New Potential Owner; could use some input

Aloha Everyone,

I'll get straight to the point. 

There's a 2015 VFR 800 DLX on my local Craigslist right now that is yelling at me to buy. 

image.png.e3b6ecaf24d86ce29983219bbed80943.png

600 miles?! It is practically new - and from what I've researched on the reliability of these machines, I think it would be a good long term investment. I just wanted to see what you folks thought of it. Do you think its a good deal?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks! 

• Member Contributer

You are asking VFR forum members there opinion of VFRs👍I bought the same model sight unseen 4 years ago, had never ridden one or even sat on one. Everything you have heard is true. No flashy electronics and not the fastest bike out there, but build quality and engine character is excellent. A really good all rounder at a reasonable price. You won’t be disappointed.

• Member Contributer

Check it hasn’t been dropped ect and maybe haggle a bit on price, personally I would still buy it if he won’t budge. There are also lots of really good deals on well maintained low mileage previous generation VFRs

• Member Contributer

Fully agree with Philois1984.

Great build quality, looks and reliability, excellent bang for your buck.

Probably the most reliable VFR Built. All the previous generation electrical issues have been solved. And with the Deluxe version you get the centre stand and heated grips.

Bought mine in 2014 and after 76,000kms its faultless. If you haven't had a VEE 4 before it's a great engine with soul and character. Would also make sure the owner has the original exhaust.

Sadly Honda are no longer making them. If the price is right and the bike has been well cared for (with only 600mile it should be like new) then go for it, if sports touring is your category. Ride it and see how it suits you.

As for a "good long term investment" I don't look at it that way. If you mean will the bike last a long time, with the right care? Absolutely.

Good Luck.

19 minutes ago, Philois1984 said:

You are asking VFR forum members there opinion of VFRs👍I bought the same model sight unseen 4 years ago, had never ridden one or even sat on one. Everything you have heard is true. No flashy electronics and not the fastest bike out there, but build quality and engine character is excellent. A really good all rounder at a reasonable price. You won’t be disappointed.

Oh no! I was asking for the opinion on the price more or less; my apologies for not making that clear. 

18 minutes ago, Philois1984 said:

Check it hasn’t been dropped ect and maybe haggle a bit on price, personally I would still buy it if he won’t budge. There are also lots of really good deals on well maintained low mileage previous generation VFRs

I checked on the mainland and there are a few good deals out there. But I live in Hawaii, and these things are super rare to find. 

• Member Contributer

If you were in the 48 states, I would guess to say you probably could shop around some. 

But Hawaii? No clue on that.....

• Member Contributer

If you want it, jump on it.  There could not have been many imported to the islands - maybe a handful.  For comparison, at my local dealer they had(ve) a '14 Deluxe with every Honda option including factory bags and topcase, Dam exhaust.  Has 6,000 miles on it.  They were asking $8,500.  Considering you're in HI, the asking price on that would seem in the ballpark.  Have a look at mainland prices on 8th gens and add shipping to HI - that should give you a good benchmark. 

That's a good price. If I was in the market for that specific model, I would buy it. Make sure it wasn't in any accidents or has any damage from being dropped.

You can probably talk him down to $7k flat. I would talk him down, because I'd rather have the white one.

5 hours ago, Calculon said:

Just curious, are you riding anything right now?

At the moment no. I had a Street Triple R, but I wanted to get into the sport touring scene so I bought an old FZ6 with side bags and a top case. That worked for a while, but I wanted to get something nice as a celebratory thing (I'll be making a very large life transition soon). The VFR has always been a bike I've loved checking out and when I saw this I knew I had to take a look at it

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, TimTheTechie said:

At the moment no. I had a Street Triple R, but I wanted to get into the sport touring scene so I bought an old FZ6 with side bags and a top case. That worked for a while, but I wanted to get something nice as a celebratory thing (I'll be making a very large life transition soon). The VFR has always been a bike I've loved checking out and when I saw this I knew I had to take a look at it

Sounds perfect to me then. I have a gen 6 and have had extensive seat time on a gen 8. Good luck on getting the bike. 

18 hours ago, TimTheTechie said:

Best advice I can chime in is to make sure the VFR you want is comfortable for you. Take it in a freeway, see how the air flow is for your height, knees, elbows feel, etc. Is the suspension soft/harsh for your roads and riding style?! DLX has some adjustment but it’s pretty minimal.

