Stator

Manny78

I know this topic has been talked about over and over again but rather than filtering through those many conversations I figured I would ask a quick direct question.  5th gen OEM stator is no longer available.  What is the best aftermarket alternative?

• Member Contributer

Either a secondhand one or find a winder near you & have the old one re-wound. If you are really keen it is possible to diy it. 

I've not had much luck with rewound stators. I bought a non OEM stator from a company in the UK. IMO it's a better stator than OEM and substantially cheaper than what Honda wants for a new one!

https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=vfr800&PN=RR882%2dRegulator%2dRectifier%2dCBR600%2dVFR800%2dCB900F%2dCBR900RR%2ehtml#SID=439

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Manny78 said:

I know this topic has been talked about over and over again but rather than filtering through those many conversations I figured I would ask a quick direct question.  5th gen OEM stator is no longer available.  What is the best aftermarket alternative?

Have yours rewound by Custom Rewind. 

• Member Contributer

Do  you feel lucky?  Order one from China (as most of them are made there and sold by North American resellers...), buy two and have one as a spare.  I've heard the Electrex guys are good though.

• Member Contributer
On 6/10/2020 at 4:49 PM, Cogswell said:

Have yours rewound by Custom Rewind. 

Anybody talk to Custom Rewind in the last few months?

• Member Contributer
On 6/10/2020 at 7:32 PM, joneill said:

I just installed one yesterday from Rick's Motorsports Electrics  for $145. 

(https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/New-OEM-Style-Honda-Stator-21_121

The site says they are for 1998 and 1999. Why are 2000 and 2001 excluded?

edit: interweb search brings up a fimiliar name:  https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/l/aftermarket-stators

• Member Contributer
On 6/12/2020 at 3:05 PM, mello dude said:

Anybody talk to Custom Rewind in the last few months?

Is there suspicion they may have ceased operation?  Was it Randy that had MS?  That's a cruel disease.  I never met him but did speak to him.   I have much admiration for his grit and determination.  He does good work. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

Is there suspicion they may have ceased operation?  Was it Randy that had MS?  That's a cruel disease.  I never met him but did speak to him.   I have much admiration for his grit and determination.  He does good work. 

They have never had a great online presence, and I've heard that calling directly can be hit or miss in the past few years. I thought there was an "apprentice" taking over, but I haven't needed to deal with them for a number of years after getting mine rewired 5 or 6 years ago. If they are still in business, that's the way to go IMO.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

The site says they are for 1998 and 1999. Why are 2000 and 2001 excluded?

edit: interweb search brings up a fimiliar name:  https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/l/aftermarket-stators

The website shows a model for the 2000, 2001 VFR.  Use the part selector feature for year, make and model.  The Website also claims that they can do a custom rewind of your existing stator.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 8:32 PM, joneill said:

I just installed one yesterday from Rick's Motorsports Electrics  for $145. 

(https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/New-OEM-Style-Honda-Stator-21_121

Rick's are the best, they have been doing stator rewinds for decades now and have a excellent reputation.  I installed a stator and Reg/Rec are from Rick's about 6 or 7 years ago and have been trouble free since.

• Member Contributer

I installed one of Ricks about a year ago. I posted some photos and there were some (a) comments made about the fact that there were zip ties used to hold the wire bundle together and the person commenting stated that they would never put something in their engine that had zip ties on it. It made me somewhat concerned, but my engine has not exploded so far. I assume Ricks knows what they are doing, but it was a valid concern.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm?   I would have called Ricks and asked them to explain how a, I assume plastic, zip tie is supposed to withstand the engine heat.  With no OEM availability the only person I would buy a stator or Reg/Rec from would be Rick's.  I live about a hour drive from his shop so if I did have a problem I could drive it right up there.  He really does make quality  stuff though, been in business for few decades and has a pretty good reputation over a extended period.

• Member Contributer

Zipties are often made of NYLON 66 which has a melting point of about 500F - 260C. How hot does that stator get?

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
7 hours ago, BobG said:

Shipped my stator to Custom Rewind yesterday.  It will cost $135.  Gary said, he should have it rewound within 3 days.

Let us know how it goes. Curious, are you getting longer leads so you can wire directly to the R/R connector (Furukawa QLW-250) for an upgrade?

(Skipping the OEM stator/RR connector)

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, BobG said:

Shipped my stator to Custom Rewind yesterday.  It will cost $135.  Gary said, he should have it rewound within 3 days.

Please update us on how this goes.  C.R. has been a good resource. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

Please update us on how this goes.  C.R. has been a good resource. 

+1

Archived