Jelorian's Racing Pics

Jelorian

• Member Contributer

Just wanted to share some pics I've taken over the years.   Almost exclusively US tracks but maybe I'll throw in some paddock stuff here and there.  As I go through my stuff I'll post a few every so often.  To start here are some pics from 2011 MotoGP @ Laguna Seca. 

Valentino Rossi chasing down Marco Simoncelli into Turn 4. 

2011_MotoGP_Laguna_KJ0T5352.jpg

The late Nicky Hayden chilling along the pit wall.

MU0X3362.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Two pics from Turn 9 aka Rainey Curve at the 2018 WSBK races at Laguna Seca

#1 Johnny Rea

2018_WSBK_Laguna_8W3E5191.JPG

#7 Chaz Davies

2018_WSBK_Laguna_8W3E9632cc.JPG

• Member Contributer

Well, you may have opened up a racing can of worms here, but fortunately your photography is far better than mine. Can you name the podium from Miller 2009?

World SBK 05.09 047.jpg

• Member Contributer

Just curious - how do you obtain the vantage points to get such high quality photos?

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

Well, you may have opened up a racing can of worms here, but fortunately your photography is far better than mine. Can you name the podium from Miller 2009?

If that can of worms means more pics of racing and everything else about m/c racing then that is a can I would love to open.

Podium for Miller Race 2? Spies, Fabrizio, Rea.  I was there as well.  What a great weekend and I loved these interview sessions after the races..  Michel is such a character and Ben is a real cool cat.

IMG_9754.JPG

4 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Just curious - how do you obtain the vantage points to get such high quality photos?

At Laguna Seca there are so many vantage points to get great shots from "behind the fence".  I've shot with and without media credentials there and I gotta honestly say, aside from getting on the grid before the race, you can take just as good shots without the creds.  The Laguna Seca shots in my first 2 posts on this thread were taken from regular spectator access locations.  Just gotta have long enough glass and take sharp enough shots that you can zoom and crop.

This is the last turn before the front straight at Miller Motorsports Park in 2009.  #91 Haslam, #41 Haga, #2 Hacking, #71 Kagayama, #84 Fabrizio

2009_WSBK_Miller_IMG_8138.JPG

Good ol Michael Laverty during the 600 Supersport Race

2009_WSBK_Miller_IMG_8936.JPG

Rear shot of #41 Noriyuki Haga

IMG_9358.JPG

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Jelorian said:

If that can of worms means more pics of racing and everything else about m/c racing then that is a can I would love to open.

Podium for Miller Race 2? Spies, Fabrizio, Rea.  I was there as well.  What a great weekend and I loved these interview sessions after the races..  Michel is such a character and Ben is a real cool cat.

Fabrizio's English wasn't bad but he refused to speak in anything but Italian, as I recall. Spies did the double but best part was seeing Nori, one of the coolest racers of all time.

I can see my role in this thread is to post photos of the worst possible quality, just for contrast. So sticking with WSBK, here's Laguna 2014:

IMG_1129.JPG

• Member Contributer
On 5/31/2020 at 8:32 AM, St. Stephen said:

Fabrizio's English wasn't bad but he refused to speak in anything but Italian, as I recall. Spies did the double but best part was seeing Nori, one of the coolest racers of all time.

I can see my role in this thread is to post photos of the worst possible quality, just for contrast. So sticking with WSBK, here's Laguna 2014:

Any contribution to this thread is welcome!  I love seeing all the different perspectives and angles.  Thanks for sharing as every little bit helps ease the lack of racing this season.  Thankfully MotoAmerica started but I haven't got a chance to watch any of those races yet.

Here is #58 Eugene Laverty coming out of Turn 11

2014_WSBK_Laguna_8W3E1767.JPG

One of the few circuits where you can get a shot where the riders are spaced out like a fan.  #50 Guintoli, #65 Rea, #34 Guigliano, #1 Sykes

2014_WSBK_Laguna_8W3E3431.JPG

Michael Hill and the rider download sessions were a huge success!

