6th gen center stand replacement

RADU

Hello guys,

How do you remove/install the center stand to a 6th gen? Mine is very rusted and i want to bring it down, paint it and then put it back, but i can't see how to remove it because the exhaust pipes are very near it; there does not seem to be enough space for the screw to come out because of the exhaust.

So is it possible, or for this action the exhaust pipes need to be first removed?

THx

• Member Contributer

to gain access you will need to remove the exhaust. Some say you can get away with just loosening it, but if you're going through all that effort you might as well take it off.

If I remember correctly, the cat has a bracket attached to one of the centerstand mounting bolts.

It's been a bit since I'v had my exhaust off now

• Member Contributer

+1 ^^^.  The bolt on the cat goes through the shock mount. The CS bolts have loctite on them - mine squeaked loudly upon removal - at a couple of points I thought the right side bolt might break but was fine.  You'll need new crush washers for the headers or it will leak.    Most importantly,  the right (clutch) side CS bolt is LEFT hand thread,  so to loosen turn clockwise.  

On 5/28/2020 at 6:08 PM, Cogswell said:

+1 ^^^.  The bolt on the cat goes through the shock mount. The CS bolts have loctite on them - mine squeaked loudly upon removal - at a couple of points I thought the right side bolt might break but was fine.  You'll need new crush washers for the headers or it will leak.

my shock was changed with a custom one from a cbr f4, but nevertheless i don t see the bolt on the catalizer going through the shock mount.

You'll need new crush washers for the headers or it will leak.

what headers? what will leak?

Nevertheless, i decided not to take of the center stand for painting it, because it appears to be very difficult. I tried to losen the exhaust mounts so i can bend the exhaust segment which covers the center stand screw, but i was not able to accomplish that. It appears i have to just take off the entire exhaust (from front cylinders to the rear wheel). It's too much of a pain to do this , except if there would be a exhaust system job scheduled (like changing or refurbish it).

Thx anyway guys.

Archived