Quick Throttle mod - R6 inner throttle tube

Resina

• Member Contributer

Hi Everyone

I would like to share that it's almost “pretty simple" to do the R6 inner throttle tube mod on our VFRs, leaving stock looks but making life for our wrist much easier, I'm loving it!!!!!!!

I went to my mechanic fearing damaging throttle cables or not being able to properly adjust the cables, but I guess many can do this themselves.

However it's not as simple as on the CBR, as per below link, as milling the actual R6 inner throttle tube is needed to fit our VFR "shell" - I apologize for not knowing the proper name.
https://www.1000rr.net/threads/r6-1-6-turn-throttle-tube-install-lots-of-pics.70442/

So here you can see both inner throttle tubes, being the white one the R6

1.thumb.jpg.bc518780862c5c217e0acb22ec267515.jpg

I've started to dremell the VFR "shell", as per CBR forum, however I believe that is actually useless on our VFR, as with stock R6 inner throttle tube it's impossible to bolt the "shell" back again.

2.thumb.jpg.2955eabe57f46479168427bca9308a8b.jpg

After trying to figure out why, we've reached conclusion that R6 inner throttle tube would have to be milled, as per below pic. Just put one against each other, and draw VFR "bottom" diameter with a marker

3.thumb.jpg.7bf3892e62425fafb482bc95d0dbf78b.jpg

Afterwards installing was a breeze=)

I must highlight while installing, the whole piece which secures the brake and throttle etc which is on top of the right front suspension was disassembled, so to give more room to work the cables

At the end, after everything being bolted back in place, the cable was too stretched therefore throttle not working properly, however after some fine tuning here, it’s PERFECTTTTT 😃 it  really is!!!!! 😍😈😍😈

4.thumb.jpg.d85d4707495e61ff00d421ee7952acf1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but aren't you losing the main benefit of going to an R6 throttle tube by milling it down to match the cam profile of the original VFR item? Surely, if the diameters are the same, it's not really a quick action throttle any more? 

• Member Contributer

Hi The Limey

Please mind below picture, you will notice the part where the cables work was left untouched, meaning the cables only touch the inner throttle tube where you see highlighted in green. It was the bottom side which had to be milled, however throttle cables do not touch there.

One will notice immediately the difference, full throttle is now comfortable to the wrist, for as long as one wants to 😈

I hope I was able to clarify 😌

910131696_Screenshot2020-06-04at14_13_13.thumb.png.7f9970c4e62cd8b0efb1be088c2466e5.png

just adding below pic, where one can easily see the size difference on the working side of both inner throttle tubes, the reason why VFR is 1/9 and R6 1/6 😃

1338948467_Screenshot2020-06-04at14_23.45copy.thumb.jpg.51e57dbdd506211ac0d3edd579070604.jpg

• Member Contributer

Ah, now I see. Thanks for the clarification. I think I might give this a try for myself. 

I bought a Motion Pro Throttle Tube #01-0094 works awesome.  It was only 9 bucks shipped. Mine fit with no problems on my 02.

• Member Contributer

Hi Squirrelbrains

I confess I got used to it nearly instantaneously, and I have no issues at all ridding smooth.

Just sharing my experience, which doesn't mean others have to also love it like I do 😃

Please note this is stock Yamaha R6 inner throttle tube, 1/6 turn, stock VFR is 1/9.

I guess that could be the case if one buys an aftermarket quick throttle specifically design for track / race only, which are much more aggressive having 1/4 turn, as per example Domino KRR03 on the link below

https://www.motorcyclepartsstore.co.uk/product/domino-krr03-krr-03-quick-action-throttle-assy-track-race-bikes/

That and keeping stock look, were the reasons why I went with R6 instead 😉 just adding my two cents, as for me this was so far my second favorite mod, being Jamie's DMr Performance front and rear suspensions upgrade the number one 😃

• Member Contributer

Your reference to 1/6 turn, 1/9 turn, 1/4 turn is slightly confusing since a 1/9 turn is 40°, 1/6 turn is 60", and 1/4 turn is 90°.

So figuring that, the 1/9 turn would be the quickest, with 1/4 turn the slowest.  I think your numbers are not quite correct.

A quarter-turn throttle, should be much shorter twist than a stock VFR twist.

And I was wondering how the trimmed throttle tube still fit in the housing since it is still much larger in diameter at the high point.

• Member Contributer

Nice work... I installed Lockhart Phillips Quick Throttle but I machined my own barrel out of Delrin... now its WFO at a flick of the wrist...

1464360262_25f4110ef2.jpg
1463836757_202fd8a6a3_o.jpg

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Your reference to 1/6 turn, 1/9 turn, 1/4 turn is slightly confusing since a 1/9 turn is 40°, 1/6 turn is 60", and 1/4 turn is 90°.

So figuring that, the 1/9 turn would be the quickest, with 1/4 turn the slowest.  I think your numbers are not quite correct.

A quarter-turn throttle, should be much shorter twist than a stock VFR twist.

And I was wondering how the trimmed throttle tube still fit in the housing since it is still much larger in diameter at the high point.

There must be clearance on that side.  Interesting.

Some HRC-type bikes, like the RC45, IIRC, used the throttle tube from the NSR250, so I purchased one on Yahoo! Japan Auctions years ago.  It has a larger housing and requires the use of a separate kill switch and starter button, so I haven't used it (and I don't have a race bike anyway!)

It looks to me like the R6 tube locates the cable nipples further away from the center of the throttle tube, thus introducing more throw to the twisting action.  I'm not sure the length of the cable support would have as much effect as moving that cable anchor 5mm out or whatever.  I should disassemble and compare my NSR250 throttle to an OEM VFR throttle and post some measurements...

Ciao,

JZH

• 5 months later...

Archived