2014_WSBK_Laguna_IMG_0058.JPG

A peek of what it looks like from the top of the Corkscrew looking towards the ocean.

2014_WSBK_Laguna_IMG_0181.JPG

The AMA Superbike race start

2014_WSBK_Laguna_IMG_2247.JPG

• Member Contributer

Alright!

Might be my favorite road race I have ever attended, more of this race to follow.

IMG_5678 2.JPG

fullsizeoutput_146b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_146c.jpeg

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

Alright!

Might be my favorite road race I have ever attended, more of this race to follow.

IMG_5678 2.JPG

This was before I started following road racing but I'm going to guess the Aussie Wayne Gardner?  Thanks for sharing these pics!  I love seeing them!

I miss Laguna Seca. Have not been since i think 2013. Based on the T shirts.

In 2011 Valentino and Nicky were team mates on Ducati.

In the closet I have an autographed T shirt from Rainey, the year they named it Rainey curve.

And 1 from Doohan another year not long after, and he was retired, iirc.

Plus others. And a lot of posters I have not looked at in years.

DSC_0212.JPG

DSC_0219.JPG

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

I miss Laguna Seca. Have not been since i think 2013. Based on the T shirts.

In 2011 Valentino and Nicky were team mates on Ducati.

In the closet I have an autographed T shirt from Rainey, the year they named it Rainey curve.

And 1 from Doohan another year not long after, and he was retired, iirc.

Plus others. And a lot of posters I have not looked at in years.

Sweet!  Thanks for your pics!  2013 was the best year for MotoGP in the US.  3 rounds total.  CotA in April, Laguna in July and then Indy in August(?)

Glad to see another fan here as well.  I have autographs from a lot of the riders using the pics I took in previous years.  I think I did get Doohan to sign one of my paddock passes as well as Rainey.  Both cool guys.

The T4 grandstand are great for watching the races especially if you can see the big screen as well.  In your pics they were doing test starts on the straight between T4 and T5.  Nice shots of Valentino and Colin and of Nicky and Ben.

• Member Contributer

Assen MotoGP 2016

08_2016_Assen_X2_SAT1_Group_001.thumb.JPG.8c856c5edb1921eb85aa7008e5b6a305.JPG

mamola.jpg.f1af7282629cb98dae7946674ceafd43.jpg

• Member Contributer
20 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

Assen MotoGP 2016

08_2016_Assen_X2_SAT1_Group_001.thumb.JPG.8c856c5edb1921eb85aa7008e5b6a305.JPG

mamola.jpg.f1af7282629cb98dae7946674ceafd43.jpg

Awesome Dutchy!  Did you get to ride with Randy Mamola?  Who is the other 2 Up pilot?

Thanks for sharing!

• Member Contributer

Yes I did, that is me heading into "de Bult" corner with Randy.

In the group picture, my wife sits pillion with Randy.

Some guests had NEVER been on a motorcycle....

Randy in 2019 at the Austrian MotoGP with our son

IMG-20190809-WA0010.thumb.jpg.5abebd7c02f4afba837b10c6c4f9acf0.jpg

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Jelorian said:

This was before I started following road racing but I'm going to guess the Aussie Wayne Gardner?  Thanks for sharing these pics!  I love seeing them!

Yup, Wayne Gardner, the Aussie defending gp champion, on the Honda (had to lead with a Honda, this is VFRD after all).

1988 grand prix, Laguna Seca. First gp in the U.S. since the 60's. Televised live on national tv! Around 100,000 fans, around 100 degrees F. In April! 500cc two strokes. Turns 3 and 4 were brand new, to get the track to a still short but minimum length I believe. Eddie Lawson won, threw his helmet into the crowd at the corkscrew. Jimmy Filice won the 250 race as a wild card.

