhaust, it’s hard to tell from the angle of the piccy.. but is that an Akrapovič can? If it is you have just dipped in big time. I have one on my VFR12F, they improve the voice of the bike no end, offer a massive weight saving and (IMO) look better than the OE pipe. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder n all that.. so if you are desperate for one I’d be prepared to sell you my stock OE can.. or swap you for that Akro pipe.

I have indeed been told it is the Akrapovic. To be fair, my XJ6 (which I sold about an hour ago, I'm currently motorbikeless!!) had an arrow straight through exhaust, so I will probably prefer the louder sound over stock. I had heard that without the flappy valve thing on the OE exhaust you lost some low end power?

I mean, I'm going from 78hp to 170hp, I'm sure it will be fine!

I'll probably put a denali soundbomb horn on too, I did it with the XJ6 and it was so much more effective at making people pay attention than the stock one.

Goodbye XJ6!

2020-06-16 13.56.22 (1).jpg

I have indeed been told it is the Akrapovic. To be fair, my XJ6 (which I sold about an hour ago, I'm currently motorbikeless!!) had an arrow straight through exhaust, so I will probably prefer the louder sound over stock. I had heard that without the flappy valve thing on the OE exhaust you lost some low end power?

I mean, I'm going from 78hp to 170hp, I'm sure it will be fine!

I'll probably put a denali soundbomb horn on too, I did it with the XJ6 and it was so much more effective at making people pay attention than the stock one.

Goodbye XJ6!
1213685737_2020-06-1613_56.22(1).thumb.jpg.4c94010079555634172dea5d83a520f9.jpg

Holy moly! The power-gain over that diversion is literally gonna blow your socks off matey

I went from a 150bhp CBR954 (which incidentally also had an Akro can) to the VFR12F ..and despite the rather hefty 100kg of lard difference between the two bikes I didn’t feel any tangible difference in performance. I kid you not. It never ceases to amaze how the VFR hides its mass.
If there is any ‘dull’ in low down performance with the aftermarket slip-on can (without that flap) I honestly can’t feel it. The V4 lump feels quite “thick” with torque low down so you’re not up n down the box looking for that power band to overtake like you are on most other bikes, and past 4-5k rpm the power defo takes over and results in some pretty brisk performance

The slightly rudimentary power restriction in 1st n 2nd gears is perhaps the only criticism that can be thrown at the VFR12F. There’s a few forum threads about it. But you have to be giving it a fair handful to get that to interfere. Depends how heavy you are on the throttle in your riding style. For me its never been an issue and never seems to interfere even when I’m blasting away from the lights so I’m happy to live with it. It is easily overcome by fitting a ‘Bizzaz’ (prob spelt wrong ) device which tricks the bike into thinking you always start in 3rd gear even though your in “N” / 1st / 2nd and effectively disables the restriction. My buddy has one fitted to his and for £70-odd it gets you a tenth or two on the drag strip, if that’s your thing..

Love my VFR12F, not sure I can see me changing it for anything else TBH. Hope you have the same feeling when you take delivery of yours

I can't fit the Bizzaz thing as mine is a DCT, but yeah I have read about it!

The irony is that the XJ6FA is a 220kg kg bike wet so there is a ~45kg difference for a 100hp difference heh..... I am mildly scared and this is why I'm not sure I want to collect it and drive it 213 miles home myself!!

I have a feeling the power limit in 1st/2nd isn't going to be an issue. As long as I can keep up with my mate's FJR1300 it's fine!!

• Member Contributer

Hi and welcome.  :beer:

Great choice of bike and in the best (and fastest) colour! Looks like the same model as mine except for the DCT.

Those grips look like the Honda ones, but only a closer pic will tell. The Akra will be a great addition; I have a DAM on mine....the sound is ridiculously good and it does seem to smooth out the throttle a little. The ECU restrictions are in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears in the UK and it is noticeable. On the non-DCT model, you can get it flashed in the US to remove the restrictions and a few other things too but I don't know if he can do that to the DCT model. There is a lot of other stuff you can do, obviously but I guess you just want to get the bike before you even think about too much. If you look at my signature below this post you can see some of the stuff I've done and I'm very pleased with all of them. The 'best' thing you could spend your money on will be the suspension, IMO, it transforms the feel of the bike and therefore the confidence I feel with it.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on!

I'm pretty sure this is the grip heat controller, if so it can't be the honda ones. 

Yours is very pretty, extra pretty as it will look the same as mine 😄

I'm collecting it tomorrow from Macclesfield at 1730, then the long ride home. Honestly I think right now it would have enough power for me with one of the spark plugs removed so not too fussed about the power loss just yet!!

Can I ask what you think of your seat? I'm hoping to do Europe etc two up (this is how I got permission from the wife to buy it) so looking for something comfortable.

image.png

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, rtho782 said:

I'm pretty sure this is the grip heat controller, if so it can't be the honda ones. 

Yours is very pretty, extra pretty as it will look the same as mine 😄

I'm collecting it tomorrow from Macclesfield at 1730, then the long ride home. Honestly I think right now it would have enough power for me with one of the spark plugs removed so not too fussed about the power loss just yet!!

Can I ask what you think of your seat? I'm hoping to do Europe etc two up (this is how I got permission from the wife to buy it) so looking for something comfortable.

image.png

I'd still like to see a close up, when you get it.

I have a custom seat. The link is in my sig below and it's an excellent seat, gel inserts and all day comfy.

