Greetings from Ontario

• Member Contributer

Hi, I just picked up a black '98 VFR800 this week from a friend who recently retired. I've liked these bikes since the first 750 Interceptor and was happy to finally get such an iconic motorcycle. It is my first 4 stroke, I have been riding an RZ350 for the past 22 years. That bike is an ever evolving project so I am happy to have another one that I can just get on and go. 

• Member Contributer

That's what it looks like after riding it home, I haven't had a minute to do anything with it yet. 54 000 km on the clock. It'll need tires and probably a chain to pass a safety so I'll do those first. A buddy has some new M7RR's that he doesn't need and they are the right size, so that's covered. I was thinking of a 520 conversion too since I'm doing it. 

As far as location I am south west of Barrie.

Thanks for the welcomes!

062864FF-43B3-4A27-9356-FBB4878F355E.jpeg

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Dangeruss said:

That's what it looks like after riding it home, I haven't had a minute to do anything with it yet. 54 000 km on the clock. It'll need tires and probably a chain to pass a safety so I'll do those first. A buddy has some new M7RR's that he doesn't need and they are the right size, so that's covered. I was thinking of a 520 conversion too since I'm doing it. 

As far as location I am south west of Barrie.

Thanks for the welcomes!

062864FF-43B3-4A27-9356-FBB4878F355E.jpeg

The 5th gen looks great in black, very nice! Wow, a Kerker pipe too! 

Ok now, you gotta post pics of the RZ350.. 

:beer:

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. Although not the fastest color :tongue: it is the best generation. You obviously have great taste in mc's.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Dangeruss said:

Here it is last year at Mosport with its original owners TZ;

19AF1B2E-1430-46A6-8340-674DED406D74.jpeg

Oooo! That Yamaha look very cool. I love it.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I have been riding this for a bit now and finally got it fully licensed this week (took advantage of the COVID laxness and rode on a 10 day trip permit for 5 weeks 🤐). I had already changed tires and ordered a 520 kit, which should be here tomorrow after 4 weeks with USPS and another 2 weeks with Canada customs. I had to do the steering head bearings for the safety inspection so I went with the All Balls tapered rollers, changed fork oil and threw in some EBC HH pads while I was at it. I’ve got to say my favourite thing about it is the sound, it’s truly one of the most iconic sounding bikes ever made, and it will get me in trouble.

When I started the steering head bearings I was trying to decide how to support the front end and had an epiphany. I enjoyed telling my wife “I told you I’d use those again”

73C2B734-F285-471A-950A-C8CBF4DC50FC.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Is definitely getting a workout . . .  I had no idea Canadian inspections go as far as the steering head bearings.  

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Is definitely getting a workout . . .  I had no idea Canadian inspections go as far as the steering head bearings.  

It varies heavily based on the mechanics experience. Tires, brakes, lights, fork seals, no frame damage and no suspension slop are the main items. They’ll call you on a worn or neglected chain too. The bearings did have grooves at straight ahead position and felt a bit notchy, so they were due. No sludge came out of the forks which was a nice surprise, I was going to rebuild them this winter but might not bother now.

Archived