New Potential Owner; could use some input

2 hours ago, Grum said:

Just curious. Some things to check!

Did you get the original exhaust, pillion seat, grab handles and covers, owners booklet, and make sure the tool kit is with it, there should also be a wire helmet securing strap as well?

Also - Very Important! If the PO had the seat height setup in the lower position then the black seat raising collars and bolts would have been removed, make sure these are supplied with the bike.

Congratulations on the purchase, enjoy the ride, they are a great bike. Welcome to VFRD:wheel::fing02:

So I met up with the Owner today, and I'm a little disappointed:(

I uploaded some additional pictures of my first inspection of the bike. 

Tires are in great condition - they look like the original dunlops that came with it, but they are in good condition with no perceivable flat spots. 

Bike still has the original tool kit, seat has been lowered (I may keep it that way since I'm 5'8) 

Bike has 656 miles, with no perceivable "questionable sounds" or mechanical problems. 

My issue is with the physical inspection. I asked the owner about the scratches (see attached). He claims that he thinks they happened during shipment overseas. Now, I could totally believe this - I've had a vehicle shipped overseas and they scratched it too. BUTTTTTT. . .wouldn't you as the owner KNOW about it? Especially when there's a gigantic gouge (I feel like I may be over exaggerating here but yeah) in the casing? He did send me some pictures of when the bike was originally shipped (also attached), but I can't see if the scratches are there or not. 

I'll be honest I'm a little nervous. Not because of the overall state of the bike, but more because the owner seems either oblivious to the scratches (which by the way are located on BOTH sides), or is trying to hide something. I don't know. I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, and it is after all a good bike. . .one of my dream bikes in fact. But I don't want to have my head in the stars and be blinded by what may be clear problems. 

What are your folks thoughts?

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

• Member Contributer

I would say 'trust your gut'.  If you have a funny feeling, then it's probably telling you something.  One thing about shipment - does he mean shipment from Hamamatsu to the Honolulu dealer, or did he buy it from a mainland dealer or private party and have it shipped?  If the former, there's no way the dealer is going to show "new" inventory looking like that - at least without a substantial discount.  More likely they would have claimed insurance on the freight damage, ordered in new parts and make the bike like new before putting it on their floor.   He should at least clarify if that's how it showed up at the dealer (and which dealer did he buy it from - there must be only one on Oahu). 

If you want a cosmetically perfect bike it's going to cost plenty for new clutch cover and plastic - go to Partzilla and price it out.  Add to that a new set of tires and you'll come up to the final tally of what it will cost to get it the way you may want it.   The one for sale locally here was in much nicer cosmetic condition than that, and despite having 6,000 miles (not much, really) had around $3,000 to $4,000 in accessories and they were asking just $900 more.  But, you're on an island and the selection of 8th gens is going to be slim pickings.  Only you know how badly you want it. 

2 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

I would say 'trust your gut'.  If you have a funny feeling, then it's probably telling you something.  One thing about shipment - does he mean shipment from Hamamatsu to the Honolulu dealer, or did he buy it from a mainland dealer or private party and have it shipped?  If the former, there's no way the dealer is going to show "new" inventory looking like that - at least without a substantial discount.  More likely they would have claimed insurance on the freight damage, ordered in new parts and make the bike like new before putting it on their floor.   He should at least clarify if that's how it showed up at the dealer (and which dealer did he buy it from - there must be only one on Oahu). 

If you want a cosmetically perfect bike it's going to cost plenty for new clutch cover and plastic - go to Partzilla and price it out.  Add to that a new set of tires and you'll come up to the final tally of what it will cost to get it the way you may want it.   The one for sale locally here was in much nicer condition than that, and despite having 6,000 miles (not much, really) had around $3,000 to $4,000 in accessories and they were asking just $900 more.  But, you're on an island and the selection of 8th gens is going to be slim pickings.  Only you know how badly you want it. 

The vehicle was shipped from California (Huntington Beach Honda). He thinks that the damage may have been there even prior to shipping, but I don't know what to believe anymore. 

I have taken a look at the photos he sent of it being shipped and it does look like the casing COULD have been damaged by that bar that is on the crate, but I will never know for sure. 

• Member Contributer

Wow, that's very disappointing I feel your pain! The scratches don't look like a typical fall over type of scratches and being similar both sides, they may have been caused by terrible tie down practices during transport. Why the owner would have accepted the bike like that is beyond me and as Cogswell mentioned, I can't imagine ANY dealership presenting a bike in that condition or that any shipping of the bike didn't have some form of damage insurance!

