Loss of power, stall problem

2012 VFR 1200 DCT owner here. I'll be riding along and suddenly will notice the bike shifts to 6th gear only going around 35-40 MPH, it suddenly starts to lose power and chug hard. It will not allow me to override and downshift, I then stop the bike and shut it off quickly and then I get a smell of clutch. I can restart it right away and then it seems fine, but at that point I am nervous so I drive it in manual mode. Oil is good, it has just started doing it recently. I bought it brand new, it has 5K on it and I have changed the oil faithfully and always replace both filters when doing so.

Has anyone else ever experienced this or heard of what is causing it... solutions, etc.?

• Member Contributer

I'd try to do the DCT reset procedure.  Search on these forums and you'll find the method.  

How is the battery?  Juice problems can cause some crazy issues.  

Did your bike have the driveshaft recall done? 

Thanks for the info  -

I'd try to do the DCT reset procedure.  Search on these forums and you'll find the method.  

How is the battery?  Juice problems can cause some crazy issues.  

Did your bike have the driveshaft recall done? 

I've had others mention the battery as well, it is only 2 years old but maybe I need to take a look there. I am taking it in shortly for the driveshaft recall and I'll take a look for the reset. Odd thing is it runs just fine when I ride it in the manual mode, the same mechanisms are shifting it there but there has been no issue when in that manual mode.

Thanks for the input, I will investigate further and find the reset.

Archived