Mileage Let's Rock'em 'til the wheels fall off...

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

At your service!  

I got mine from Dimple in the U.S.  (below).  They have a different shoulder than OEM - I was skeptical at first,  but they work fine, no leaks or backing out.  The one compatible with the 8th gen,  presuming it's  the same as for G6 is pre-drilled for a safety wire,  which I decided to begin using after getting the appropriate pliers last year. You'll need a new crush washer at each service (they'll be roached and not reusable)  so order plenty, or go on Amazon or ebay if you don't have a local supplier.  I've used both aluminum and copper washers,  either work fine.  I got my copper ones on  Amazon in a bag of 50.  These things are crazy strong.  They really hold on to things.  Worth considering are the oil filter magnets,  shaped like hockey pucks.  The VFR gets 3 staggered from bottom to top - all my other vehicles 2. They're not terribly expensive.  I had a magnetic plug in the CRV, Camry and 4Runner, but there was never anything on them, so after I ran out of crush washers I went back to the OEM plug and just use the filter magnets on the cars.  It's the bikes that produce the swarf that these things catch.  All the ones I've seen them in do it. I suspect it's from the gear box - that's the major difference I can think of between the bike and car engines.  IDK why manufacturers don't put them in bikes - car gearboxes, either auto or manual and differentials seem to typically  have them. 

https://drainplugmagnets.com

Wow! Thank you Sir for your comprehensive reply Cogswell, you are the best! 

Shall seriously look into this, might actually look at the Oil Filter magnets for both car and VFR.

Cheers.:beer:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Grum said:

Wow! Thank you Sir for your comprehensive reply Cogswell, you are the best! 

Shall seriously look into this, might actually look at the Oil Filter magnets for both car and VFR.

Cheers.:beer:

A pleasure, sir!  If you decide you would like the Dimple magnets, they have kind of a quirky website.  It appears they only take Paypal, but by clicking that and then on "Pay without a Paypal account" you can then enter a CC # and choose international shipping. That's not mentioned on the website - only by going to checkout can it be found. 

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

A pleasure, sir!  If you decide you would like the Dimple magnets, they have kind of a quirky website.  It appears they only take Paypal, but by clicking that and then on "Pay without a Paypal account" you can then enter a CC # and choose international shipping. That's not mentioned on the website - only by going to checkout can it be found. 

Cheers.

Thanks again Cogs.:fing02:

• Member Contributer

Thanks Cogswell! 👋

I got one of these couple years ago for my Ninja 250 race-bikehttps://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-Racing-Magnetic-1-5-13MM/dp/B00AWER052

Recently switched to this one. The alloy body sucks away less magnetism and bigger magnet catches more fragments. https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Drain-Plug-Sump-Bolt(12x1-5,Red)/dp/B07BQPGV9G/ref=psdc_15726101_t3_B01N96K2OL

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

4 wheels move the body

2 wheels move th soul

:laugh:

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, RC79NC001 said:

88888 Mi Today....

IMG_a4090.jpg

What, if any, significant maintenance have you done over those miles? Mine is at 65,000 km and I was wondering what preemptive maintenance I should consider, to avoid moving to a new bike.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, RC79NC001 said:

88888 Mi Today....

IMG_a4090.jpg

That's impressive - I don't drive my car many more miles per year than that. 

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, RC79NC001 said:

88888 Mi Today....

IMG_a4090.jpg

Oh dear, sad to see your odometer has latched into full test mode, this could be a costly repair requiring a new instrument panel.....................Ah but wait are you up to 143,051k's wow, incredible! All 8's is a service trigger letting you know its due for it's first oil change, she's only just run in! :fing02:

Well done RC79....Magic set of numbers. Any issues with the bike up to now? Gotta love the 8gen.

Cheers.:beer::wheel:

The most significant unscheduled maintenance has been the valve adjust at

60000 mi. Otherwise Synthetic oil every 4000 mi and a new oil filter every 8000 mi.

Suspension front and rear upgraded at 18000 mi and refreshed at 60000.

This is a wonderful motorcycle....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Grum said:

Oh dear, sad to see your odometer has latched into full test mode, this could be a costly repair requiring a new instrument panel.....................Ah but wait are you up to 143,051k's wow, incredible! All 8's is a service trigger letting you know its due for it's first oil change, she's only just run in! :fing02:

Well done RC79....Magic set of numbers. Any issues with the bike up to now? Gotta love the 8gen.

Cheers.:beer::wheel:

20210927_160204_copy_2880x2156.thumb.jpg.9af08259be6f1f10e18fd48e0044e116.jpg

the 888888 triggered the speedo cable to break shortly after......

IMG-20211008-WA0006.thumb.jpeg.1aad8cddc859a51c9fdce024ac11c2e7.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

2021 Talley

VF500F2 ~12,500km
VTR1000-SP2 ~5,000km
Gilera 150 Sport ~4,000km
Gilera 150 Turismo ~750km
VFR750F ~500km
MV Agusta Ipotesi ~400km

Thanks to  my 40hr/week job that comes with ~40 days paid leave per year eh? :laugh: Cos at night I need my sleep....

• Member Contributer

I seem to be floating around 7k miles per year of late, and 2021 had me "up" at 8097...so that's something. Over 3400 of those were at track days on the R6s, and only 2300 were on the VFRs. 

My annual peak was waaaaay back in 1999 (thanks, Prince!) with 21,520 bike miles...most of them on the 748, even though I owned an FJ. 

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

E76DCA59-CD14-4D80-AC9E-49658274FBAA.thumb.jpeg.abf78bc010bea9e2d3f1ed3eff5dd5c3.jpegFinally clocked up 40,000km 🐌 didn’t think it would take this long, hopefully the next 40,000km won’t take as long.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...