You certainly have a very good argument to knock down the price big time! If you're not happy with good compensation for the scratches - walk away from the deal.

Looks like the bike has been dropped at least once on each side probably from a stand still or very slowly moving. I don't think it has been compromised just a little rashed up. Just a matter of can you live with it. Could be why low milage and for the sale.

• Member Contributer

Then I guess the only other thing I might observe would be that if it showed up damaged from shipping, then he likely got an insurance settlement for it.  Presuming that, then he should be willing to pass that on to you and knock the cost of parts off the price.  If he didn't get a settlement then he's either an ignoramous or is B.S.'ing you.  He probably just F'd it up in his garage - he wouldn't be the first, and maybe just is trying to blow it off on the shipment thinking it will make it easier to sell.  If it's just cosmetic, then it's subjective.  It's going to get chips, dings and rash just from riding - they all do, so make your own judgement on that part 

One other thought - if it does look like it's been on its side, then I'd want to know that there are no broken tabs on the plastic.  If that turns out to be the case, then you will be buying some replacements or attempting to fix those yourself. 

• Member Contributer
34 minutes ago, TimTheTechie said:

So I met up with the Owner today, and I'm a little disappointed:(

I uploaded some additional pictures of my first inspection of the bike. 

Tires are in great condition - they look like the original dunlops that came with it, but they are in good condition with no perceivable flat spots. 

Bike still has the original tool kit, seat has been lowered (I may keep it that way since I'm 5'8) 

Bike has 656 miles, with no perceivable "questionable sounds" or mechanical problems. 

My issue is with the physical inspection. I asked the owner about the scratches (see attached). He claims that he thinks they happened during shipment overseas. Now, I could totally believe this - I've had a vehicle shipped overseas and they scratched it too. BUTTTTTT. . .wouldn't you as the owner KNOW about it? Especially when there's a gigantic gouge (I feel like I may be over exaggerating here but yeah) in the casing? He did send me some pictures of when the bike was originally shipped (also attached), but I can't see if the scratches are there or not. 

I'll be honest I'm a little nervous. Not because of the overall state of the bike, but more because the owner seems either oblivious to the scratches (which by the way are located on BOTH sides), or is trying to hide something. I don't know. I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, and it is after all a good bike. . .one of my dream bikes in fact. But I don't want to have my head in the stars and be blinded by what may be clear problems. 

What are your folks thoughts?

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Did he provide these photos to you?  This is THE bike he's showing you?  I looked at the C/L ad - the photo with someone perched on it if enlarged if you look closely you can see the rash on the clutch cover.  I do not see that or the missing fairing paint in the right side photo above.  That appears to be a Honda crate from photos I've seen - it would take a complete numbskull to have damaged the clutch cover like that while uncrating this.  From the location they must do this a lot, so that story, based on the fact pattern and these photos is looking dubious to me.   Just my $.02. 

• Member Contributer

A close look at your crating shots don't appear to show any damage. It looks like they have done the pre-delivery assembly and re-crated it for shipping. Interesting the crate seems much higher than what they come in, maybe smaller for the Australian version? Notice my bike has no straps attached, and the steel brace near the footpegs for support.

Attached my bike on arrival at the dealership, before pre-delivery assembly. Starting to think the scratches were owner induced!

image.jpeg

You all know the feeling. . .you get hyped up because the bike looks "perfect". . .then you go there and there are flaws or issues that come up that make you question everything lol. . .

I appreciate all the help and assistance folks. I'm going to sleep on it and give it some thought. 7,500 is a bit high so I may offer a figure lower due to the new found information.

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, TimTheTechie said:

You all know the feeling. . .you get hyped up because the bike looks "perfect". . .then you go there and there are flaws or issues that come up that make you question everything lol. . .

I appreciate all the help and assistance folks. I'm going to sleep on it and give it some thought. 7,500 is a bit high so I may offer a figure lower due to the new found information.

Certainly do both with cars and motorcycles. Photos can hide a million sins, you're only ever going to discover that when you see it in the flesh. Sounds like the owner was not forthcoming in mentioning all the scratches to you, I personally believe he's done the damage himself and spinning you a little bullshit.

Unless he accepts a price that you are happy with for fair compensation of the damage - WALK AWAY.

