Question on VFR800, anno 2000 front wheel spacers questions - rotors touching fork

JPmoller

• Member Contributer

Guys,

This is driving me a but crazy - finally had time to give my VFR 800 from 2000 some love. New tires - so took the wheels off and brought to shop.

New tires returned and now I mount. However, It looks like the little spacer/ collar on the left side has shrunk?!

Siting on the bike, nose forward - then right side has the thicker spacer, which is ok. Left side has the small spacer - about 10mm - and space goes almost flush with the dust seal. The wheel axel has a thickness, making some distance between fork arm and the break rotors.. but not enough. The bolt heads in the rotor touches the fork arm?! Wheel does not look centered.. what mess did I create? Remember thinking to take before-photos, but 'nah, looks easy enough' - two days later I was I had before photos, so hope you can help? 

Here some photos.. maybe someone can shoot me photo of how much left side spacer on front wheel on a Gen5 sticks out? I definitely do not have as much visible as service manual shows of 'left collar'.

Called the shop suspecting he might have accidentally swapped my spacer with one he had from another wheel, but he says no.

Help appreciated so I can get cruising again and regain some sanity.

ServiceManualSpacers.jpg.ec61ed3a9b7509a7c54f11e67c8b0ebc.jpgMySpacer_RightInstalled.jpg.f5d32ece3ef74c07329c775b0316e35c.jpgMySpacer_LeftInstalledMounted.jpg.ac3e7e9cac36850861e081087c9f8354.jpgMySpacer_LeftInstalled.jpg.6bb5fbd43bfb69e61b868919bb3dc536.jpgMySpacer_LeftAxelView.jpg.964387c3299246d983ff65763a77ccb5.jpgMy_Spacers.jpg.ebda5c9d3237c2bf1435c7c87f8a8a8a.jpgServicveManualSpacer_LeftInstalled.jpg.922bf0fa8258616b27c1427d80ef0f61.jpg

• Member Contributer

A close look at the service manual pictures you seem to have the large collar on the wrong side. Notice the wheel bearing housing looks slightly higher on the left side it should have the smaller collar.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Grum - sure appreciate the prompt reply. I called him and he said 'no - we run a clean shop'. He had a small part but he said it was mm thick like a washer.

Hoping to get a photo from a GEN5 VFR left side front spacer installed - to actually see how far our spacer is sticking. Spacer plus the extra thickness on the axel left side is what gives the distance to the fork... so far not enough.

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, JPmoller said:

Thanks Grum - sure appreciate the prompt reply. I called him and he said 'no - we run a clean shop'. He had a small part but he said it was mm thick like a washer.

Hoping to get a photo from a GEN5 VFR left side front spacer installed - to actually see how far our spacer is sticking.

Check above think I gave you a bum steer initially, so deleted it. Think you have the collars on the wrong side.

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, Grum said:

A close look at the service manual pictures you seem to have the large collar on the wrong side. 

If sitting on the bike and right side front spacer is the bigger one, then I should be ok. Also, tried to swap to make sure i did not miss something, but then for sure right rotor touches fork.

• Member Contributer

Your collar position does not match the service manual pictures. If you are using the new tire direction of rotation as a reference for left and right they may have installed the tire the wrong way! 

So set your collars exactly as per the service manual pictures. Re try the wheel fitting even if the tire might be the wrong DOR.

• Member Contributer

I can't imagine the rotor bolt heads rubbing the fork leg unless the spacers are wrong or you or he installed the front axle wrong.

You have to tighten the axle nut completely before you tighten your pinch bolts. In fact you should tighten only the seated left side pinch bolts. Bounce the forks a few times then tighten the right side for proper axle alignment. 

The rotors and the rim may have rotational directions arrows on them too.

• Member Contributer

Waouv - you are absolutely right! I see the height difference now in the manual... and yes, I need to go back to my tire man... in reverse.

Thank you Grum - 1000 points your way once I find out how to 🙂

• Member Contributer
50 minutes ago, JPmoller said:

Waouv - you are absolutely right! I see the height difference now in the manual... and yes, I need to go back to my tire man... in reverse.

Thank you Grum - 1000 points your way once I find out how to 🙂

Excellent glad you have an answer. I had a rear fitted the wrong way once, bloody annoying. Now I never leave the tire place without doing my own check for correct DOR.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, VFR Capt.Bob said:

I can't imagine the rotor bolt heads rubbing the fork leg unless the spacers are wrong or you or he installed the front axle wrong.

You have to tighten the axle nut completely before you tighten your pinch bolts. In fact you should tighten only the seated left side pinch bolts. Bounce the forks a few times then tighten the right side for proper axle alignment. 

The rotors and the rim may have rotational directions arrows on them too.

Thanks Capt Bob - Grum found the 'bug' - tire was installed backwards and the wheel center on left side extrudes further than right side... did not notice at first.

• Member Contributer

Hate it when that happens. Especially when I change my own tires. Haha. I now highlight the direction arrow on the tire and rim with paint markers so I don't  screw it up. Happy riding.

13 minutes ago, JPmoller said:

Thanks Capt Bob - Grum found the 'bug' - tire was installed backwards and the wheel center on left side extrudes further than right side... did not notice at first.

• Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, JPmoller said:

When you return the front to have it re-mounted - while there I might point out to the shop that the directional arrow is cast in to the spoke(s) on the wheel.   That should never happen.  I had a tire shop do that on a car that had directional snow tires.   Hence why I finally knuckled down and got myself set up to change my own (bike) tires.  Not only saves money, but also if something like that happens I only have myself to blame!  He also should be willing to do it while you're there vs you making 2 additional trips.  If not I'd find a new shop. 

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

When you return the front to have it re-mounted - while there I might point out to the shop that the directional arrow is cast in to the spoke(s) on the wheel.   That should never happen.  I had a tire shop do that on a car that had directional snow tires.   Hence why I finally knuckled down and got myself set up to change my own (bike) tires.  Not only saves money, but also if something like that happens I only have myself to blame!  He also should be willing to do it while you're there vs you making 2 additional trips.  If not I'd find a new shop. 

Thanks Cogswell, for joining in. Well, doing it myself is the main reason I started working on the bike myself. Aside from some 'sadistic' fun - then, as you say, you only have yourself to thank for the mistakes. Reason I started was the local big bikeshop screwing up the linked brake system... while over charging for service. We live we learn, so why pay someone else to mess you up 🙂

Archived