At least the weather looks better tomorrow. You'll be passing a bit too far north of me (J10 A1) to pop in for a coffee but maybe some other time.

Believe me, I will be spamming this place with photos as soon as I get my paws on the bike!

I'm looking for accessories already, I probably need to stop before I can't afford fuel on the way back. I definitely want a radiator grille having managed to puncture my XJ6 radiator, but they all seem to be for the manual version.

I'll take a look at your seating guys, cheers!

Edit: R&G do a DCT version of their radiator grill, but I've just realised I'd be crazy to buy one before actually seeing if it has one 😄

Got it home!

However, when stopping for fuel I put it on the centre stand, then, not being used to centre stands, when taking it off knocked the side stand up, overcompensated against pulling it towards me, as I had been aiming to put it on the side stand, and dropped it away from me.

Fortunately I didn't have the luggage on, and the r&g crash bungs protected the faring but I have scuffed the wingmirror and the rear grabrail 😞

It is what it is, I think I will leave the centrestand alone for now, but it's still beautiful!

Such a pleasure to ride, the DCT will take some getting used to but I like it. I might consider some helibars.

It's definitely a world more power. The difference is incredible!!!

IMG_20200620_204233.jpg

Got it home!

However, when stopping for fuel I put it on the centre stand, then, not being used to centre stands, when taking it off knocked the side stand up, overcompensated against pulling it towards me, as I had been aiming to put it on the side stand, and dropped it away from me.

Fortunately I didn't have the luggage on, and the r&g crash bungs protected the faring but I have scuffed the wingmirror and the rear grabrail

It is what it is, I think I will leave the centrestand alone for now, but it's still beautiful!

Such a pleasure to ride, the DCT will take some getting used to but I like it. I might consider some helibars.

It's definitely a world more power. The difference is incredible!!!
IMG_20200620_204233.thumb.jpg.df2dd5b9326e7d63118070e39c4cfaaf.jpg

Oh bugger n blast that’s not the first experience I was hoping to hear from you ...really truly sorry to hear that matey.
Thank the gods for crash bungs eh!
Sounds like you got off lightly tho with the wing mirror / grab rail scuffs. Luckily no fairing scuffs!!

Mirror parts are thankfully not so expensive. I snapped a mirror last year and bought a new one from my local Honda dealer. A rattle can of black paint and that grab handle will be looking like new in no time

I think most folks have their own technique for putting away the centre stand. I’m 75kg and have arms like pipe cleaners, so I know I got no chance rescuing my VFR if she’s tipping over while static.
My technique (not failed yet) is to fully mount the bike while on its centre stand, then with both feet on the floor use your feet to ‘push’ forward (sometimes need a pelvic thrust to assist ) and the stand folds away then your ready to click 1st n drop the clutch.
Practice n repetition, you’ll be flinging it up n down the centre stand like a boss in no time

Congratulations on getting the big beast home (spill aside), 200+ miles on a new bike straight off the bat deserves a pat on the back... and a cold beer (or several)

Enjoy your evening bud

Ah such is life! Glad to hear the mirror plastics are cheap,  a dab of black paint on the grab rail will sort that bit out anyway. Thank fuck I didn't have the luggage on!!!

Being short, both feet on the ground is kind of tiptoes, so I'm a bit reluctant to roll it off the centre stand while sat on it, I'm thinking having spent the last couple of hours reading and watching YouTube, I need to put my foot on the centre stand as if I'm putting it on it, roll it forward with my weight on the stand, and slowly lower it down. However, I'm not sure I want to test it just yet!!!

On the sidestand the bike is much closer to vertical than my old bike, I kind of worry a stuff breeze will push it over, but I'm sure I'm just being paranoid.

I have ordered a zumo xt satnav, ram mount hd, some new Kevlar jeans, and a pair of Sena 50s intercoms for me and the Mrs.

Oh, and the r&g radiator guard, r&g sidestand cup thing (that stays on the sidestand foot to make it larger).

I'm now poor, but I think I want a gel seat, maybe one slightly lower while I'm at it, and perhaps a different screen as this one doesn't seem to achieve much in the way of blocking wind, I think if I do nothing I'll be deaf in 6 months!!

4 hours ago, RedlineDrifter said:

I think it’s YR316 for yours bud emoji848.png

...and no I don’t have all these memorised before you ask!

a6b352a17abe7d8cb59cd9f05db7efdf.jpg

Just realised the wingmirror is bright silver tho!!

I think that's the same colour on all of them anyway...

Just realised the wingmirror is bright silver tho!!

I think that's the same colour on all of them anyway...

Sorry (beer brain last night), you are spot on.. standard silver colour on them all regardless of fairing colour combo

Can anyone identify this strange noise while the ignition is on?

It sounds like the bike is making little quiet "vroom vroooom" noises to itself.

Hmmmm... that is strange!

I’ll defer to others in the group to comment here, as I’m not really too sure.
My VFR is currently mothballed so I can’t even get in to give the beast a try.
Biking weather returns this week coming so I’m hoping to get out for a blast. If I do I’ll video mine and we can compare. Mine is non-DCT tho, not sure if that’ll make any difference to “ignition on / pre-starting” whirring

Long n short tho; does she start ok?
Tick over ok?
Run ok?

If it’s yes, yes, yes to all that then I would be surprised if the whirring is indicative of being an issue.

Archived