Saddlebag Liners

Calculon

• Member Contributer

I recently purchased a set of saddlebag liners for my bike.  I use a set of tote bags on my Versys which work out really well but stumbled upon these aftermarket bags from Besteem for the Interceptor.

besteembags1.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&

besteembags2.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&

besteembags3.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&

Not much to say other than they fit the cases perfectly.  They don't hold their shape very well when empty but that is good as I can flatten them in the case if I have something else I need to carry or want to stash my helmet at a stop.  They have a velcro sealing top opening with a zippered pocket in the top flap as well as an external zippered pocket on the outside of the bag.  Honestly I don't really care for the red VFR 800 stitching on the side and top, I like the idea but being a graphic designer I'm not fond of the serif font, I think it cheapens the look.  They also have two sewn in handles for carrying as well as a shoulder strap for each.  One odd note, they had a very strong chemical odor when I first opened them up.  I let them air out for over a week and it helped a great deal but there was still this slight odor.  I'm sure it will dissipate over time.  I found mine on Amazon but can't locate the item there anymore though you can go to the Besteem site.  https://www.bestemusa.com/VFR800-Interceptor_c_1228.html

• Member Contributer

I bought this exact set last year. Great bags and so far have held up to my abuse and are relatively inexpensive too! Certainly a great buy for anyone who has OEM hard bags. 

Somewhere in the garage, lost for many years now, is a set of bag liners for my VFR's OEM hard bags.  It would be really nice to find those someday so I don't have to dismount the hard bags when I get to a hotel for the night.

• Member Contributer

I have a set of the Bestem bags.  The bags have been fine, however a zipper on each self distrusted - the cheap metal on the slide simply failed so it cannot be closed.  Not a huge deal,  but disappointing.  I figured the stitching on the material would be the failure point if anything went bad.  Even with broken  zippers they still make life easier when touring. 

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Was looking into getting a pair of these and found this thread.  Sad to hear that the zippers are failing.  I'm sure a good tailor could fix them but probably at the same cost or close to getting new bags.  I found them for sale on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-Honda-VFR-800-Interceptor-02-09-Saddlebag-liner-Set-Side-Case-Inner-Bag-/111873978590

Not sure if I will get them yet.  Maybe later after address all the things I need to fix on my 6th gen.

• Member Contributer
36 minutes ago, Jelorian said:

Was looking into getting a pair of these and found this thread.  Sad to hear that the zippers are failing.  I'm sure a good tailor could fix them but probably at the same cost or close to getting new bags.  I found them for sale on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-Honda-VFR-800-Interceptor-02-09-Saddlebag-liner-Set-Side-Case-Inner-Bag-/111873978590

Not sure if I will get them yet.  Maybe later after address all the things I need to fix on my 6th gen.

In addition to the Bestem bags, I also have a set of the Honda brand bags. While IMHO the Honda branded has a better feel and look to be better quality, it's not the end of the world that 2 of the 4 top zippers on the Bestems grenaded on me.  They still do the job - just be careful that nothing falls out on the way to / from the motel room. And it doesn't mean that if you bought them it would happen on yours.   Maybe the more significant difference is that the Bestem bags are larger and hold more volume, more completely filling up the side case vs the significantly smaller Honda bags.  With the Bestems if you have loose clothing that takes up space and weighs little they can be max'd out.  But be careful not to pack them full of too many heavy things - disc lock, tools, tire kit, extra beer, etc.  The Bestems are a good deal, and I'm not sure the Honda bags are even available any longer.  I highly recommend having a set of these as your side cases will be much more useful and organized than without them.  Once you have them you'll wonder how you ever got along without 'em.  :fing02:

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, Cogswell said:

In addition to the Bestem bags, I also have a set of the Honda brand bags. While IMHO the Honda branded has a better feel and look to be better quality, it's not the end of the world that 2 of the 4 top zippers on the Bestems grenaded on me.  They still do the job - just be careful that nothing falls out on the way to / from the motel room. And it doesn't mean that if you bought them it would happen on yours.   Maybe the more significant difference is that the Bestem bags are larger and hold more volume, more completely filling up the side case vs the significantly smaller Honda bags.  With the Bestems if you have loose clothing that takes up space and weighs little they can be max'd out.  But be careful not to pack them full of too many heavy things - disc lock, tools, tire kit, extra beer, etc.  The Bestems are a good deal, and I'm not sure the Honda bags are even available any longer.  I highly recommend having a set of these as your side cases will be much more useful and organized than without them.  Once you have them you'll wonder how you ever got along without 'em.  :fing02:

Thanks for the tips.  I am definitely going to pick them up at some point.  I know they would make things much easier than having to lug the hard cases around.  Between those 2 bags and a tank bag, I should be good to go on a weekend trip with the wife.

Archived