Tankbag magnets

TimC

I own three tankbags I use regularly:  an older Icon with decent capacity, a smaller Ogio that is pretty flat, and a nice larger, expandable FirstGear bag I use for long days and tours.

While I've never had one of the smaller, lighter bags fly off my tank (even at "spirited" speeds) I've always felt like the magnets in those bags weren't quite strong enough, especially if I'm carrying something a little heavier in the bag.  So a couple weeks ago I measured the size of the magnets and magnet pockets/flaps in those bags (four each) and found some online that were larger but which would still sit in the pockets.  The new magnets came today, and they aren't even as strong as the originals in the bags.  Disappointing.

Has anyone ever replaced tankbag magnets and what did you buy, or does anyone have suggestions for sourcing them?  Thanks in advance for the help!

• Member Contributer

Hey Tim, I would highly recomment a Givi Tank Lock Bag:

http://giviusa.com/givi-products/soft-luggage/tanklock-system

ea117

There is an attachment ring mounted on the fuel tank filler cap; detachment is a one-second one-handed release lever. I have the medium size and has served me well for many years.

And without magnets, it does not mess with my Boy Scout compass, which, along with my paper maps makes for a cheap analog GPS. :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

I have never replaced magnets in my tankbag but the ones in my tankbag are crazy strong and I haven't felt the need. 🤔

I'm surprised yours are weak enough to concern you

• Member Contributer

I have a medium size Moto Dry magnetic tank bag. Never had a problem, even on long trips with a decent amount of gear in them they don’t budge an inch. Have you actually had a problem with your tank bags moving ect? I suspect if you don’t overload the smaller tank bags they will be fine. You could check product reviews and see if anyone else reports having problems, if there are no complaints this should give you a bit more confidence in them.

51154901-16A1-4A62-99D2-79FD59EF1B81.png

• Member Contributer

No, never replaced the ones in my HELD tankbag of 20+ years. In fact I removed the front ones (from the flaps) because of "thumb clearance"....

12 hours ago, slowbird said:

I have never replaced magnets in my tankbag but the ones in my tankbag are crazy strong and I haven't felt the need. 🤔

I'm surprised yours are weak enough to concern you

Thanks for the replies, guys!  I think part of this for me is frustration.  The magnets I ordered were advertised as 'rare earth,' so I figured they would be stronger than what came in these bags.  Hopefully I can return them, but if not I guess I'll have a nice new set of refrigerator magnets.  😉 

I've never had either bag fly off, or even come close.  The only time I get concerned is when I'm carrying something a bit heavier in the smaller bags with lighter magnets.  Something that weighs a pound or two like a full 20 oz. bottle which, if it were to suddenly shift might break the magnets' hold.

As for the Givi Tank Lock Bag, that will probably be my first purchase when I finally replace my VFR, as many bikes no longer have steel tanks, and I hate the idea of strapping down a tankbag.

I’ve never given the magnets a second thought. I have two Cortech tank bags, the bigger one I’ve had for 9 years and has seen a ton of miles and trips and the smaller one is 7 years old, also seen it’s fair share of miles.

The picture shows my Busa (previous) loaded up, that tank bag was used on my 09’ Busa before losing it in a garage fire. I swore by the bag and luggage. 

0D84F535-8E94-4710-B2F0-C59EE3FD92CB.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I have been using the same Endurance tank bag for over 10 years.

4th.thumb.jpg.6d97fa06dd936669b6f3837b1aa36e3b.jpg

IMG_1590.thumb.JPG.c9b87f47a0e35ab2e5f9005e000d6385.JPG

The stitching that held the magnets in tore after so many years and I lost a couple magnets. I loved it so much I managed to find a almost new one on Ebay and scooped it up.

Here's to another 10+ years.

• Member Contributer

When I retire a tank bag I remove the magnets before I toss it. Use them to keep loose nuts and bolts while I work on machines or to organize my 1/4 sockets so they don't roll away. 

They are great for organizing and spill proofing your spare hardware as well.

I made one half hearted attempt turning a non magnetic bag into a magnetic by gluing a retired magnet bag base of it. Epic fail and hillbilly looking monstrosity. 

Now I shop for for bargains and buy a nice dependable name brand replacement when mine are getting worn out. 

My creativity is far greater than my craftsmanship.

