Mileage Let's Rock'em 'til the wheels fall off...

• Member Contributer

I think that I'm the slacker in the group. 

I put about 10k miles on my '99 over 4 years and sold it with 27.5k on it to make room for a '98 w/3,772 miles on it. 

The '98 now has 25,750 on it after nearly 9 years. 

And the '00 I picked up last year w/3k miles on it has only 4.7k as I'm still getting it sorted...on the cheap. 

I do have one Subaru with over 200k on it. I love that car!

• Member Contributer
52 minutes ago, bmart said:

I do have one Subaru with over 200k on it. I love that car!

My car is a 2003 Honda Element, which I bought new 19 years ago. This past winter at about 159,000 miles all the gauges went dark, couldn't drive it at night. My shop found a used instrument cluster, which fixed the problem.

But I got the donor car's odometer also! Now it only has 133,000 miles. I'm kinda pissed.

image.thumb.jpeg.ee5586dd7d600c75850e9a8480c4ca53.jpeg

edit: I like this photo because it's my 2003 Honda towing my 2003 Honda.  

😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

If we're talking cars, my 2018 Miata I bought new just over four years ago has over 55,000 miles on it now.  I know that isn't impressive for the average car or truck, but a Miata?  Hardly anyone daily drives a Miata year-round, especially in NE Ohio.  So yeah, I kind of proud of it.  😄 

• Member Contributer

At 10 years, 225,000km, the airco pump broke on my Renault Megane.  A grand to have a new one put in (putain!!!), I will let that one slide.

Will ride the car (+bike trailer) to Spain and back next month.

No AIRCO but ARKO:

Alle

Ramen

Kunnen

Open ! :laugh:

(I survived the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's w/o airco)

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, TimC said:

If we're talking cars, my 2018 Miata I bought new just over four years ago has over 55,000 miles on it now.  I know that isn't impressive for the average car or truck, but a Miata?  Hardly anyone daily drives a Miata year-round, especially in NE Ohio.  So yeah, I kind of proud of it.  😄 

Well my wife’s Miata can beat you on the mileage but unfortunately loses dismally on the time it took to accrue them. 2001 NB with 110,000 KM on the clock. No major issues yet. Although from the rotten egg smell we occasionally get when we park it in the garage I think it needs a new catalytic converter. 

D462575E-42E0-4B22-9156-FE4D22987F0A.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2020 at 12:02 AM, Grum said:

Nice. Its interesting to me that some of the 8gens including mine are seeing some high distance numbers, yet haven't heard of a single CCT replacement and I think they are the same part number as 6gens. Just curious!!

I had one stick at 23k mi, changed both at that point

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, vfrgiving said:

I see Honda gave a full 7 segment display for the first digit in the hundred thousands position.  Does that mean max 8th gen odometer reading is 999,999?

You got it vfrgiving.

The worrying thing as stated in the Owners Manual under the heading of "Instruments, Controls, & Other Features" it states - Odometer "The display locks at 999,999 when the readout exceeds 999,999" .......Buggar, so once I've done a million kilometers I'll need a new instrument panel, bike will be only just run in at that stage!:wacko:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I'm closing in on the max for a 5th gen, which is 199,999 as that first digit is only a two segment for the 1.  My understanding is that will probably roll back to 0 as other digital Honda odometers from the era like the F4i roll over.

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I have noticed a couple instances where someone has posted photos of their odometer on their 6th gens, where there are 6 digits on display. IDK why, but my 6th gen only shows 5 digits. after 99,999, whether it is set on miles of KM, it rolls back to zero. I wonder if this is just Canadian bikes that stops at 99,999 then rolls. 

Anyway. No phot for this but presently, my odo reads 27,211 KM. Rolled over twice so really this is 227,211 km.  That's 172,250 miles.

It still runs great. Matter of fact, I am thinking I will ride this bike from the West Coast Canada, to Missouri to collect Reg from VFRW, and off to New Orleans and maybe even down to Key West for Kilime pie, then home again. I might ride up to the east coast and meet up with the Rolling Barrage Ride, and ride across Canada back to the west coast again. Then, I think I am done with these long rides. I am 68 years old no0w and starting to feel the affects of these long rides.

• Member Contributer
On 8/6/2023 at 10:50 PM, vfrgiving said:

It will be a little while before you can do that again.

I'm into the final 10K before I get a brand new gen 5.

IMG_20230806_084443_(1080_x_1448_pixel).thumb.jpg.597663016144a71cd809d85a3a4f103f.jpg

What major maintenance has been done, beyond regular servicing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VFR78 said:

What major maintenance has been done, beyond regular servicing.

my time with it has seen a few repair items, but nothing I would consider exceptional.

The biggest was failure of the mild steel Honda header pipes which I replaced with stainless.  I did fork seals at 163,000 and recently a new stator.  I put a new MOSFET regulator in while changing out the burned out stator.  Minor electrical glitches fixed by cleaning related connectors.  Brake system soft parts were refreshed prior

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

End of the road!! Nah, sell it as a new bike!  It'll happily go round the clock another time, fingers crossed.

Proof of what a well cared for VFR can do - Great achievement. Crack open a beer and celebrate:beer::wheel: