Cam chain tensioner movement

boOZZIE

• Member Contributer

After noticing some cct noise i  think I have a problem with the rear cct.

I have put a small flat head screwdriver in and tried rotating the plunger clockwise with barely any movement. I then tried c/clockwise with a little mment and back clockwise  with about a corner turn.

Is the cct shot or does it need some more movement to free it up?

Front cct got about 3 full clockwise turns and moves freely

• Member Contributer

That seems odd.  If it's stuck or jammed that could explain the malfunction (noise).  Hard to say what to do with it, but I would be inclined to somehow remove it to at least inspect its function before relying on it.  If it's done maybe 70k or more, it might be worth just replacing them pre-emptively.  Let us know how it turns out. 

• Member Contributer

That is strange! Turning the tensioner shaft clockwise should retract the tensioner shaft. At least it's the rear one acting strange, easy to replace.

If you can't retract the plunger, be super careful in removing the CCT, you could easily catch the plunger cap against the engine casing and have the cap fall into the engine.

Possible chance the internal plunger spring has broken. Throw it away and fit a brand new one.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Grum said:

That is strange! Turning the tensioner shaft clockwise should retract the tensioner shaft. At least it's the rear one acting strange, easy to replace.

If you can't retract the plunger, be super careful in removing the CCT, you could easily catch the plunger cap against the engine casing and have the cap fall into the engine.

Possible chance the internal plunger spring has broken. Throw it away and fit a brand new one.

3 hours ago, Cogswell said:

That seems odd.  If it's stuck or jammed that could explain the malfunction (noise).  Hard to say what to do with it, but I would be inclined to somehow remove it to at least inspect its function before relying on it.  If it's done maybe 70k or more, it might be worth just replacing them pre-emptively.  Let us know how it turns out. 

Thanks for your knowledgeable reply guys,

yep I thought I mite need a new 1 after 55k klms

I'll put a new 1 in and see what's up with the oldie.

So you lock it in position with the "key" and its not suppose to stay in position with it out, right?

I'm just thinking maybe give the key a turn?

Cheers

• Member Contributer
15 minutes ago, boOZZIE said:

So you lock it in position with the "key" and its not suppose to stay in position with it out, right?

I'm just thinking maybe give the key a turn?

Yep. With the key inserted rotate fully clockwise to fully retract the plunger, push the key into the slots to lock it. Then unbolt and withdraw the CCT, and do it gently so the cap doesn't catch on the engine casing. Retracting the plunger minimises the chances of catching the cap on the engine casing!

Have you got the Service Manual? You can download from this site if you haven't.

• Member Contributer
34 minutes ago, Grum said:

Yep. With the key inserted rotate fully clockwise to fully retract the plunger, push the key into the slots to lock it. Then unbolt and withdraw the CCT, and do it gently so the cap doesn't catch on the engine casing. Retracting the plunger minimises the chances of catching the cap on the engine casing!

Have you got the Service Manual? You can download from this site if you haven't.

yep got the manual mate,

Im just thinking if I could maybe get some movement/unlock it with the key as apposed to just a screwdriver?

🍻

• Member Contributer
48 minutes ago, boOZZIE said:

yep got the manual mate,

Im just thinking if I could maybe get some movement/unlock it with the key as apposed to just a screwdriver?

🍻

The key supplied with the new unit is barely long enough to reach the plunger screw, it's fiddly to use, best just to turn bit by bit pushing it into the slots to lock it as you go. You can easily screw the plunger with a small screwdriver but you still need to lock it from springing back to the extended state.

• Member Contributer

So I was going to see if I could get some movement out of the rear cct plunger with the engine running.  

STOP DONT DO IT

Engine oil does flow quite freely through this. Doh

• Member Contributer
53 minutes ago, boOZZIE said:

So I was going to see if I could get some movement out of the rear cct plunger with the engine running.  

STOP DONT DO IT

Engine oil does flow quite freely through this. Doh

Bad idea! Oil under pressure!

M8 if you can't retract the plunger just remove the thing. Suggest just evenly undo both bolts and remove the CCT as squarely as possible to its bolted down position and be conscious of the steel cap not catching on the engine casing. Fit a new item with a new steel gasket, job done. Unless the cap has obvious damage, just swap it over to your new CCT. Don't forget the end bolt and sealing washer or you'll be dripping oil again.

• Member Contributer

Haha, I wish a drip was all I got

Ordered a new one so I'll need to wait a week or so for delivery 

Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So after ordering the cct lifter (5 June), H HQ had a ransomware attack which delayed my part order and then according to the H dealer that I ordered the part from the parcel has been lost. Part re-order delivery expected week of 22 June.

In the meantime I took the cct off to inspect and wouldn't you know it, I have movement 🤬

So I put it back in a checked movement again and all good. The plunger screws in & out and no clatter or rattles while running. 

Anyways ill keep an ear out and I'll have a spare if need be

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, boOZZIE said:

So after ordering the cct lifter (5 June), H HQ had a ransomware attack which delayed my part order and then according to the H dealer that I ordered the part from the parcel has been lost. Part re-order delivery expected week of 22 June.

In the meantime I took the cct off to inspect and wouldn't you know it, I have movement 🤬

So I put it back in a checked movement again and all good. The plunger screws in & out and no clatter or rattles while running. 

Anyways ill keep an ear out and I'll have a spare if need be

Bad news about your lost new CCT.

Wonder if you had some form of crap in the plunger lead screw of the original CCT. Don't be concerned you have a new one on order, it will get used!

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Yeah not sure what was making it stick as it still wasn't moving after it spewed oil out when I turned it over and had cover screw off. 

Anyways I'll see how it holds up.

Cheers 

Archived