Aside from Gardner and Lawson: Schwantz, Rainey, Mamola, Haslam (Ron), Mike Baldwin (my hero from New England). And the 250 race included names like Kocinski, Puig, Bradl, Mang, Cadalora, and Shobert.

Here's Lawson and PF Chili chasing someone through turn 2:

fullsizeoutput_148d.jpeg

Adding to my wallpaper slideshow folder, thanks gentlemen! 

Also IMO, 1991 Suzuka 500gp race - one of the best ever!

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Yes I did, that is me heading into "de Bult" corner with Randy.

In the group picture, my wife sits pillion with Randy.

Some guests had NEVER been on a motorcycle....

Randy in 2019 at the Austrian MotoGP with our son

IMG-20190809-WA0010.thumb.jpg.5abebd7c02f4afba837b10c6c4f9acf0.jpg

Dutchy, that must have been an amazing experience.  I remember watching a documentary where an F3 driver took Randy out for a spin and it seems like he was trying to scare him....Randy wasn't fazed at all.  Then he returned the favor and took the F3 driver 2 up on his bike and it looks like he scared the living crap out of him.  LOL.

Randy is a character and local to the SF Bay Area.  I hear he used to be a maniac and tear around the local twisties here.

It is funny listening to him speak now.  He's lived in Europe so long that his english has a slight accent.  Hahahha.

16 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

Yup, Wayne Gardner, the Aussie defending gp champion, on the Honda (had to lead with a Honda, this is VFRD after all).

1988 grand prix, Laguna Seca. First gp in the U.S. since the 60's. Televised live on national tv! Around 100,000 fans, around 100 degrees F. In April! 500cc two strokes. Turns 3 and 4 were brand new, to get the track to a still short but minimum length I believe. Eddie Lawson won, threw his helmet into the crowd at the corkscrew. Jimmy Filice won the 250 race as a wild card.

Aside from Gardner and Lawson: Schwantz, Rainey, Mamola, Haslam (Ron), Mike Baldwin (my hero from New England). And the 250 race included names like Kocinski, Puig, Bradl, Mang, Cadalora, and Shobert.

Here's Lawson and PF Chili chasing someone through turn 2:

fullsizeoutput_148d.jpeg

Awesome!  Thanks for the info!  I wish I was into racing back then.   I would have loved to watch those guys race.  I moved to California in 1993 but did not get into racing till 1999.  After that I was hooked.

You mentioned Bradl.  Would he be Stephen Bradl's father?  

10 hours ago, Samuelx said:

Adding to my wallpaper slideshow folder, thanks gentlemen! 

Also IMO, 1991 Suzuka 500gp race - one of the best ever!

Stay tuned!  I have more.  Thanks for the tip on 1991 Suzuka.  I will take a look.

• Member Contributer

Now time for some MotoGP pics!

Valentino at the 2015 Indy GP race

2015_Indy_IMG_2765.JPG

Maverick Vinales at the 2016 GP at the Circuit of Americas in Texas.

2016_MotoGP_Cota+IMG_4233.JPG

Cal Crutchlow at Indy (sorry not sure what year...2015?)

IMG_8087.JPG

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Jelorian said:

Awesome!  Thanks for the info!  I wish I was into racing back then.   I would have loved to watch those guys race.  I moved to California in 1993 but did not get into racing till 1999.  After that I was hooked.

You mentioned Bradl.  Would he be Stephen Bradl's father?  

Jelorian, your action photos are spectacular--if you said they were by Gold n Goose or Rob Gray I wouldn't doubt it.

Yes, Helmut Bradl is father of Stephen Bradl. Likewise Ron Haslam for Leon, and if Wayne Gardner's son Remy continues to perform he will probably move up to motogp next year. And I think you know what Alberto Puig is doing now.

As I refuse to move on from 1988, I submit my favorite photo from that race below. Living on the east coast back then, when I heard that my gp heroes were racing in CA I somehow managed to convince my wife that we and our one-year-old should impose ourselves on her sister in Marin and see the race. Early Saturday morning I arrive at Laguna Seca for the first time in my life in my econobox rental and join the endless line of cars looking to park. All the incredibly friendly Californians are yelling and waving at me.

