4th gen usd forks, best and easiest fit?

Hey folks, I'm building something to look like a HRC RVF from the early 90's.

Bought some 954 forks and yokes a long while back, but at a guess after fitting they are about 75mm too short.

What's a good fit without too much grief, 954 yokes with other legs?

Thanks in advance.

IMG20200403182640.jpg

• Member Contributer

The RC51, RVT1000, forks and wheel should bolt right in to the 954 clamps and give enough length. As I recall the spacing is the same with on the clamps between the two.

• Member Contributer

Quite possibly, but the most direct bolt-on is to use RC51 forks/wheel/brakes and the yokes you have.  It's an expensive way to go, but it all works together and looks right.

Ciao,

JZH

RC51, SP1 bottom yoke.

954 top yoke.

Bottom bearing RC51, SP1. With a 3mm spacer between the frame and bearing race.

Top bearing, VFR

Forks, RC 51 SP1, SP2. I used the Ohlins from my SP2.

Front fender. SP2

Front rim. The SP2 is a 5 spoke. Matches the number of spokes on the rear. The SP1 is a 6 spoke.

You have to remove the steering stops on the bottom yoke. 

VFR.jpg

3 hours ago, Chuwachi said:

Cool! 

Trouble is idk how that set up would go with a 4th gen, the leg lengths are what I need to find out...

From searching this forum and seeing other people mods, i changed on my 4th Gen VFR to RC51 SP1 forks, detailed info:

Honda RC51 SP1 Forks - The Forks are from memory 2-3 cm shorter but no problem on clearance travel.

Triple from CBR 929 - ( CBR954 i think it's the same part) -  With roller type bearings of CBR 929

CBR 954/929 Top Yoke - With roller type bearings, the original ball bearings would make the triple shake over 100Km\h. The Roller type bearings are a bit "taller" and the clamping is tighter, no problem after that.

Honda SP1 Wheel

CBR 954 Calipers and master cylinder

Honda CBR1000 RR 2006-2007 Front Discs - Alternative option to the SP1's

LSL 2cm "raised" Clip-ons - Installed right under the top yoke - Would smashed the instrument panel gauges - ( i want the maintain the original cluster gauge and functional) - Modified the panel, by cutting the 3 supports stem's and sitting it lower on the bracket

CBR 954/929 - Front fender

Fork bumper-stop - The turning radius is smaller but only drama is when moving bike from stationary to park it.

93802.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

1st gen R1 or K6 GSXR600/750 forks are about as long as it's gonna get. The latter having the better internals and radial calipers. Offset is much shorter on them though

• 2 months later...
On 6/30/2020 at 8:51 AM, RC36 said:

1st gen R1 or K6 GSXR600/750 forks are about as long as it's gonna get. The latter having the better internals and radial calipers. Offset is much shorter on them though

What year GSXr 750 and what triple for that set up 

11 hours ago, RacingTomato said:

What year GSXr 750 and what triple for that set up 

I have a K5 600/750 setup on my 4th gen. I have all the info if that's what you're looking for.

On a side note, how long are the K6 600/750 or 1000 forks?

9 hours ago, monstar said:

I have a K5 600/750 setup on my 4th gen. I have all the info if that's what you're looking for.

On a side note, how long are the K6 600/750 or 1000 forks?

Now that’s what I need to hear ! The tubes on my 4th gen need a retirement plan ... please share or link to your thread 

4 hours ago, RacingTomato said:

Now that’s what I need to hear ! The tubes on my 4th gen need a retirement plan ... please share or link to your thread 

Here is what I have... keep in mind, I bought the bike with this frontend. This is what I have found through some digging:

2004/05 600/750

FORKS (length ~712mm center axle to top of tube)

gold/chrome legs, gold calipers
300mm rotors (I made custom spacers/bearings to run the vfr wheel and stock 296mm rotors)
850 springs

2005/06 1000

TRIPLES

30mm offset, 207mm spaced, 50mm top clamp and 54mm lower clamp, 28mm bore (have no idea about bearings, but I assume suzuki upper and lower)

I believe I have 09-11 1000 lower clamp w/ an 06+ 600/750 top clamp. They have the same measurements as above just different color and key location.

The previous owner mixed and matched I guess.

Here's a link to how I found this out:

https://www.svrider.com/threads/gsxr-fork-information-permutations.135430/

Hope this helps

Don't mean to thread jack but since we're on the subject, are the K5 1000 or K6 600/750/1000 forks longer? I'm not sure if I'll keep the suzuki frontend longterm. That all depends.

Are the RC51 forks that much better than my K5 600/750 forks given both have been sprung and rebuilt for my purposes?

My idea in the meantime is to change my triples to 929/954 and use the gsxr forks I have. See what kind of adjustability I have with the bike geometry and go from there. I kinda want to use as much Honda parts on my honda if I can though so may at some point go RC51 forks.

Archived