There is little adjustment with seat, the handle bars can be raised with Honda or custom risers, foot pegs can be lowered a tad, but overall it will be a sporty ride. If the bike fits you and you feel comfortable in a stock form, you are more likely to have it for a long time and enjoy the ST scene.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, TimTheTechie said:

So the owner is firm at 7,500 and I really don't want to pass this up. . .I mean, it's a Deluxe with only 600 miles?!?!

If you can afford it and insurance and maintenance I'm not sure what's stopping you?

I think VFR's are great bikes buuuuuutttt... I've been on Oahu and it's a beautiful place to ride and after returning my rented Bonneville I thought it was overkill.  From my experience, other than the interstate (yes folks, Oahu has an actual interstate) you really aren't legally allowed to travel much faster than 35-45 mph.  I'm only writing this because if budget is a problem you could get just as many thrills buying a Ninja 400 or a 650 (or similar bike).  They aren't nearly as refined as a VFR nor do they have that sublime V4 motor but they are cheaper to buy, insure and maintain.

The thing is if you really want the Interceptor I don't think you will find a better deal on Oahu anyway.  Good luck with your decision.

1 hour ago, Calculon said:

If you can afford it and insurance and maintenance I'm not sure what's stopping you?

I think VFR's are great bikes buuuuuutttt... I've been on Oahu and it's a beautiful place to ride and after returning my rented Bonneville I thought it was overkill.  From my experience, other than the interstate (yes folks, Oahu has an actual interstate) you really aren't legally allowed to travel much faster than 35-45 mph.  I'm only writing this because if budget is a problem you could get just as many thrills buying a Ninja 400 or a 650 (or similar bike).  They aren't nearly as refined as a VFR nor do they have that sublime V4 motor but they are cheaper to buy, insure and maintain.

The thing is if you really want the Interceptor I don't think you will find a better deal on Oahu anyway.  Good luck with your decision.

Spoke with him yesterday and it looks like we are gonna deal. I just want to take a look at it and test ride with a more mechanically inclined friend. Budget was never really an issue, I more or less just wanted to make sure I was getting a good deal by asking this group. I appreciate all the feedback:)

I've lived here for quite some time, and while the speed limit is low (55MPH) I haven't had too many issues with it. It's nice to ride around the island:)

That's Da Kine braddah!  To be able to settle down in a forever home on Oahu (or Maui or Kauai or Hawaii or you get the idea), I'd be happy to trade my VFR in for a Grom!  :D

While sellers shouldn't count on aftermarket parts to add to the value of a bike when selling it, if you're looking for one (or more) of those particular mods, it's nice to get with the bike when you're the buyer.  So for me, the TwoBrothers exhaust would be a nice incentive to buy this bike.  It's one less thing I'd have to pay full-price for when I start modding the bike to my liking.

BTW, welcome to VFRD, and please let us know how the purchase turns out!

3 hours ago, Samuelx said:

That's Da Kine braddah!  To be able to settle down in a forever home on Oahu (or Maui or Kauai or Hawaii or you get the idea), I'd be happy to trade my VFR in for a Grom!  😄

I strongly considered a Grom lol but H1 and H2 wouldn't be very kind to it 🙂

2 hours ago, TimC said:

While sellers shouldn't count on aftermarket parts to add to the value of a bike when selling it, if you're looking for one (or more) of those particular mods, it's nice to get with the bike when you're the buyer.  So for me, the TwoBrothers exhaust would be a nice incentive to buy this bike.  It's one less thing I'd have to pay full-price for when I start modding the bike to my liking.

BTW, welcome to VFRD, and please let us know how the purchase turns out!

Thanks for the welcome! 

The only major mods I was thinking about was getting the side bags and maybe a nicer looking windscreen. I may go after the quick shifter later on but for now it's just bags and maybe some smaller creature comforts.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, TimTheTechie said:

Thanks for the welcome! 

The only major mods I was thinking about was getting the side bags and maybe a nicer looking windscreen. I may go after the quick shifter later on but for now it's just bags and maybe some smaller creature comforts.

Just curious. Some things to check!

Did you get the original exhaust, pillion seat, grab handles and covers, owners booklet, and make sure the tool kit is with it, there should also be a wire helmet securing strap as well?

Also - Very Important! If the PO had the seat height setup in the lower position then the black seat raising collars and bolts would have been removed, make sure these are supplied with the bike.

Congratulations on the purchase, enjoy the ride, they are a great bike. Welcome to VFRD:wheel::fing02:

Archived