Doh! Snapped one of the exhaust bolts

Jelorian

• Member Contributer

Note to self. When working on 19 year old bikes, even one that is fairly clean, spray the crap out of the fastener with penetrating oil.  I was trying to loosen one of exhaust clamping bolts (sorry I don't know the real term) so I could twist the exhaust out of the way and eventually get my rear wheel off.  Snapped right off.  I should have known better.  I figured since it is already snapped that I would throw some vise grips on there and after spraying generously with PB Blaster, just keep twisting it through.  Nope.  Not working and now the threads are mangled.  Hahahah.  Still seems to be nice and tight with the other bolt so I think I'll just leave it for now.

However, I wouldn't mind suggestions on getting it out later and fixing it properly.

Some good news.  She has new Pirelli Diablos and new EBC HH's on the fronts.  I used the rear stand and block of wood + jack under the heads to get the front off the ground.  The local shop that mounted my new tires only had 2 pairs of the brake pads so I had to order online and will do the rears later.

Still need to change brake and clutch fluid, flush coolant, and then do an oil change.  Also I still need to do suspension and update the electrical.   Then she'll be somewhat ready to go. 

Cheers!

20200604_162454_snapped.jpg

• Member Contributer

Angle grinder is your best friend here and replace the clamp with a new stainless steel version. Go slow so you don’t cut through the pipe.

• Member Contributer
On 6/5/2020 at 1:58 AM, Marooncobra said:

Angle grinder is your best friend here and replace the clamp with a new stainless steel version. Go slow so you don’t cut through the pipe.

Never thought of doing something that drastic but it may come to that.  What is the worst that could happen? I put a hole in the pipe and then have a valid excuse to get a full system.  Hahhahaha.

Archived