• Member Contributer

Too bad the one locally sold.  Probably could have paid them the $8,500 asking price, had it shipped to HI and still been way ahead vs this one and with no damage. It had every accessory Honda offered for it, plus a custom seat and Dam exhaust - it was really nice.  I almost bought it,  but  realized that the 2 I already have suit me just fine.   

20200302_161836.jpg

19 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

Too bad the one locally sold.  Probably could have paid them the $8,500 asking price, had it shipped to HI and still been way ahead vs this one and with no damage. It had every accessory Honda offered for it, plus a custom seat and Dam exhaust - it was really nice.  I almost bought it,  but  realized that the 2 I already have suit me just fine.   

20200302_161836.jpg

Damn I would have bought that thing in an instant! New tires too!

• Member Contributer

That was the first week of March just as the whole virus thing was getting going.  No idea how long it was there before it was sold. 

• Member Contributer
49 minutes ago, Grum said:

A close look at your crating shots don't appear to show any damage. It looks like they have done the pre-delivery assembly and re-crated it for shipping. Interesting the crate seems much higher than what they come in, maybe smaller for the Australian version? Notice my bike has no straps attached, and the steel brace near the footpegs for support.

Attached my bike on arrival at the dealership, before pre-delivery assembly. Starting to think the scratches were owner induced!

image.jpeg

Wouldn't that be thrilling to be there when your pride and joy is coming out of the crate!    :wub:  The only thing that would top that would be allowed in the factory to see it while it was being assembled.  I must say it looks unusual to have the mirrors pointing forward - like it has horns! 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

Wouldn't that be thrilling to be there when your pride and joy is coming out of the crate!    :wub:  The only thing that would top that would be allowed in the factory to see it while it was being assembled.  I must say it looks unusual to have the mirrors pointing forward - like it has horns! 

Hi Cogswell.

The Stealership kindly sent me a series of photos on arrival and once pre-delivery was completed, nice of them really. I see what you mean in its Toro the Bull attitude, great if you only have a narrow storage area. Seeing it built in the factory would be something. I recall seeing some 1200 assembly line stuff on YouTube.

Cheers.:beer:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Grum said:

Hi Cogswell.

The Stealership kindly sent me a series of photos on arrival and once pre-delivery was completed, nice of them really. I see what you mean in its Toro the Bull attitude, great if you only have a narrow storage area. Seeing it built in the factory would be something. I recall seeing some 1200 assembly line stuff on YouTube.

Cheers.:beer:

Wasn’t able to see the pre assembly of mine, but this was almost as exciting (and no scratches I might add)

AEB3B11C-6D31-4DCA-99DC-CC241917C31D.jpeg

60F58EC5-324B-4535-AB0A-F9DBC55B917A.jpeg

C3D62F59-C9AC-49F0-8537-7D80104A1399.jpeg

7 hours ago, Grum said:

Certainly do both with cars and motorcycles. Photos can hide a million sins, you're only ever going to discover that when you see it in the flesh.

I agree 100%.  Went to see a BMW K1200R at a local shop last summer, because the limited photos online looked okay.  When I got there I could see quickly the bike was rougher than I expected, despite the bike having only about 17,000 miles on it.  Yes, the bike was 12-13 yars old, but many bikes that age look better than this one did.  They were open to offers, but I declined.

As for this 8th gen, what makes me doubt the seller's claim is the raw edge of the right side fairing.  That looks like road/sliding damage to me.  I could be totally wrong, but either way, get a big discount or walk away.  The seller misrepresented the bike, and you're under no obligation to buy it when he didn't clearly state the bike's true condition.

After sleeping on it and speaking with a friend (who thinks that the reason the stock exhaust was replaced was that it may have been dropped and the exhaust took the brunt of the damage because the stock can is so large), I'm going to try to negotiate a 7,000 dollar price. 

I may go with https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rg-racing-engine-cover-set-honda-vfr800-2014-2015 to cover the scratched cover. 

Looks like it was dropped. The scratches to the crankcase cover and scratches on the fairing are from the bike being picked up off the pavement. Usually the bike slides a little on the fairing and engine case before the tires make contact with the ground as you try to pick it up.

• Member Contributer
24 minutes ago, 8200rpm said:

Looks like it was dropped. The scratches to the crankcase cover and scratches on the fairing are from the bike being picked up off the pavement. Usually the bike slides a little on the fairing and engine case before the tires make contact with the ground as you try to pick it up.

That makes good sense. So to even it up he also dropped it on the other side! Think the owner should have done some serious rider training.

Archived