A couple posts above reminded me I had a nice expandable Marsee tankbag for several years.  It had one large compartment and a zippered compartments on both sides.  Had a big clear map pocket on top, and I think a small zip-on front pocket.  I really loved that bag, but it just kept falling apart.  It wasn't the stitching as much as it was the nylon fabric material itself.  I sewed it back together several times, but the side pockets could not be saved, so I just cut them off.  The stitching on the main part of the bag had to be repaired several times, too, but I was afraid I'd start to love smaller items during rides, like having a hole in your pants pocket, so I moved on to the FirstGear bag, which is a terrific bag.  Big, but good for long days and touring.

I just went to the garage to see if I kept that Marsee bag, and I did keep it, but the magnets are too large to use on smaller tankbags.  I checked the Joe Rocket Manta bag, too, but it's the same deal.  Oh well.  Like I said above, I've not had a bag some off yet, so I'll put this on the backburner. 

• Member Contributer

I accidently, and foolishly, discovered another disadvantage of magnetic tank bags. Somewhere on the road I set my tank bag down amongst some metal shavings on the ground. Without noticing, I put the bag back on the tank; when I removed it next, there were all sorts of scratches on the tank. THAT was enough to drive me to the Givi. :angry:

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

I accidently, and foolishly, discovered another disadvantage of magnetic tank bags. Somewhere on the road I set my tank bag down amongst some metal shavings on the ground. Without noticing, I put the bag back on the tank; when I removed it next, there were all sorts of scratches on the tank. THAT was enough to drive me to the Givi. :angry:

Very good point you raise MaxSwell. I don't have a tank bag but can imagine it would be very easy, to unknowingly pick up all sorts of metal debris etc. that could cause paint damage to the tank. Something to be very aware of.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Grum said:

Very good point you raise MaxSwell. I don't have a tank bag but can imagine it would be very easy, to unknowingly pick up all sorts of metal debris etc. that could cause paint damage to the tank. Something to be very aware of.

I have cut down a large microfibre cloth to the same shape and size as the base of my tank bag and simply place this underneath it. I hadn’t actually thought of the magnets picking up debris, I was just not convinced the base of my tank bag wouldn’t scratch the paint. Even with the microfibre cloth under it the bag doesn’t move. Have also tried a piece of the non slip rubber matting they use in caravans, but it leaves a dull mark (polishes out very easily though)

Yes, good point about magnets picking up debris.  I try never to set my tankbag on the actual ground.  When I stop for fuel, it goes on the seat.  If I have to take my helmet off, too, it goes on a footpeg or the right mirror stalk, not the ground.

Like I said above, I'll probably invest in the Givi when I buy my next bike, which will likely have a plastic tank, or at least plastic over the tank, as very few new (or newer) bikes anymore have regular steel tanks.  I'd much prefer the Givi over any strap-down tankbag, which I consider to be both ugly and a PITA to put on and take off.

BTW, just in case anyone wonders, I don't use a tailbag, for two reasons:  I like having access to things like maps, bottle of water, Chapstick, etc. without having to get off the bike, and on long day-rides I strap down an 'emergency pack' to the rear seat with a bungee cord and cargo net.  I actually have a very nice expandable FirstGear tailbag that would fit everything, but again, then I wouldn't be able to just stop for a minute to check a map without getting off the bike.  I don't think I've used that bag since I installed the OEM luggage, but I do store some cold weather riding gear in there.  😉 

• Member Contributer

Another problem with tailbags comes with trying to "swing a leg over the seat" with the tailbag in the way. Especially challenging for vertically challenged peeps like me.

While I do not know if all Japanese motorcycles have a standard fuel tank cap, if they do, the Givi tank bag with it's fuel-cap-installed ring would transfer to your next Japanese mc. If that the case, why wait?

21 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

Another problem with tailbags comes with trying to "swing a leg over the seat" with the tailbag in the way. Especially challenging for vertically challenged peeps like me.

While I do not know if all Japanese motorcycles have a standard fuel tank cap, if they do, the Givi tank bag with it's fuel-cap-installed ring would transfer to your next Japanese mc. If that the case, why wait?

I myself am vertically challenged.  😉 I'm 5'8", but have very short legs for my height.  I'm sure it looks comical, but what I have something strapped down to the rear seat, I basically grab my right leg pants cuff, and lift my right foot onto the rider seat, and slide onto the bike.  I can lift the leg over the pack to get off the bike, but getting on is a chore.  One more reason I use a tankbag, like I said, easier access to stuff so I don't necessary have to get off the bike for a quick stop.

