Rear Tail/Brake light

Shooter

My right rear tail light is out. I replaced the bulb, but same issue. The brake light works, but tail light does not. Any thoughts on where to start. The left rear tail light and all other lights are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Shooter said:

My right rear tail light is out. I replaced the bulb, but same issue. The brake light works, but tail light does not. Any thoughts on where to start. The left rear tail light and all other lights are fine.

Make sure it is exactly the same type as the left one. It should be a dual element combination 21w/5w, the 21w is for Brakes and the 5w is the Tail light.

Check the bulb is installed correctly and you have 12v on the Brown/Blue wire with Ignition to On.

Make sure it is exactly the same type as the left one. It should be a dual element combination 21w/5w, the 21w is for Brakes and the 5w is the Tail light.
Check the bulb is installed correctly and you have 12v on the Brown/Blue wire with Ignition to On.

f47177384ce4aef6d55fe791d8ce98c1.jpg
This is what I bought. I read that a 4473 was a replacement. It shows 25/5.9W.

I meant 7443.

• Member Contributer

I don't have a 5th gen but a simple test. Why not just try your new lamp in the Good left side and confirm it's operation. If all is ok then there should be no problems fitting it to the right side.

If it still doesn't work then you'll need to check the voltage as mentioned.

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Shooter said:

I meant 7443.

Think those globes should be fine. They can be inserted in either direction as they are not keyed, simply just plug it in. Just be sure that the globe wire type of contact is not bent to one side, nicely aligned length ways. The outer contacts are the Brake 21watt, the inner two contacts are the Tail Light 5watt.

As there are four globe connections the back of the socket should have two connections joined together for Ground being a Green wire, then you'll have a Green/Yellow wire for the Brake and a Brown/Blue wire for the Tail.

Picture of my old 6gen tail light stock. Seem to be the same as 5gen.

image.jpeg

Think those globes should be fine. They can be inserted in either direction as they are not keyed, simply just plug it in. Just be sure that the globe wire type of contact is not bent to one side, nicely aligned length ways. The outer contacts are the Brake 21watt, the inner two contacts are the Tail Light 5watt.

As there are four globe connections the back of the socket should have two connections joined together for Ground being a Green wire, then you'll have a Green/Yellow wire for the Tail and a Brown/Blue wire for the Brake.
Picture of my old 6gen tail light stock. Seem to be the same as 5gen.

image.thumb.jpeg.634c774ca1b398ed2932441401d9d034.jpeg

So, all bulbs work in left side taillight, but not on the right side. Brake lights work but taillights do not. Any thoughts on what to do now?

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Shooter said:

So, all bulbs work in left side taillight, but not on the right side. Brake lights work but taillights do not. Any thoughts on what to do now?

Sorry for the above, I did get my wires crossed for a moment!! It's the Brown/Blue wire for the TAIL light (not the Green/Yellow).

Do you have a multimeter? You need to check the two Inner connections of the socket one will have the Brown/Blue wire the other must be tied to the Green Ground wire.

Make sure these connection are good. If you don't see 12v on the Brown/Blue wire with Ignition to On, and you can't find why, then an option is to make a jumper wire from the Left Brown/Blue wire to the Right wire near to the socket.

Perhaps this Drawing will show things a bit better. You can see the same Brown/Blue wire feeds your Licence Plate Light, is that working?

image.png

Sorry for the above, I did get my wires crossed for a moment!! It's the Brown/Blue wire for the TAIL light (not the Green/Yellow).
Do you have a multimeter? You need to check the two Inner connections of the socket one will have the Brown/Blue wire the other must be tied to the Green Ground wire.
Make sure these connection are good. If you don't see 12v on the Brown/Blue wire with Ignition to On, and you can't find why, then an option is to make a jumper wire from the Left Brown/Blue wire to the Right wire near to the socket.
Perhaps this Drawing will show things a bit better. You can see the same Brown/Blue wire feeds your Licence Plate Light, is that working?

image.thumb.png.138b057330050dddd57948b22ab9f885.png

Thanks for the help. After further investigation. It appears to be the socket that is faulty. I have a new one on order. I appreciate the assistance!

Archived