As we snake our way along, the huge black Mercedes that has been in front of me for the last 20 minutes turns left, and I see the driver. Eddie Lawson. So to this day my story is that I was right on Lawson's tail at the U.S. grand prix!

fullsizeoutput_1487.jpeg

• Member Contributer

OK, this is it, I've saved the absolute worst quality photos of this race for last. I think these are actually photos of slides. I did snap all the photos I've posted though!

The two strokes did plug chops at the end of the straight, then had to take the bikes, with engines off, back to the pits at the end of practice, giving us fans on the turn 2 hill a great chance to see the riders. Here's Schwantz, Rainey, Haslam, and Lawson, on his Marlboro branded scooter. And finally, the view from 2 in '88.

IMG_3325.JPG

IMG_3326.JPG

IMG_3328.JPG

IMG_3329.JPG

IMG_3327.JPG

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

Jelorian, your action photos are spectacular--if you said they were by Gold n Goose or Rob Gray I wouldn't doubt it.

Yes, Helmut Bradl is father of Stephen Bradl. Likewise Ron Haslam for Leon, and if Wayne Gardner's son Remy continues to perform he will probably move up to motogp next year. And I think you know what Alberto Puig is doing now.

As I refuse to move on from 1988, I submit my favorite photo from that race below. Living on the east coast back then, when I heard that my gp heroes were racing in CA I somehow managed to convince my wife that we and our one-year-old should impose ourselves on her sister in Marin and see the race. Early Saturday morning I arrive at Laguna Seca for the first time in my life in my econobox rental and join the endless line of cars looking to park. All the incredibly friendly Californians are yelling and waving at me.

As we snake our way along, the huge black Mercedes that has been in front of me for the last 20 minutes turns left, and I see the driver. Eddie Lawson. So to this day my story is that I was right on Lawson's tail at the U.S. grand prix!

St. Stephen, you are too kind...but thank you.  I appreciate you kind words.  I actually know Tony Goldsmith from Gold N Goose.  An amazing motorsports photographer!  

Love love love these pics and the stories behind them!  "on Lawson's tail at the U.S. grand prix!"  that is awesome!  

I have met Rainey, Lawson, and Schwantz but this was well after they were retired.

I still remember my first time to Laguna and cresting over the hill behind T2 and seeing the whole track in it's racing glory....then the sounds of bikes on track....then the smell of 2 strokes....ahhh......race fans smorgasbord of sensory overload.  Hahaha.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

OK, this is it, I've saved the absolute worst quality photos of this race for last. I think these are actually photos of slides. I did snap all the photos I've posted though!

The two strokes did plug chops at the end of the straight, then had to take the bikes, with engines off, back to the pits at the end of practice, giving us fans on the turn 2 hill a great chance to see the riders. Here's Schwantz, Rainey, Haslam, and Lawson, on his Marlboro branded scooter. And finally, the view from 2 in '88.

Great pics!  I love seeing these older pics and stories behind them.  Makes it more special getting commentary from the person that took them.  I would have loved to have watched these guys race.   Thanks again for sharing and please keep them coming!

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Jelorian said:

Great pics!  I love seeing these older pics and stories behind them.  Makes it more special getting commentary from the person that took them.  I would have loved to have watched these guys race.   Thanks again for sharing and please keep them coming!

Actually, for the benefit of VFRDyou should keep them coming.

As perhaps you've noticed, I'm jonesing for some world championship road racing.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, St. Stephen said:

Actually, for the benefit of VFRDyou should keep them coming.

As perhaps you've noticed, I'm jonesing for some world championship road racing.

Hahaha....glad you are enjoying them!  I'm enjoying your contributions to this thread as well.  

We are all jonesing I'm sure!  I should try and find the MotoGP year in reviews, if they exist for the earlier years.

Archived