My next bike might not be Japanese.  I keep looking at BMWs.  I'll probably make it through at this this season before I buy anything else though, so I'll "stick" with the magnetic tankbags for now.  😉 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, TimC said:

I myself am vertically challenged.  😉 I'm 5'8", but have very short legs for my height.  I'm sure it looks comical, but what I have something strapped down to the rear seat, I basically grab my right leg pants cuff, and lift my right foot onto the rider seat, and slide onto the bike.  I can lift the leg over the pack to get off the bike, but getting on is a chore.  One more reason I use a tankbag, like I said, easier access to stuff so I don't necessary have to get off the bike for a quick stop.

My next bike might not be Japanese.  I keep looking at BMWs.  I'll probably make it through at this this season before I buy anything else though, so I'll "stick" with the magnetic tankbags for now.  😉 

I get around this problem by having the bike on the centre stand putting my left leg on the left peg and swinging my right leg over. Obviously a problem if you don’t have a centre stand.

4 hours ago, Philois1984 said:

I get around this problem by having the bike on the centre stand putting my left leg on the left peg and swinging my right leg over. Obviously a problem if you don’t have a centre stand.

I've thought of that, and I do have a center stand, but I'm a big guy, and I worry about tipping the bike over when I put all my weight on the left peg.  Maybe that would never happen, but I'd still worry.

4 hours ago, thepretender said:

I've never had an issue with a magnets not holding and don't give it a thought anymore.

I prefer the karate kick method of getting my leg over with a tail bag.

Bonus points if you yell "Heyahh!!" as you do it, right?  😉 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, TimC said:

I've thought of that, and I do have a center stand, but I'm a big guy, and I worry about tipping the bike over when I put all my weight on the left peg.  Maybe that would never happen, but I'd still worry.

Bonus points if you yell "Heyahh!!" as you do it, right?  😉 

I’m a fairly big guy too, about 105kg in my birthday suit, but I have never had a problem. Just don’t take a running leap at it and you should be fine (on solid ground of course)

• Member Contributer

And by the way these days I tend to yell OOOHH AHHHH rather than yeeee haaaa

• Member Contributer

I have used a tail bag and I do the a modified karate kick. Raise my right leg and bend my whole body slightly away for the seat and then do a few short hops toward the seat. My vocalizations run along the lines of "Uuffff!. This gets harder every year."

On 6/4/2020 at 9:01 PM, MaxSwell said:

I have used a tail bag and I do the a modified karate kick. Raise my right leg and bend my whole body slightly away for the seat and then do a few short hops toward the seat. My vocalizations run along the lines of "Uuffff!. This gets harder every year."

I used that technique a few times today.  It's a little awkward, but so is hoisting my right leg up by the cuff and sliding onto the bike.  Maybe I'll just buy a Honda Grom for my next bike!  😉 

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Late reply here but just curious as to the pockets that are holding the magnets?  The magnets in my Wolfman tankbag are sewn in and not replaceable unless I cut the pocket open.  Never had any a problems with it even when fully expanded with a lot of various things, bottles of water included.  You could always put a few of the "rare earth" magnets you got on your oil filter

.20200718_150811c.thumb.jpg.faff32ca0ddb8f770f09efef336b680c.jpg

13 hours ago, Jelorian said:

Late reply here but just curious as to the pockets that are holding the magnets?  The magnets in my Wolfman tankbag are sewn in and not replaceable unless I cut the pocket open.  Never had any a problems with it even when fully expanded with a lot of various things, bottles of water included.  You could always put a few of the "rare earth" magnets you got on your oil filter.

The two smaller tank bags I have with the weaker magnets have small pockets for those magnets, with Velcro fastening the pockets.  Earlier this summer I measured the pockets, and searched the web for a pack of stronger magnets which would fit into those pockets.  Thought I'd found the perfect ones, a set of 10 (I think), and ordered them.  But I was very disappointed when they arrived though, as the magnets weren't even as strong as what I already had.

I have an old Joe Rocket Manta tankbag I haven't used in years, and remembered the magnets in that were pretty strong.  But they're too large for the pockets on the bags I use regularly now.  I could just use that bag, but I don't really like the shape of it anymore.

Anyway, I've mostly forgotten about searching for replacements.  Maybe something to spend some time on again this fall.

Archived