Mileage Let's Rock'em 'til the wheels fall off...

• 2 weeks later...

Gents I am just about to make a decision on a new vfr, i had one in the late 90,s and loved the build quality. so after numerous other bikes Blackbird,Cbr,Harley,Gs,s i have decided i want an all weather bike  as i am fed up polishing and not riding the bike so to speak. Clearly you guys do a lot of miles is my choice the right choice as i thought abou the kawasaki s1000sx but the v4 sound wins as i can still remember enjoying the sound over the blackbird,blade and cbr.  your views are welcome this bike will be used in the rain and shine most of the year round what do you guys and girls reckon.

budgie

• Like 1

I think the VFR is the whole package. Put an aftermarket slip on exhaust ( I'm using a Delkevic ) ,tweak the suspension ( Jamie Daugherty

to name one option), tweak the OEM seat ( Sargent rebuilt mine ) and you have a unique motorcycle that can do it all. Plus you won't

see yourself coming and going everyday.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

The Kwaka seems to get a lot of positive reviews, but I wonder about the handling. They have put “Special” Bridgestone tyres on it to lighten the steering, why?

My VFR has about 50,000 km on it and it is still a cracker. Wouldn’t know what else to buy.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Budgie said:

Gents I am just about to make a decision on a new vfr, i had one in the late 90,s and loved the build quality. so after numerous other bikes Blackbird,Cbr,Harley,Gs,s i have decided i want an all weather bike  as i am fed up polishing and not riding the bike so to speak. Clearly you guys do a lot of miles is my choice the right choice as i thought abou the kawasaki s1000sx but the v4 sound wins as i can still remember enjoying the sound over the blackbird,blade and cbr.  your views are welcome this bike will be used in the rain and shine most of the year round what do you guys and girls reckon.

budgie

This is a good read. Check out the mileage on his 1990 VFR.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php%3Fid%3D51135&ved=2ahUKEwjL7LiH-pHqAhVJFTQIHaC-DAkQFjABegQIBhAV&usg=AOvVaw3sQvPho3oybkg97oAbYSP3&cshid=1592710010318

I've done 120k miles on my '99 in all weather, I'd trust the 8th gen to do the same. 

• Like 3

It's great to see all generations showing their mileage and sharing the story.

I like the Ninja 1000....here's a link to a recent discussion about the new one. It doesn't have a centerstand or room for one.

Also, one of the many commentators cites riding a VFR ( not sure what generation ) with 300+ mi ? !

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2020/06/2020-kawasaki-ninja-1000sx-md-ride-review-first-thoughts/best 

I think the VFR is the best combination and the total package.

IMG_a3550.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 9:15 AM, Budgie said:

budgie

I can't speak for all generations of the VFR, but my 6th gen offers decent weather protection, even with the stock windshield.  I can duck down and put my knees in tight to the tank and avoid some rain, at least for a short burst.  But riding through a steady rain you're going to get wet.  This obviously isn't a full-blown tourer, but it's decent.  Same goes for colder weather.  I only wish I had heated grips, but I never got around to adding them.

On 6/20/2020 at 3:06 PM, RC79NC001 said:

I think the VFR is the whole package. Put an aftermarket slip on exhaust ( I'm using a Delkevic ) ,tweak the suspension ( Jamie Daugherty to name one option), tweak the OEM seat ( Sargent rebuilt mine ) and you have a unique motorcycle that can do it all. Plus you won't see yourself coming and going everyday.

Agree.  I don't have an aftermarket exhaust, but Jamie rebuilt a rear shock with a stiffer spring for my weight, and one of the best mods on my bike is the Sargent seat.  It has lasted years, but probably needs to be redone at this point.  But one of the best things about the VFR in my opinion is that you don't see them everyday.  I like having a bike that's a little rare where I live.  Plus, anytime you go into a shop and start talking to people, when you say you ride a VFR they'll invariably nod and say, "Nice bike."  That's pretty cool.

As for mileage, it's great to see so many 8th gens with some decent miles already.  I don't have a photo, but my 2004 is nearing 96,000 miles.  I'm seriously hoping to see 100k on it before the end of the year.  I didn't ride much from 2016 to 2018, averaging just 1,500 miles per year, otherwise I'd have hit six figures already.  But I'm fairly certain this will be my last season with my VFR, which has been my only bike since August 2006.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

21,208 km may seem quite low to most. However, the odometer, on the 6th gen at leas., only has room for 5 digits.  It reached 99,999 km or miles, which ever you have it set at, then it rolls to zero and starts over again.  Add a 2 to the left side of mine. Yes. It has rolled twice. 221,208 km. This thing, regardless of some pretty severe abuse, runs like a timex watch. I have replaced the stator twice, and had a hell of a time trying to find out what was causing some problems with starting in first gear a while back.  That turned out to be a severely won clutch.  After the clutch rebuild, the thing ran almost like new again.  The Honda tech who worked on it told me I should easily roll that odometer once again. I crashed this thing on some god forsaken road in Baja in October 2018. We just picked it up off the road, well mountain goat trail really, then I just rode it away.IMGP0732.thumb.JPG.be36d3374af7219fe75115db8e4bf719.JPGIMGP0730.thumb.JPG.e2376874140ae26b2a81b78cb2fc4386.JPGIMGP0731.thumb.JPG.c38e15b2a0c4eea545d5eca20f911e96.JPG

• Like 7

• Member Contributer

Bought in 2014 with 10,700 miles on her. Empty trailered to Virgina, bought from a pole barn, hauled to T-Mac where we found a rodent nest in the air box. (A pic was taken but I cannot find it). Too many upgrades to list but simply love this machine. 

IMG_0895.JPG

• Like 2