Minor rant - Honda part names

TimC

This was frustrating, but it's also kind of amusing.  If you have the factory manual for your VFR, you've probably scratched your head at some of the names Honda assigns to its parts.  But this one takes the cake IMO.

The rubber footpeg inserts on my VFR are getting pretty worn.  They're to the point where most of the front edge of the rubber is worn away, and pretty soon my boots will be resting on metal, not rubber.  So this week I grabbed the manual and tried to find the part I'd need to order.  I hate being at the parts counter asking the clerk to look stuff up.  Customers should know exactly what they need before they arrive.  Otherwise you're wasting everyone's time.  But I could not find this part in the manual's index nor appendix.  I looked for footpeg, peg, rider footpeg, front footpeg, etc.  Nothing.  So I went to Partzilla's website to look up the parts fiche.  Even that took a couple tries to find the right page.  And when I did, what does Honda call a footpeg?  It's a "Step."  :rolleyes:  Unbelievable.

Come on, Honda.  Please do better than this.  At least the replacement rubber inserts are cheap and they look easy to replace - not always a given with Honda.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, TimC said:

This was frustrating, but it's also kind of amusing.  If you have the factory manual for your VFR, you've probably scratched your head at some of the names Honda assigns to its parts.  But this one takes the cake IMO.

The rubber footpeg inserts on my VFR are getting pretty worn.  They're to the point where most of the front edge of the rubber is worn away, and pretty soon my boots will be resting on metal, not rubber.  So this week I grabbed the manual and tried to find the part I'd need to order.  I hate being at the parts counter asking the clerk to look stuff up.  Customers should know exactly what they need before they arrive.  Otherwise you're wasting everyone's time.  But I could not find this part in the manual's index nor appendix.  I looked for footpeg, peg, rider footpeg, front footpeg, etc.  Nothing.  So I went to Partzilla's website to look up the parts fiche.  Even that took a couple tries to find the right page.  And when I did, what does Honda call a footpeg?  It's a "Step."  :rolleyes:  Unbelievable.

Come on, Honda.  Please do better than this.  At least the replacement rubber inserts are cheap and they look easy to replace - not always a given with Honda.

Haha. Good one, I know where you're coming from. If my memory is correct on the 8gen, the rubber cushions mounted at the rear of the pillion foot pegs for the OEM case to slot onto are called "Steps" go figure!:wacko:

• Member Contributer

I use Partzilla all the time, and you're right.....

Sometimes it's the Honda mystery part name game!

Where the effe is that part? Sometimes it drives you crazy.

:beer:

• Member Contributer

But wait, there's more!   When diassembling my 6th gen over the winter I noted reference to the upper and lower "cushion".  The lower "cushion" is the cast aluminum bracket that bolts to the back of the motor that the shock  mounts to.  And someone decided that's a "cushion"??  The upper "cushion" is the U shaped bracket mount for the shock.  Secondly,  on the 6th gen parts fiche the water pump is found under the category "Water Pump".  Seems reasonable.   So logically when I was looking in the parts fiche for the same for my 5th gen I looked in the same category, "Water Pump".  Nothing.  WTF???  To find the 5th gen water pump you have to look under "Left  Crankcase Cover".  How silly of me to think that the water pump would actually be found under "Water Pump"!!  Water Pump for the 5th gen shows what "Water Pipe" does for 6th gen.  :wacko:   It's enough to give you a headache. 

• Member Contributer

Ha ha, you must be new to parts catalogues...... if you think Honda is weird with part names, look up some of the same stuff for Kawi, Yamaha and Suzi....... it's cheap entertainment, LOL, like having a collection of comic books.

• Member Contributer
On 6/7/2020 at 1:10 AM, Cogswell said:

But wait, there's more!   When diassembling my 6th gen over the winter I noted reference to the upper and lower "cushion".  The lower "cushion" is the cast aluminum bracket that bolts to the back of the motor that the shock  mounts to.  And someone decided that's a "cushion"??  The upper "cushion" is the U shaped bracket mount for the shock.  Secondly,  on the 6th gen parts fiche the water pump is found under the category "Water Pump".  Seems reasonable.   So logically when I was looking in the parts fiche for the same for my 5th gen I looked in the same category, "Water Pump".  Nothing.  WTF???  To find the 5th gen water pump you have to look under "Left  Crankcase Cover".  How silly of me to think that the water pump would actually be found under "Water Pump"!!  Water Pump for the 5th gen shows what "Water Pipe" does for 6th gen.  :wacko:   It's enough to give you a headache. 

I was looking up the water pump for 5th Gen like you and couldn't find it. I thought at first it was yet another 5th Gen part dropping off the availability list. Finally found it, and was glad to see it's not been dropped. 

Try finding the little plastic nut that fits over the sprocket bolt to drive the speedo sensor. I had to search this forum for the part# and look that up to see that it's still available.

• Member Contributer

The classic is to go to Partzilla looking for an item for your Honda RVT, but then clicking through to a VRT parts diagram instead.

Not that I know anyone who has done anything that dumb.  

Archived