Hoping to be new to the community

JafsSK

Hi everyone,

My name's Jonny and I'm from the central area of the great white north. I don't have a vfr yet but hopefully will in the near future. They have always been a bike that has caught my eye. 

I've had a couple bikes when I was younger, 03 gsxr 600(got into quite a bit of trouble) and a 09 drz400sm(got into trouble but in different ways). Sold the gsxr and got the drz then had problems with our friend city protectors, sold that and haven't had a bike for a few years now. 

I've been looking in my area for used vfr's and have found a 2008 vfr with 42k km(about 25k miles) that's comes with hard cases and a few other accessories like a new set of front and tires and a couple other things but not modded preformance wise. 

I've been reading up about these bikes for a few weeks and it's making me want one even more. Are there anything I should be looking at while test riding the bike? I know I'll ask about recalls and maintenance history. But what else should I be looking for?

Tia for any help you guys can give me.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

By 25,000 miles on my 2008, I had replaced the stator (working but very crispy), chain, and the VTEC valves were very tight.  It runs beautifully though.  I have not suffered any of the electrical problems reported by some owners, however I have had each connector on the bike apart and treated them with Oxgard.  The stator was re-done by custom rewind in Alabama, the chain I did myself with a DID ZVMX 530 and I also did my own valve adjustment.   If the injectors have not been serviced and there is not a fuel tuner installed you may find some rough running and stumbling in the 4,000 rpm area, however the latter took care of all those issues.  Both are easily done with basic hand tools. 

Other than that I've run the snot out of it and it always begs for more.  Does the bike you're looking at have ABS?  If so the calipers will be gold rather than black and there will be a remote rear shock preload adjuster knob attached to the right rear set.  For me that was a plus. 

If you buy it post up some photos.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

By 25,000 miles on my 2008, I had replaced the stator (working but very crispy), chain, and the VTEC valves were very tight.  It runs beautifully though.  I have not suffered any of the electrical problems reported by some owners, however I have had each connector on the bike apart and treated them with Oxgard.  The stator was re-done by custom rewind in Alabama, the chain I did myself with a DID ZVMX 530 and I also did my own valve adjustment.   If the injectors have not been serviced and there is not a fuel tuner installed you may find some rough running and stumbling in the 4,000 rpm area, however the latter took care of all those issues.  Both are easily done with basic hand tools. 

Other than that I've run the snot out of it and it always begs for more.  Does the bike you're looking at have ABS?  If so the calipers will be gold rather than black and there will be a remote rear shock preload adjuster knob attached to the right rear set.  For me that was a plus. 

If you buy it post up some photos.

Cheers

It seems like the bike has been really taken really good care of. 

It does have abs, here's a screenshot of the ad listing. 

One of the big selling point for me is the complete Honda hard luggage that is color matched and then km's/miles seem decently low

Screenshot_20200609_232740_com.ebay.kijiji.ca.jpg

Screenshot_20200609_232746_com.ebay.kijiji.ca.jpg

• Member Contributer

Odd that he would have needed a new clutch pack at that mileage.

May see if he would have the new tires installed or use that to haggle the price a bit as it will be an immediate expense for you

Everything else is just the stats on a VFR, so hard to say what shape the bike is in... do pics look good?  Has it ever gone down?  Clear title / no liens?  etc

Hard bags are a huge plus and as noted above the VFR is a great all-around bike!  I've had my 02 for 8 years now and I don't see myself ever parting with it.

They are only asking $4000 cdn but I'm sure I could get them down to $3500 maybe $3000 if I'm really lucky. I just looked at the ad and all the pics are off the right side off the bike so they might be hiding something. They are about 2 hrs away from me which I'd be perfectly fine driving 4 hrs to just check it out. As for the clutch pack and such I'd think just maintenance they thought had to be done(shrug).

Here are a couple of pictures of the bike. It was late when I got home from work so pictures of the bike didn't cross my mind.

The big problem is getting the girlfriends ok to get it lol

Screenshot_20200610_124816_com.ebay.kijiji.ca.jpg

Screenshot_20200610_124812_com.ebay.kijiji.ca.jpg

• Member Contributer

I say go for it.   If you're asking the GF for the ok to buy,  God help you once you've signed the contract.   In that case my advice would be to go buy several bikes and fill the garage while you still can!  :wink:

Lol yeah I wish I could but I've already taken over half her garage with my project car haha. I know she would not be ok with the idea but she would get over it eventually lol

• Member Contributer

She'll get over it..... the old saying better to ask forgiveness than ask for permission.  Do it.  That bike seems very reasonable priced to me for us Canucks, if you get it to 3500 all the better.  If it were here, I'd have it.  You may need tars, and definitely I'd just go ahead and get a mofset regulator right off the hop.  You could spend a Gnote and still sell it for near 5.  If the GF pouts, have her call me and I'll tell her how smart you were.

1 hour ago, raYzerman said:

She'll get over it..... the old saying better to ask forgiveness than ask for permission.  Do it.  That bike seems very reasonable priced to me for us Canucks, if you get it to 3500 all the better.  If it were here, I'd have it.  You may need tars, and definitely I'd just go ahead and get a mofset regulator right off the hop.  You could spend a Gnote and still sell it for near 5.  If the GF pouts, have her call me and I'll tell her how smart you were.

It's the only 6th gen for sale in sk right now and I have a feeling it'll be the only one for a while. With the accessories and parts changed it's around the same price as bikes without the accessories from what Kijiji shows me for the rest of Canada. 

I was thinking if I did have to sell it I'd be able to make money back on it too. 

I can just see my girlfriend's face already when I roll up home on the bike(sleeping at my parents for awhile lol).

My brother has offered to go with me to look at it this weekend, his no help in trying to talk me out of it lol

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, JafsSK said:

I can just see my girlfriend's face already when I roll up home on the bike(sleeping at my parents for awhile lol).

It's the only 6th gen for sale - women are everywhere - you can always find a new g.f. !!  :laugh:

1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

It's the only 6th gen for sale - women are everywhere - you can always find a new g.f. !!  :laugh:

Hahaha true true. But this girl has put with my car addiction so she is definitely a keeper. 

I'll just hide it at my brother's place haha

• Member Contributer

One woman I dated briefly came to the house for the 1st time and upon seeing the bikes said "those will have to go".  The thought that went through my mind immediately afterward was "no, YOU will have to go!"  And she did - all for the best. :ph34r:

• Member Contributer
19 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

One woman I dated briefly came to the house for the 1st time and upon seeing the bikes said "those will have to go".  The thought that went through my mind immediately afterward was "no, YOU will have to go!"  And she did - all for the best. :ph34r:

Perfect response.:fing02:

Going to be looking at the bike Saturday morning. Anything I should be on the look out for on a 2008? 

All maintenance and work has been done at Honda, no recalls done(but I haven't heard of any recalls for 06+ vfr's). 

Guess I'll have to take a bunch of pics and some videos

Archived