Fuel Pump Gets Power But Doesn’t Prime

• Member Contributer

My 03 6th gen had been sitting for several months so I decided to pump and clean out the tank really good. I took the fuel pump assembly and tip over kill switch out and cleaned out the tank really good. Then  it sat disassembled for several weeks since I had to order some new rubber internal parts that broke when I took everything apart.

I’ve got it all back together and the engine turns over just fine but won’t start. I can’t get the pump to prime (No whirring noise). I get the relay click when I turn the key. I’ve had the wiring harness recall but still checked the left side blue connector and don’t see any corrosion. I pulled off the wire connector to the fuel pump and am getting 14-16 volts for about two seconds after I turn the key and the it drops to zero like it should.

Any ideas? If the blue connector was corroded or relay was bad I’m thinking I wouldn’t be getting the 15 volts at the fuel pump harness.

I saw on an older fuel pump issue post where someone mentioned getting the fuel pump “unstuck” and the person with the problem replied back that it fixed the issue but there were no details on how one goes about getting the fuel pump “unstuck”. Can anyone give me some guidance on what I should try in that regard? Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Unplug the connector from the Fuel Pump, make up some leads and power it directly from the battery, Positive to where the Brown wire goes and Negative to where the Green wire goes. Does the Fuel Pump run?

You might just have poor/spread contacts at the 2 wire Fuel Pump connector. ALSO make sure the Green wire is properly connected to Ground (solid electrical connection back to the Negative Battery Terminal).

Your voltage readings concern me a bit "14 to 16v" at the Fuel Pump connector for 2 seconds. You should be seeing just battery voltage, something like under 13v. You may have a crappy meter!

• Member Contributer
On 6/15/2020 at 6:55 PM, Grum said:

Unplug the connector from the Fuel Pump, make up some leads and power it directly from the battery, Positive to where the Brown wire goes and Negative to where the Green wire goes. Does the Fuel Pump run?

You might just have poor/spread contacts at the 2 wire Fuel Pump connector. ALSO make sure the Green wire is properly connected to Ground (solid electrical connection back to the Negative Battery Terminal).

Your voltage readings concern me a bit "14 to 16v" at the Fuel Pump connector for 2 seconds. You should be seeing just battery voltage, something like under 13v. You may have a crappy meter!

Grum, thanks for your reply. I was incorrect about the voltage. I checked again and it was 12-12.5 volts at the fuel pump connection for about 2 seconds when the key is turned.

I attached leads direct from the battery straight to the fuel pump and got no priming whir. Any further ideas?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, VFRBulldawg said:

Grum, thanks for your reply. I was incorrect about the voltage. I checked again and it was 12-12.5 volts at the fuel pump connection for about 2 seconds when the key is turned.

I attached leads direct from the battery straight to the fuel pump and got no priming whir. Any further ideas?

Sadly you appear to have a dead fuel pump that needs replacing.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Grum said:

Sadly you appear to have a dead fuel pump that needs replacing.

Thanks. That’s what I thought. Any recommendations on an aftermarket brand? I’m not seeing just the OEM fuel pump available and the entire OEM fuel pump assembly is $375 on bike bandit.

• Member Contributer
On 6/16/2020 at 8:29 AM, VFRBulldawg said:

My 03 6th gen had been sitting for several months so I decided to pump and clean out the tank really good. I took the fuel pump assembly and tip over kill switch out and cleaned out the tank really good. Then  it sat disassembled for several weeks since I had to order some new rubber internal parts that broke when I took everything apart.

M8 from what you've stated above. Is there any chance you may have disconnected or dislodged the internal Fuel Pump electrical connector accidentally?

Is it safe to assume there was no issue with the Fuel Pump prior to you cleaning out the tank?

Might be worth a very close internal look at the pump before buying a new one!

If you probe the Fuel Pump connector terminals under the tank with an Ohmeter and get an open circuit reading that could be an indication the internal pump connector is dislodged (or or course an open circuit motor)

image.jpeg

Ive recently found the same problem on my 2003 VTEC ,went through all the connectors checking cleaning them all , testing the relays as per a youtube clip ,then finally onto the fuel pump itself on the tank .

Initially tried a direct 12v to it and no joy , so reluctantly drained the tank and removed the complete unit and tried the 12v direct again , still not working .

well to cut the story short you do not have to replace the whole unit , you can just replace the pump unit on its own at around £30 from ebay its a Kemso type .

• Member Contributer
On 6/18/2020 at 1:33 AM, Grum said:

M8 from what you've stated above. Is there any chance you may have disconnected or dislodged the internal Fuel Pump electrical connector accidentally?

Is it safe to assume there was no issue with the Fuel Pump prior to you cleaning out the tank?

Might be worth a very close internal look at the pump before buying a new one!

If you probe the Fuel Pump connector terminals under the tank with an Ohmeter and get an open circuit reading that could be an indication the internal pump connector is dislodged (or or course an open circuit motor)

image.jpeg

There was no issue with the fuel pump prior to disassembly and cleaning of the tank. It did sit dry for a few months. Not sure if that seized it up. I will check the internal connections with an ohmmeter before I buy a new one. That’s a prudent idea.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, VFRBulldawg said:

There was no issue with the fuel pump prior to disassembly and cleaning of the tank. It did sit dry for a few months. Not sure if that seized it up. I will check the internal connections with an ohmmeter before I buy a new one. That’s a prudent idea.

Just remember, if you do find the Pump is Faulty you ONLY need a new pump Not the whole assembly which is the case if you went OEM.

Kemso seems to be a good quality replacement pump fairly cheap and made in Japan, they make the Honda equivalent.

Good Luck.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Just as a final follow up, replacing the fuel pump has fixed all issues. The bike is running great again. Thanks everyone for the help.

Archived