Check in and questions

trmoyer

34 minutes ago, ducnut said:

Just for clarification, the SH847 is a Series R/R and the FH020 is a MOSFET R/R. They’re two completely different circuitries. Series opens/closes the charging circuit, as needed. This allows the R/R and stator to run much cooler, as the stator isn’t constantly producing energy. It’s a superior R/R. MOSFET is still a shunt-style R/R, just like the original. It gets hot, just like the original. The circuitry is better than the original, which is why they’re more reliable. The stator is required to constantly produce energy, since the regulator is constantly shunting it off as heat. 

This is good info to know and understand when deciding which way to go especially if there’s plans for electronic accessories. I occasionally run a GPS but that’s it. As it stands I’m probably going to get the FH020 but SH847 isn’t out of the question. It’s just a matter of balancing the budget on this old girl, what’s realistic for the intended use and not get carried away. 

• Member Contributer
On 5/28/2020 at 5:36 PM, Grum said:

Yep those stator connections look bad. Definitely solder and sleeve, then see what your charge readings are.

This is the thing that solved my charging issues, been good for 10 years or so.

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, trmoyer said:

This is good info to know and understand when deciding which way to go especially if there’s plans for electronic accessories. I occasionally run a GPS but that’s it. As it stands I’m probably going to get the FH020 but SH847 isn’t out of the question. It’s just a matter of balancing the budget on this old girl, what’s realistic for the intended use and not get carried away. 

Despite what Jack’s page mentions about accessories and such, it’s not really relevant. What matters is how they work. Jack’s harness uses the battery as a power bank. With an SH847, once it senses the battery’s voltage drop, it’ll close the charging circuit and top up the battery, then, open the circuit, allowing things to cool. This is what offers component longevity. With the FH020, it will be seeing the stator’s maximum output, at all times. The stator and R/R will always be functioning at their maximum, which isn’t optimal and doesn’t allow anything to catch a break. 

It’s not getting carried away. The SH847 is spending a bit more money to increase longevity of components, by using the latest, available technology. 

Below are images I lifted from another page, comparing component temps between a shunt-style R/R and Series R/R. It’s pretty telling. 

5C22C898-6DB3-4D73-B598-A2D8B2094373.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Quick note - agree the FH020AA is the MOSFET shunt R/R...but it does not get hot, I can put my hand on it, and its warm yes, but not hot.....  

It still functions fine as it should. Plenty have been sold with no issues and its still a viable option. 

Also the thermal images above are with an older shunt (non MOSFET) OEM R/R and the Series R/R is a Compufire design. I believe the bike is an Aprilia. 

But is still a good data point.  (I did run a Compufire for 4 seasons) 

And again for the halibut... 

Here's my install of the FH020AA... - at the time I got this, I was in a hurry to get the bike on the road, so I went with this because I knew I 

could get it to mount quickly.  I did consider the 847 at the time, but I didnt want to invent the mount up. 

In retrospect, I bet one of my 6th gen mount plates would do the job in the OEM spot!

20170506_234252-L.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 5/29/2020 at 5:06 AM, ducnut said:

^^^ Spot-on.

I ended up mounting mine on the underside of the rear fender. On my SV, I mounted it under the seat. 

1652310F-E199-4EFC-8C64-539BEC6EEDB3.jpeg

At one point during the (ongoing) development of my RC36 mods I was able to get an 847 centred under the tail with the fins going fore and aft (for superior air flow, lol).

387857861_2016-11-1310_54_13x.thumb.jpg.a45939ffc09185acd588ee1f04e80e9c.jpg

I've moved on to a different design for my aluminium undertray, but I will probably put the 847 in the same location, since I now know it fits.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, mello dude said:

Quick note - agree the FH020AA is the MOSFET shunt R/R...but it does not get hot, I can put my hand on it, and its warm yes, but not hot.....  

It still functions fine as it should. Plenty have been sold with no issues and its still a viable option. 

Also the thermal images above are with an older shunt (non MOSFET) OEM R/R and the Series R/R is a Compufire design. I believe the bike is an Aprilia. 

But is still a good data point.  (I did run a Compufire for 4 seasons) 

And again for the halibut... 

Here's my install of the FH020AA... - at the time I got this, I was in a hurry to get the bike on the road, so I went with this because I knew I 

could get it to mount quickly.  I did consider the 847 at the time, but I didnt want to invent the mount up. 

In retrospect, I bet one of my 6th gen mount plates would do the job in the OEM spot!

20170506_234252-L.jpg

It’s been quite some time since I grabbed those images and don’t exactly remember all the context, but, is an Aprilia. 

I wish I would’ve bought your plate, if for nothing else, just to try it. 

8 hours ago, JZH said:

At one point during the (ongoing) development of my RC36 mods I was able to get an 847 centred under the tail with the fins going fore and aft (for superior air flow, lol).

387857861_2016-11-1310_54_13x.thumb.jpg.a45939ffc09185acd588ee1f04e80e9c.jpg

I've moved on to a different design for my aluminium undertray, but I will probably put the 847 in the same location, since I now know it fits.

Ciao,

JZH

I mounted mine as I did for aesthetics of the wiring. The R/R is exposed on the sides and seeing plugs didn’t look good. 

• Member Contributer

I just had mine fail a month ago so installed a FH020AA and it's nice to not have to worry the bike will start far from home. Highly recommend!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, interceptor69 said:

I just had mine fail a month ago so installed a FH020AA and it's nice to not have to worry the bike will start far from home. Highly recommend!

Yes exactly. I placed an order yesterday, now just to get it in hand and install it. 

Finally an update. My order from Jack arrived today (it was supposed to be here last Friday but just USPS Priority couldn’t manage). Installed the kit then out for a quick 70 mile rip. Everything is as it should be and I double checked everything after getting home. Life is good again. 

Thank you guys for the advice and guidance! 

AC44669F-B8F6-4582-B4CB-F7352DDAE495.jpeg

2351F304-D383-4FD5-8704-117FBEDD8103.jpeg

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

Did you buy the mounting plate?

On the 5th gen a mount plate is not needed for the FH020aa. Can you drill 2 holes?

The Sh847 will need some creativity to mount on 5th gen.

6th gens I sell mount plates for that.

• Member Contributer

I've already mounted mine-redneck engineering-style tho! I wish I'd known it wasn't plug and play when I ordered it but it seems fairly secure.

4 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

Did you buy the mounting plate?

As mello commented, no plate needed. Just eye-ball things up and drill a couple holes. I actually drilled two sets as the first time it placed it to high and rubbed the tail section so I slid it down and to the rear a little. If you open up the picture and look close the first attempt shows. Mounting it as it makes a tight turn of the cabling but it’s works. 

I think I drilled one hole for the FZ-09 regulator I am running.  Stock location and used one stock mounting hole maybe?  

It does not get hot so no need to mess around with more cooling.

Archived